Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Self curing suspension fault??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Self curing suspension fault??

Driving along a fantastic cliff top green lane yesterday, the (all too) familiar "suspension fault" message appeared. Just about to stop & restart, when it cleared itself!

Does anyone else's do this? Every time up to now I have had to switch the ignition off and on again to clear the fault
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #3858923rd Jan 2006 12:30 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Three times it's done this now, big bump in a track, vehicle reacts with the "suspension failure" message, then about 50yds later it flashes up the message Normal Height Selected (no input from me) and then continues as if nothing ever happened.

Should I be pleased that it not cures itself, or worried that somethings about to break?

Dave.
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #409384th Feb 2006 12:38 am
Ecosse

Best to take it to the dealer for diagnostics - mine did the same this week, dealer checked & failed compressor which they replaced immediately (I got the impression that it was not the first one!)

Post #409414th Feb 2006 8:08 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

DaveT wrote:
Three times it's done this now, big bump in a track, vehicle reacts with the "suspension failure" message, then about 50yds later it flashes up the message Normal Height Selected (no input from me) and then continues as if nothing ever happened.

Were you travelling at speed? Another cause could be a defective height sensor.

Post #409434th Feb 2006 9:24 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

or loose ECU connector.

Well documented in the GTR docs so dealer should know the fault and cure

-s

Post #409444th Feb 2006 10:31 am
DaveT

Thanks for the replies / info, It's already on its 3rd compressor, and replaced wiring connector block. On previous occasions (many!) it has always needed switching off/on to "reset". the new development was its ability to reset itself.

Winger - always at low speed, usually when one wheel extends into a rut (ie. draws air from reservior).

However, yesterday it threw every possible error message at me (about a dozen of them) and sank to access height. Restarting restored normality.
This was followed by an immediate visit to my helpful local dealer, who has taken all details in order to check with l/r on Monday.

Post #411065th Feb 2006 9:10 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Make sure they look at TSB No.LA303-005. he fault code is P0401. Fixed with a software update.

"A customer may report a concern that following engine start in cold weather conditions, multiple chassis system related warning lamps are illuminated and that the air suspension is lowered to the access position"

Post #411125th Feb 2006 9:42 pm
DaveT

Winger,
Many thanks, will do.

Post #411175th Feb 2006 9:47 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

It may be a false track, but you problem may noy be directly related to the suspension system.

Post #411265th Feb 2006 10:00 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Just been advised by my partner that the dashboard lit up with all sorts of suspension messages (HDC, special programmes, etc), so booked the car in for a check over on Friday. Already somewhat apprehensive as having been told the problem, the service chap blithely stated that this was not unusual and they'd plug in the test book and clear the errors.

Think I might quote Winger's TSB number and insist they check the connectors as well, especially in the light of having turfed another couple of mice out of the house last week.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #412456th Feb 2006 2:18 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Did the warning lights just light up on start-up, then go off (with a bong) - as in engine cranks, fires and runs, and almost simultaneously various warning lights flash on and off, special programmes off comes up on the message display and there is a bong?

Post #412476th Feb 2006 2:22 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

John, thanks.
I'm relying on hearsay, so can't confirm it. However, if what you was correct, is there a particular course of action to follow?
I haven't had the error in the last few days when it has been cold, so perhaps that discounts the TSB you quote.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #412496th Feb 2006 2:26 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Lex, if what you are experiencing is what I have outlined, and if the car is being started from cold, it isn't an error as such - it is the result of a short-term drop in voltage as more power is being taken by the injector heaters and the starter cranking a cold engine. Once the thing is running, if the warning lights remain on, then there is a deeper issue to resolve.

Post #412506th Feb 2006 2:30 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

I suspect a deeper problem, as she told me that she'd restarted three times but a light or two remained lit.

Fingers crossed it's just a loose connection - I'm now starting to think I may have been responsible in swapping the fog light 15A fuse for the washer fuse last night - perhaps I loosened one of the wire clusters in failing to reach the 15A spare.

I'll whack on the head torch tonight and take another shufti when I get home, but I'll leave the garage appointment either way.

Thanks for your time, John, and hope to see you soon. lex

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #412516th Feb 2006 2:42 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

I'll send you something else to look at on the email if the lights are staying on.

Post #412526th Feb 2006 2:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >