Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Power Loss Problem No 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Power Loss Problem No 2

This fault may be similar to the fault listed by Window Blind.

The Fault: Occurs intermittently when towing our caravan on steep inclines, but not all inclines. The vehicle goes through cycles of continually losing power, faltering and then recovering. It appears to us that the vehicle is either starving for fuel or that the turbo is cutting out. This causes us much anxiety as we are never certain that the vehicle will come to a halt on the hill. We have noticed that this seems to occur more in hot weather, but not always in hot weather.

No fault message appears on the displays.

The Disco is a MY05 and the fault has occurred at least eight times over the past two years. It always occurs when we are travelling and the vehicle has been to five different dealers and they have been unable to isolate the fault. The warranty has now expired so I am attempting to get the warranty extended for this particular fault - no luck as yet.

Last month it happened again while we were travelling and again the dealer in the area found nothing. He stated in the Service Note:

“traced fault to suspect fuel volume control valve, contacted Land Rover who suggested checking gearbox oil, clearing codes & resetting computers then seeing which fault codes return”.

All checks done.

I would have liked to have left the vehicle with the dealer to check out the volume control valve but he said he would need the vehicle for a good few days to strip the engine to find the required part, find out the part number and order one (most probably from the UK). His documentation does not list the part number. As we were on a tight schedule we had to continue.

The fault occured again on the way home.

The Disco is now in the local dealers (new dealer with very limited knowledge) and they are now looking at the problem again.

We await the outcome.

Any suggestions???

Regards

Bob
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #4141043rd Feb 2009 9:35 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Bob
Might not be the same problem but mine
did the same in heavy rain a few years ago when towing with the lighhts on.
Turned out i had a bad earth connection in the trailer plug.
The thing would just come to a stop on the side of the road.
Once i rewired rhe plug it was ok.
Must say that yours sounds like a different problem
 Pete  
Post #4141563rd Feb 2009 12:11 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Bob,
We have had issues with the cloth filter on the fuel pump
in the tank, restricting the flow on top end as well. Worth looking
in to.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #4141833rd Feb 2009 1:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >