DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Paint loss from grill after service and clean
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Paint loss from grill after service and clean

Hi all,
I had the car serviced for it's 18/12 and noted that some paint was missing from the front grill so that the Black plastic was visable. It is about 4cm long and 2-3cm wide on the drivers side and a few spots of about 5mm on the passenger side. Both areas are in the same respective spots at the side of the tophorizontal part of the grill where they meet the side vertical bits.
Anyway, I wonder how this bodes for the MY09 vehicles that have the painted wheel arches? I suspect we will see (or rather Landrover will) LOTS of complaints as the paints comes off with a bit of UV and washing after a year or so.
I also have a 2000 Volvo XC70 with painted plastic strips where the roof rack rails would go and they also are VERY flaky with large bits of plastic visable Shocked
Anyway am yet to email the pictures I took to the service guys and see what they say.
 regards
Peter

Post #36628529th Oct 2008 4:45 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Peter, my car is nearly 3 years old and is showing no signs of paint flaking or chipping on the front grille. I have used high pressure cleaners in the past, however I wonder how frequent you wash yours? Is there any chance that the grill was scraped with something? ie tree branch whilst going through scrub or something?

i do agree however on how bad other cars look when paint comes off previously unpainted surfaces.
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #36628729th Oct 2008 6:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

LR spent £15miliion on adapting the paint shop process to ensure that all plastic paint applications for 09MY on would be very robust ...notwithstanding that ...any defects will be covered by the paint warranty Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #36632329th Oct 2008 9:50 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pbhawkin,
Get dealer to fix. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36636529th Oct 2008 11:45 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

3 year paint surface warranty.

Get is done through a dealer. Thumbs Up
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #36672330th Oct 2008 12:50 am
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Have the same problem on my 2007 (white), dealer will fix , I must take her in some time next week.

Post #3707088th Nov 2008 2:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pbhawkin

15 Million pounds wasted if you ask me!
The paintshop who quoted said that although there is a primer paint present the plastic is VERY shiny and does not look like it has been prepared (roughed up) to allow the primer to key to it.

Unfortunatly, after sending the quote to the service manager I got this reply:
"Hi Peter,
No, unfortunately we have just received a reply from ‘Land Rover’ yesterday but it is not a favorable decision.
We would like to take the matter further with our ‘Land Rover’ representative & will get back to you when we have a final resolution.
Kind Regards,"

Photos of paint loss are in my Gallery
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=0
 regards
Peter

Post #38071329th Nov 2008 7:50 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Are they just rejecting the quote or the claim of faulty paint?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #38071529th Nov 2008 7:59 am
jkp

Scotland 

Possible stone chips and an over enthusiastic apprentice with the HP pressure washer ??

Post #38081329th Nov 2008 4:17 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

me thinks that it had a "smart" repair done on it or its had a replacement front grill (which comes unsprayed), then sprayed at a local paint shop or the import compound, not unheard of to find vehicles get damaged whilst in transit, particularly on the car ferries.

Post #38100929th Nov 2008 11:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

pbhawkin wrote:
15 Million pounds wasted if you ask me!

Confused ..but thats for 09MY on and a new application process Wink

Your paint is covered by a warranty wherever it appears on the motor ...push them Thumbs Up

Hope it resolves Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #38102129th Nov 2008 11:52 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Having spend my early years in an automotive plastic injection moulding company, and the last 20 years running a paint spraying company, the photo shows that the plastic was not cleaned correctly before spraying, in my opinion it is most like a one off, or a small number from part of a batch which have been contaminated, possibly with silicon or mould release spray.

Your dealer may struggle to respray this area and get good adhesion to the substrate.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #38102530th Nov 2008 12:03 am
pbhawkin

Thanks for the comments so far guys.
I picked the car up new and although there were a couple of issues (main one was the torn passenger door seal that I had to fight to get the dealer to replace) I didn't note any paint issues. Also I am 100% (well 99%) that the grill had NO stone damage to it as I was very particular to clean it and put on the thick 'lightskin' (tm) clear film to protect it against just such an event.
You can see in the photos the film on the top horizontal grill and the thick side vertical part of the grill. The paint wear was between these pieces of film where the angle was too acute to put the film on. Unfortunetly, the film's adhesion to the paint is tougher than the paint and primers adhesion to the plastic Mad
I assume it was during the dealers powerwash that the water removed some paint and forced it's way under the lightskin further causing the paint to lift.
Certainly the plastic that has been exposed is unlike the plastic on the wheelarches and bumper which is rough feeling and matte.
 regards
Peter

Post #38103230th Nov 2008 12:14 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The smooth semi shiny finish on the grill plastic is the same on all grills. This is the finish on the mould.

The fact you put film on and found the adhesion to the film stronger than to the substrate is not a surprise to me, I am not sure what material the grill is made of (it's too cold here to go out and look) I am guessing it is a PolyPropylene copolymer of sorts, which is not the easiest plastic to paint, it is normally flammed.

They will need to 'rough; the surface up to get a mechanical key.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #38104130th Nov 2008 12:35 am
pbhawkin

No wonder people don't buy Landrovers.....If only for the POOR dealers or if not them then LRA not getting back to them quickly re warranty work.
I phoned service manager 1 week ago and he says that they have been inundated with work Neutral but that the warranty claim should be fine but yet to be approved Confused
Of course if this was on paint on a metal part that had been damaged it would be slowly getting worse.
 regards
Peter

Post #40252915th Jan 2009 4:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >