Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Stockton Beach on Standard Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Zilch

Australia 
Stockton Beach on Standard Tyres

Question from the Dark side, either this or next weekend i am going to have a run to Stockton with the Sport, it currently runs standard footwear which are the Goodyear Wrangler HP AW's (255/55/18's). Anyone done Stockton in their D3 with standard tyres, and how low could you safely go in terms of pressure , 16-20 PSI ?? without constantly throwing or knackering a tyre !!

Cheers

Jim
 another Pommie from the darkside

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #2969939th May 2008 10:03 am
dukemasterpro

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Stockton Beach on Standard Tyres

Zilch wrote:
Question from the Dark side, either this or next weekend i am going to have a run to Stockton with the Sport, it currently runs standard footwear which are the Goodyear Wrangler HP AW's (255/55/18's). Anyone done Stockton in their D3 with standard tyres, and how low could you safely go in terms of pressure , 16-20 PSI ?? without constantly throwing or knackering a tyre !!

Cheers

Jim

You should be alright, did it 4 times in a D3 with 18"'s and same tyres without any probs even with a full complement of passengers. It's all down to how you drive and tyre pressure. Must the first time without tuition we did get stuck but after that it was all fine.

Post #2969999th May 2008 10:29 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

How low with the tyres?

I've run mine down to 8lb front 10lb rear to show off in sand, 15/18 is ok, if you run them around 18/20 you have a lot of leeway to drop them right down if you get stuck, std wranglers are pretty good in sand as they bag out nicely. Take care of the sidewalls though as they are thin, avoid pushing through scrub etc.

Have fun!
 TDV6  
Post #2970039th May 2008 10:37 am
Zilch

Australia 

DMP, Ian, thanks very much, Sand mode and 15/18 and a sensible approach, apart from the begging from fellow 4wder's to recover me now and then.. Cheers Thumbs Up best not ask for a snatch, i might get a smack, especially from the wife Whistle

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #2970119th May 2008 10:49 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You should have a great day. There are plenty of people to get you out of trouble. I ran my tyres at 18 psi but a coulpe of the guys had to go down to 12 psi to get up some of the hills. The range Rover Club is doing a trip there on the 31st May for beginners if you happen to be there that weekend tune in to UHF 19.
Standard tyres can be better than AT tyres as they tend not to build up a wall of sand in front.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #2970609th May 2008 12:36 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Zilch, whilst I haven't had the experience of requiring DSC being turned off to improve traction there is a lot of discussion in other areas of this site. (Hint: Do a search on DSC) but to quote another poster with knowledge that is not toatally relevant (unless you strike snow at Stockton) but still pertinent...
opodden wrote:
My advise on hills is: Go slow at first with DSC and snow/ ice setting on. If it doesn't work, reverse down, switch off DSC, switch to sand setting and try to carry more speed.

HTH, Leigh (envious of your chance to do Stockton)
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #2970649th May 2008 12:54 pm
Drive cosy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The D3 is the first car with DSC I've driven on sand. One thing I will say is you can feel the momentum getting sucked right out with DSC on. Even the manual recommends DSC off. Thumbs Up

Post #29733410th May 2008 1:32 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

In my one and only visit to Stockton Beach, as part of a LR club training course, I carefully read my manual & was confused. I asked the instructor to read the relevant bit & advise me. He, also was confused by the wording.

In retrospect, I may have been better off with DSC disabled, but have no evidence to support this view.

Best Wishes,
Peter

Post #29734510th May 2008 7:22 am
Zilch

Australia 

I have had to switch DSC off even on an incline with very loose mud and some small rocks to negotiate, the alternative was to sit there whilst the vehicle wound down the power, just because one or two wheels were getting hung up. Will most probably go with DSC off

Thanks All

Jim

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #29734910th May 2008 7:40 am
Drive cosy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The engine and gearbox are already working hard enough in sand. Why add brakes fighting the gearbox to the equation? Wink

Post #29772912th May 2008 12:12 am
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

Can't speak to your beach but I'm driving in the soft sands of the desert around Dubai on the standard 19" tyres with absolutely no problems. I take them down to 18psi - looks awful, like you're going to get a pinch flat as soon as you start moving, but I've had no issues so far and the tyres have actually done a fantastic job on sand.

I'd say turn DSC off - you can feel it killing your momentum, and it usually kicks in at the worst times (ie when you're in the softest sand trying not to get stuck, and/or when you ARE stuck and trying to get unstuck). Remember you still have traction control (which cannot be disabled) to save you if you try to do anything VERY stupid.

Make sure that when you're aired down you don't try to turn quickly at high(ish) speeds - that's the best way to drive off the rims. If you keep it in a straight line and make your steering smooth you'll be much better off.

Post #29775212th May 2008 4:46 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Definetly turn DSC off, the TR sand mode lets extra wheel spin into the equation and this is not compatible with DSC being on. DSC does not like the wallowing motion that having wheel spin will generate in soft sand. Speaking from experience. Very Happy
 TDV6  
Post #29779612th May 2008 8:49 am
Zilch

Australia 
One Further Question about Snatch Straps

Just one further question to ask whether the D3/RRS front and rear recovery points are strong enough to enable Snatch recovery if the vehicle becomes dug in and you have to find a friendly LR driver in the area. There seems to be some on here that say yes, and some that state no, they use more LR3 friendly recovery methods Exclamation

Thanks

Jim

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #29819913th May 2008 10:08 am
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

On this clip from Youtube the presenter states the chassis can take a 6t snatch load....................... so make sure that you pack a good spring balance to add to the rope to ensure you don't exceed the 6tonnes!
&feature=related
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #29820313th May 2008 10:17 am
Zilch

Australia 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
so make sure that you pack a good spring balance to add to the rope to ensure you don't exceed the 6tonnes!

Tim i will pop down to the local fishing tackle shop, i am sure they will have a spring balance up to the required 6 ton limit Whistle Thumbs Up

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #29821713th May 2008 10:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >