Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

mud tyres and wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
simon.foster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
mud tyres and wheels

As a keen offroader and having acquired a Disco3 s manual I am struggling around for wheels and tyres for my car. I am going to keep my 18 inch wheels and tyres but would like 17, 18 or 19inch mud tyres. It would seem that only 255/55 R19 Goodyear MTRs can fit and I can't seem to buy a set off spare 19 inch rims off Land Rover. How can LR realease a car with one tyre choice? Does anybody have any ideas? Do Range Rover 19 inch wheels fit?

Post #210911th Apr 2005 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jzk

United States 

You think that is bad? Those 19" MTRs are not even available here in the US.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #212012th Apr 2005 2:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon.foster

How can LR launch a car that can only fit a limited range of mud tyres?

Post #212312th Apr 2005 8:30 am
jzk

United States 

I agree. There are no mud tires available in the US. Just because they call the stock Wranglers "Mud and Snow" doesn't make it so.

When I did go off road, my tires were a significant handicap. So, I am trying this solution this weekend for the pipeline trip:

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/c=4HTtE9F...product/FT

If it works, then I think it will be a convenient solution for now. It will certainly be easier than changing out my wheels when I want to offroad.
 LR3 HSE

Post #214812th Apr 2005 2:49 pm
Pelyma

England 

Maybe you should read Simon's post on his Eastnor experience, that was on standard tyres.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #215012th Apr 2005 3:17 pm
jzk

United States 

Ok, I read it. Be honest. Do the tires matter? Sure they do. However well Simon did with his stock tires, had he some real mud tires, and he would have fared all that much better.

When I did Lake Geneva (I posted pictures on the other thread), there were several of us that had the stock Wranglers. A black RR and a Sliver D2 comes to mind. I remember the silver D2 being very off road equipped but for those tires. Where I struggled, he struggled even more. As I explained in my post on the other thread, the only hill I couldn't get up was one where I bottomed out the front and rear bumper at the bottom of the hill. There was, however, an older RR that made it up, and he definitely had some mud tires.
 LR3 HSE

Post #215312th Apr 2005 3:28 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Jzk,

If the approach angle is just too steep if instead of approaching it dead square on, but at a slight, and I mean no more than 15 degrees!!, you will find the approach ramp angle is miinimised. However once going up go straight up. This method works for both fornt and rear, and thus you shouldn't damage the bumpers or take have the field up with you. As for the very top of the hill, there is nothing you can do regarding the breakover angle, except land softly, ie: reduce the power just the the front wheel make the crest. With the case of the D2 this protected the solid beam diff, however if you are going to ground the vehicle on it's belly, and the D3's wheels are far apart so you just may!! do it softly and you should live another day to try again Smile

As per my last reply to you on another thread, turning DSC will help especially when the front wheels get to the top of the hill and may lose traction. This is definately not the time for DSC to start worrying and pushing power all over the place so turning if off makes life far simpler.

Have fun,

Smile

Post #216012th Apr 2005 4:41 pm
BN

England 

simon.f the 17" wheels are no good as I do not know of any off road tyres for that size. Try calling my tyre supplies who know all about serious off road wheels and ask for Gary or Mark. They are Nene Offroad on 01604 781187. These guys are also the best price in town. They will know you are talking serious off road. They also supply wheels. We have just found that the new RR Sport fits the D3. They have the answers. PM me and I will tell you more if you wish.

Post #217312th Apr 2005 5:56 pm
jzk

United States 

" the 17" wheels are no good as I do not know of any off road tyres for that size."

Do you care about increasing OD from 30" to 32.5"? If not, go super swampers. SSR 265/70R17.

The Land Rover 17" rim will not fit on my HSE.
 LR3 HSE

Post #217812th Apr 2005 9:01 pm
simon.foster

I believe my TDV6s should sfit the Land Rover standard 17 inch rims that come with the basic model. The only tyres I have found are

All terrain
265/70/17 BF Goodrich
235/65/17 Pirelli
265/70/17 Pirelli

Mud terrain
265/70/17 Goodyear mud tyre
265/70/17 Wildcat ext/durango
255/55/19 Goodyear mud terrain

The standard 17 inch wheels from the factory have 235/70/17 tyres on and I am concerned about the difference in rolling radius. Will the change in size just affect the speedo or will there be other ramification?

Post #222513th Apr 2005 11:03 am
jzk

United States 

"Will the change in size just affect the speedo or will there be other ramification?"

For whatever it is worth, I am told by Land Rover that only the speedo will be affected. And, that can be recalibrated.
 LR3 HSE

Post #223913th Apr 2005 2:31 pm
simon.foster

Been up to Langdale Quest this weekend and the Disco handled beautifully even on the standard Wrangler tyres. However I have now order a set of 255/55R19 Goodyear MTR together with a set of Range Rover alloys so I should be unstoppable.

Post #250918th Apr 2005 9:24 pm
simon.foster

Unfortunately it looks like the Range Rover wheels don't fit! They foul the brake caliper. Fortunately Nene Valley are sorting me out. Looks like genuine Disco 3 wheels only.
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #263621st Apr 2005 1:30 pm
BN

England 

Simon, Nene are good lads, who did you deal with Mark or Gary.

Post #264421st Apr 2005 3:22 pm
simon.foster

It was Gary, he tried out the Rangey 19" wheels on TDV6 Disco 3 of a friend and they fitted yet when I got mine delivered this morning they fouled the caliper. Gary is taking the wheels back and has already got plans to sort me out with replacement wheels. Good service.
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #264621st Apr 2005 3:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >