Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Software problems?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ecosse

Software problems?

New HSE 2.7 and overall excellent car, but has anyone else come across the following issues (the dealer is looking at them, but advises that LR themselves are not always up to speed in replies if they relate to software powered functions!):-

Sat Nav - altimeter reads 200 ft too high & no adjustment available!, 4x4 system display won't show the gear number selected, and low fuel warning doesn't activate on sat-nav

Fuel Burning Heater - a great device, but hopelessly documented in the manual!! - also, says to turn it off before refuelling but this is not possible if the air/engine temperatures are below pre-set points!! And, the timer functions for it don't work even though they are visible on the info screen.
Confused
Telephone Integration - this is pathetic - the early literature alluded to it yet dealers don't know what is going to be available - their early fits do not integrate with the Infotainment system & are effectively just an over-expensive add on item! The connections are apparently there on the "bus", just needs an accessory package available (rather than £500 parts cost for something that a car phone store would produec for sub £200)!! - get your act together please LR & provide an easy fit add on system that uses the phone button & keypad on the infotainment system.

Having said above, it is otherwise a fabulous car - BUT LR will really have to start to get to grips with dealing with customer issues, they have now reported to the dealer that a software upgrade will fix most of these faults, but when I raised the issue of telephone with LR Customer Services their attitude was that they would just put what they liked in their advertising as it was only indicative!! - and correspondence to their Head Office on the issue and the dreadful attitude I had from LR CS has remained unanswered for over a month. Serious lessons to be learned by them on Customer Service.

Post #937th Jan 2005 1:19 pm
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Hey,

1. How do you tell altitude on the sat nav? I'll check mine (I ahve a known good manual GPS as well for comparison)

2. Agreed with optional systems: documentation etc are terrible. Also for the radio system.

3. Telephone: local Canadian dealers know less than nothing. Of course Bluetooth is a disaster anyway so we're nbot missing much, but stil...

4. Not sure the above are software faults but having said that, I am sure there will be software bugfixes. No software is bugless (I know, my company makes software for a living) so as long as updates are coming and will be available, I am happy. One upgrade I would like is a proper clock on the panel!

Michael

Post #957th Jan 2005 2:48 pm
Ecosse

Hi - on HSE spec sat nav go to off road sat nav features. Interesting to hear that it is not just UK dealers who have no info on the telephone issue - what is needed is for a 3rd party manufacturer to offer one!!! - btw I use a Bluetooth earpiece & also a Bluetooth Parrot plug in system & both are good but not perfect - greatest advantage is that the phone remains in the pocket but auto connects. Good luck.

Post #987th Jan 2005 3:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi

I can confirm most of the issues here. Altimeter is slightly out, but my only reference is a trip over the M62 to Leeds, where the summit is signed at about 1200 ft. I think it was about 150ft out.

The sat nav does not give low fuel warning as stated in the skimpy manual. The central heating (fuel burning heater) does not come on with the timer, also there is a reference in the recently aquired work shop manual (from this site) to a pre cool setting, this does not appear on my car (bit of a waste of time in the UK anyway!) The manual is way off on this one!

I am just about to fit my in car phone kit that I have for my phone (sony ericcson). It is a good unit, with a black box to fit behind the dash, and speaker and a microphone. It also has a cradle that will charge the phone. The only problem is I can't find anywhere to fit the box! there is NO space behind the dash. The handset cradle could also be a problem, as I will not drill the dash to screw it on. I will probably make a bracket to fit in the lh drive handbrake blank. I'll take some pictures when I've done it. I don't know about other phones, but the battery in my K700i lasts about an hour when bluetooth is running, so that would be a waste of time.

As for software bugs, I run a software company, and know full well that no matter how much alpha and beta testing we do, when the system is let loose to the maniacs they will find holes and break it! The thing is, we keep all our users informed, and we even let them download their patches on the web.

I bought this car knowing I was buying cutting edge technology, the fact is, there is no better concept out there. I expected a few bugs and glitches, and I will give LR a bit of time yet to sort them, but sort them they must. Lots of people don't want to be guinea pigs, and will wait a couple of years before they buy one, but by then the other manufacturers will have caught up.

Why the hell don't car manufacturers provide manuals on CD? The cost saving would be HUGE, and it would be so easy to update it. When will they learn? They should take a lesson from the software industry, lets face it, we are driving round in a very complex computer with wheels on!

Post #12210th Jan 2005 12:27 am
Neil R

Can t even find it

Hello

where is the altimeter i cant even find it, also when in 4X4 sat nav I am been told by the display ths the compass is not available, is this correct do I have to do something to enable it, it would seem to work on the normal sat nav in the top left corner but on the off road nav there is a 2"x2" section that just says no compass available, Please advise.

many thanks Neil

Post #12810th Jan 2005 6:23 pm
DiscoMad

Neil,

The altimeter is on the 'off road navigation' screens. Here you will also find a compass, but, the vehicle must be moving for this to display because the system is GPS based.
For the compass to show on the 4x4 screen, as per the manual, set the navigation system to 'off road navigation' before selecting 4x4 information.
remember you need to be moving. When you stop, this 2x2 screen blank black.

R.

Post #13611th Jan 2005 9:48 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gareth,

I'd be very interested in seeing how you fit the SE car kit. I too have a K700i (yes poor battery) and have been wondering how the hell to fit the kit and where to put the phone. At the moment its a Bluetooth headset for me. Surely it cannot be too hard to integrate a cradle, dock connector and power so we can use the keypad on the audio head unit ?? LR really seem to have 'not thought very hard' about phone integration.

There are so many great and well thought out design decisions in this car - like the parcel shelf stowage between rows 2 and 3 etc.

Post #16212th Jan 2005 8:26 am
Ecosse

Today the whole infotainment system crashed. Had newly been discussing with LR Dealer the software upgrade, then took 6 mile trip, restarted, went 100m with the sat nav on & suddenly blank screen, no radio sound & no voice activation. No joy from restarting car etc - left for 30 mins & on restarting all came back to lfe although the satnav's location is a bit erratic. Wish LR would get the software issues resolved as it harks back to what MS Windows was like in the early 1990's!!
Anyone else had similar issues? Sad

Post #16512th Jan 2005 8:40 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Never had a problem that big yet... and hope I don't.

I'd also recommend you buy a Mac... they just work Smile If only Apple made a car !

Post #16712th Jan 2005 9:21 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Simon

My Sony e kit is hopefully going to get fitted (by me) this weekend if the weather permits. I will have to make a bracket to mount the handset cradle, and I intend to make one to fit in the front edge of the long rubber bit (I put my sunglasses in it) on the left hand side of the centre console. The electronics box may have to go under a seat, as there is no space behind either side of the dash.

The speaker will go in the passenger footwell, the mike will go on top of the right hand A pillar trim.

One problem I foresee is the hiding of the wire to the mike, it cannot go completely behind the A post trim, as it contains an airbag! I am not going to mess with that! The wire will have to be carefully pressed into the edge by the screen (it is very thin wire).

I have fitted this kit to three cars now, and removed it from each on sale of the vehicle. It was expensive, but it works superbly and allows me to use all phone functions, including voice dial.

I have got three of these hands free kits, one is fitted (by myself) into my wifes Mini Cooper, that was easy because there is loads of space to mount the bits. I also have one fitted into my 1966 Series 2a land Rover! although it is only useable at rest with the engine off because of the background noise. My wife has a SE T600 phone, and this means that we can both drive any of our vehicles and stay within the law.

I am not interested in bluetooth, unless it will fully integrate with my (and my wifes) phone.

Post #17113th Jan 2005 1:41 am
DiscoMad

Gareth,
Take a look here....http://www.dashmount.co.uk/sept04/71044.htm

Post #17213th Jan 2005 9:55 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Marvellous!! I must get one.

Post #17313th Jan 2005 10:04 am
Neil R

Ipod on the same bracket

Hi,

I have one of those in my car which has my IPOD mini on it, it is in a dension cradle and i have rewireded it so the it gets power from behind the dash and has a phone lead that is hidden all the way to the rear aux cable, one day i will also hard wire this into the back of the aux socket but right now its to cold to be working outside for long.

it works great until dension hack the audio system then i will go back to having the full system with controls from the steering wheel.

R Neil

Post #17413th Jan 2005 12:00 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ordered a mount bracket, hopefully will arrive by the weekend. Will post photos when job done.

Post #17513th Jan 2005 1:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Got the mount, and fitted it. really easy. Just like the instructions say.

The centre console surround is easy to remove, you just use a soft edged trim removal tool and gently ease the grey plastic from the dashboard. It then swings up, and away, exposing the mountings for the radio/satnav etc.

I had to remove the second from top torx screw, and fitted the bracket to it. I then simply lowered the console surround back into position and pressed it back into its clips.

The only slight modification to the bracket was to open out the lower hole in the bracket to fit over a location peg.

Top marks for this product.

Then it started to rain and I gave up fitting the rest of the phone kit!!

Look out for further installments.

Post #22817th Jan 2005 12:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >