Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Cape York '09
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Mr.Hamster

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rough details about the trip are up! http://www.nudgee.com/public/news/community/headed-cape-york

And here is the detailed trip plan http://visumdesign.net/store/capeyork.pdf

Post #42041612th Feb 2009 7:03 am
Mr.Hamster

Well I'm trying to save my dad from hiring a 4x4, Ewww...

I'm wondering if the Thule roof racks are any good as the $2000 land rover expedition rack? As I've been looking around and the Thule one's are around $500 and under? We already have the Rola things fitted from the Rola Pod we have.

We've been quoted $670 per tyre for the Goodyear Wrangler MTR 255/55/19, Guy is happy to do a discount as we are getting 6 of them.

Also is there anywhere we can get a second hand rim from? As LR want to charge us $1,534.20 for a rim!

and $720 for the Snorkle

Hamish =]

Post #42652622nd Feb 2009 7:52 am
catweasel

Mr.Hamster wrote:
Also is there anywhere we can get a second hand rim from? As LR want to charge us $1,534.20 for a rim!

and $720 for the Snorkle
try UK ebay. post will be a killer but I priced 5 rims airfreight at $1200 (17's) but I'm sure one 19" plus post will be cheaper than LR if someone here cant provide.  
Post #42653522nd Feb 2009 9:13 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Get the Safari snorkel, it's a snorkek and cheaper than the LR RAI or make your own. Whistle
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #42654122nd Feb 2009 9:43 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or PM KEN he may have the wheels Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #42654322nd Feb 2009 9:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

caverD3 wrote:
Get the Safari snorkel, it's a snorkek and cheaper than the LR RAI or make your own. Whistle
and if you go wading like its a snorkel dont forget to spend a few weeks making sure breathers, connectors etc are water proof, or you could stick to the recommended wading depth and not worry too much.  
Post #42655522nd Feb 2009 10:12 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Mr Hamster

What rims have you got? I have a spare FFRR 19" rim that I'd be willing to lend. Currently it does not have a tyre fitted. Saves buying one. I'm in Brisbane pm me if you are interested.

DT
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #42658722nd Feb 2009 11:49 am
catweasel

personally if you already have 5 rims I would just take a carcass and some tyre levers etc. personal choice though Wink

Post #42664122nd Feb 2009 2:10 pm
Mr.Hamster

Hey, The school are wanting us to take a second rim along with the spare as it'll save time with fittings and all that jazz, and incase we blow more than one tyre...

And Desert Traveller, We've got the Rims with the 6 spoke....

Also, Where is the best place to get these cheaper snorkel's from?

Post #42667922nd Feb 2009 4:26 pm
catweasel

so what is the school gonna do if you blow two Rolling Eyes and if you wish to have the extra weight of a sixth rim and less storage space then that is your choice (not the schools), also a thanks chaps, please etc doesnt go astray Confused Rolling Eyes

Post #42668622nd Feb 2009 4:51 pm
Mr.Hamster

catweasel wrote:
so what is the school gonna do if you blow two Rolling Eyes and if you wish to have the extra weight of a sixth rim and less storage space then that is your choice (not the schools), also a thanks chaps, please etc doesnt go astray Confused Rolling Eyes

They'd laugh! That's what they'd do Razz lol

And free hugs for all who have been helping! Thanks =]

On another note, Dad's heavily leaning towards hiring a 4x4 for the trip =[ which is a major let down, Was really wanting to see what the Damn Disco can do, apart from tackling the speed bumps and little children.

Post #42703123rd Feb 2009 12:23 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

If you have a D3 why take a lesser vehicle? Hire 4x4's are basic and can be very expensive especially if any damage occurs.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #42790224th Feb 2009 11:29 am
Mr.Hamster

Desert Traveller wrote:
If you have a D3 why take a lesser vehicle? Hire 4x4's are basic and can be very expensive especially if any damage occurs.

I honestly don't know, can you please knock some sense into him? Sargent rentals hasn't even bothered to call back when i submited a quote for dad... I highly doubt 4x4 companies would let him rent a 4x4 for use up at Cape York, we all know whats up there...

Post #42921326th Feb 2009 11:11 am
cartm58

I did the Cape York trip in 1986 in a Nissan short wheel base turbo diesel, all l can say about the trip is that the biggest danger is the corrugations in the road they are absolute shockers and vibrate the vehicle and its contents to death and really test any welding on the car like roof racks, tow bar, rear wheel carriers.

A D3 should survivie the track with little or no problems

Water crossings yeah a snorkel is handy but you can also do them safely with a blind over the front of the car which you can improvise with a 6x4 blue tarp and rubber bands over your side mirrors and tied off under your car

As for storage jsut use plastic crates with lockable lids and stack inside week food so you dont sort through the boxes looking for things.

Post #48890530th Jun 2009 5:18 am
stewmair

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

With Dolium's Boab drawers and the third row of seats out you can access the spare wheel winder as well as reduce weight.
 Cooper S/Ts, Dynamic 17x7s, Rotronics 3 way battery control, Boab drawers, Polaris camera, Mitch Bros tow, 4x4Intell wheel carrier and cargo barrier, Obie's rear wndow protector, Windcheetah roofrack, Featherlite rooftop tent, Faultmate, Trakmaster Nullabor 17. VK3PR VHF UHF.
Rover 75 

Post #4894151st Jul 2009 5:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >