DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Locally available fuel economy remap/chipping options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Locally available fuel economy remap/chipping options

HI All

I will try to keep this from becoming an unashamedly commercial post, but seeing as I am the only South African site sponsor, I am allowed a little bit of trumpet-blowing.

There have been some developments of late, which have led to a new tuning box (TTBox) becoming available to TorqTune.
Now an add-on box is by no means a new idea, but this specific unit has a couple of features that make it quite interesting, and very convenient to use:

1) Choice of 7 user-selectable levels of tune - from mild to wild
2) Up to 4 different user-selectable maps on one unit
3) Installable and removeable in seconds by the user
4) Can we moved to another vehicle of the same specification

We have tested this unit locally already at the coast, and in Gauteng- Scotty is one of the users (his post I have copied below), and the others will show their faces to you very soon. There is a slight difference in power and torque figures between the Box and the Remap, but I doubt if you would notice, plus I have seen more of a difference just between individual vehicles anyway.

We still have the original TorqTune remap option available for those that want the absolute ultimate in performance, but for sheer convenience, especially if you live somewhere remote and can't get to a dealer, the TorqTuneBox is pretty amazing.

Scotty tested the Box over a couple of weeks at the coast - his main requirement was for economy and power while towing - his findings are below:

What a Box!

I have been holding back on the chipping thing because of the required removal prior to dealer visits. I then found the "TorqTuneBox" which just plugs in and can be removed at will, or remove the box & use a blanking plug in the supplied harness.

Amazing results... Huge difference in the power available. Much less down-shifts on the auto box while towing my trailer & general highway driving. The "TorqTuneBox" even has settings to increase / decrease the mapping power! Fuel consumption also improved, see figures below:

Over a 1,100km trip in Feb, before the box was fitted, I had a consumption of 12.4L/100Km
Over a 1,435 km trip (same routing, more town driving) in May, I had a consumption of 10.6L/100km !! An improvement of some 14%. These are actual calculations & not what the vehicle's computer showed, in fact the vehicle showed 9.6L/100km.

Recommend you guys have a look at this great product.

Post #30054119th May 2008 7:15 am
Ken

Baben

Wow thats really going to help the guys in the sticks

Bow down

Last edited by Ken on 19th May 2008 7:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #30054419th May 2008 7:21 am
Baben

Thanks Ken

I must confess I am not the brains behind the operation Sheep but when I see a good product, and more importantly, when a client recognises a good product 8) I am more than happy to take the opportunity to bring it to SA

Post #30054619th May 2008 7:27 am
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Great news... Thumbs Up Let me have details please.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30055819th May 2008 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

How much (remember I use a different product - so some migration discount must be negotiated Whistle )

Post #30056119th May 2008 8:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Re: Locally available fuel economy remap/chipping options

2) Up to 4 different user-selectable maps on one unit

Baden please elaborate on your point 2) Question

Thanks,
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30056619th May 2008 8:39 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I though plug-in tuning boxes were the poor-mans alternative to a proper remap as they just fool the various management systems with false data to increase fuelling etc rather than really updating the ECU Confused
 The End  
Post #30060819th May 2008 10:21 am
Baben

Apart from the 7 levels of tune that are selectable, the base map can actually be selected from 4 available maps that can optionally be programmed into the unit. This would allow us to program basic tunes for Towing, economy, max power etc., and still allow for fine tuning within those maps. Bespoke tuning at its best.

heine - I have sms'd you an offer you can't refuse

Post #30060919th May 2008 10:22 am
Baben

Hi Slimer

You are right to a great extent.
The remap is really the ultimate, seeing as every parameter can be optimised to get the absolute best out of the motor for every situation.

However, the capability of the TTBox to store 4 different maps, and change the tune in 7 steps goes a long way to overcoming the shortcomings of a "box" tune.

Post #30062319th May 2008 11:06 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Baben,

It still didn't answer Slimer's question though.....I have the same doubts as he has....

Can this new plug-in box really emulate a remapping or is it just varying levels of over-fueling the engine as per traditional plug-in boxes?

Not having a go, but it almost sounds too good to be true....how come we haven't heard of this from our european-based TorqTune installers???

When you say 'user-selectable', do you mean jumper settings on the plug-in box or a switch inside the cabin?

Any pointers on equivalent pricing outside of Africa?

Cheers Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #30062519th May 2008 11:09 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Baben

Please PM me an offer as well Bow down

Deon[/quote]

Post #30065919th May 2008 12:15 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds uncannily similar to the DTE-tune system. Related ? http://www.chiptuning.com/. Dragon performance do this in the UK (cheaper than parent company), can even control it remotely with a fob. Dont know if they know much at all about Landrovers specifically unlike TT of course. Improvement is only 20%, not 26% like a TT remap. Note twisted performance also do a box (+50HP) with "download" whatever that is. I like the box idea, take it out when driving in poor fuel areas or going for service, but dont trust it yet due to bad press. Dont want to knacker me motor do I.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #30066319th May 2008 12:29 pm
Baben

Thanks for all your questions and responses. I will try to answer all in one go:

Slimer is right - a box can really only modify rail pressure. Granted, there are many ways in which to do this.

Any tuner has to increase rail pressure in order to achieve a performance gain whether you are remapping or adding an external device. With a TorqTune remap, about 70% of the gains come directly from increases in rail pressure. The rest come from other magic, which probly won't be shared publicly.

So if you want the best possible performance that you can get out of the specific engine, then you need the remap, which will give you 10-15BHP more than any box.
If you are happy with 80-90% of the perormance gain, coupled with a 10% fuel saving, which is very acceptable judging by the responses so far, plus the added benefit (at least in Africa, because of our huge distances and relatively poor infrastructure) of being able to install and remove the tune yourself, then the "Box" is a really attractive option.

The capability of having up to 4 basic maps in one box, eg. one all-rounder, one for towing, one for pure economy, one pure performance, plus the availability of 7 stages of each of these tunes, gives you quite a few of the benefits of the remap as well.

The Box is probably available in other countries by other names, but I am only focused on the African market.

The guy doing the tunes knows Land Rover products very well Very Happy

Post #30067819th May 2008 1:16 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Baben ,

Cost/s ?

Post #30068019th May 2008 1:18 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the clarification Baben Thumbs Up
Baben wrote:
The capability of having up to 4 basic maps in one box, eg. one all-rounder, one for towing, one for pure economy, one pure performance, plus the availability of 7 stages of each of these tunes, gives you quite a few of the benefits of the remap as well.
So how are these different maps selected? Can they be selected 'on-the-fly' via a switch in the cabin or do you have to get under the bonnet with a screw-driver to adjust things?

Discowex...I don't think Baben will be able to help us out with pricing for EU stuff (contractual obligations and all that)....but I'm interested to know too Whistle
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #30068119th May 2008 1:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >