Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Stockton Beach on Standard Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Alicatt

Belgium 

Local Lucas electrical dealer stocks all sorts of Warn Winches and other equipment for off-roading. He has snatch/kenetic strops that are rated to various tonnages, if you exceed the rating then the strop changes colour.

PS switching off the DSC does make a diffrence, one of the marshals at the site yesterday was asking why my TC wasnt working after I switched off the DSC for a steep loose climb.

Post #29822313th May 2008 11:12 am
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

As far as recovery goes in the sand at stockton goes. Take a trenching shovel, one of those ones the you get from a desposal store, ex army type. Chuck it in the back, seceured of course. Your own recovery strap. Then you are in charge of the recovery not some gun ho helper.
If bogged in sand the trenching shovel is used to get the sand away from the front and back wheels. It only takes a few minutes. If forward or back recovery the anchor points should be fine as it is only ever an ASSISTED TUG. Rarely will there be a need for a full strech and yank.

We have taken many D3's and RRS on the sand and a bog is only ever clear the sand from the wheels and a light tug to pop out. Never have done a full max out snap.

Have fun

Post #29857514th May 2008 7:57 am
Zilch

Australia 

davo wrote:
We have taken many D3's and RRS on the sand and a bog is only ever clear the sand from the wheels and a light tug to pop out. Never have done a full max out snap.

Have fun

Davo many thanks for the advice, already have the small Entrenching tool, plus the wife to do the digging Whistle As you say, i will just have to make sure anyone who helps does not get to gung ho.

Cheers

Jim
 another Pommie from the darkside

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #29858414th May 2008 8:31 am
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Family are a great help.
You could write a book on the 101 usese of kids during 4WD trips.

1. Kids are really useful to check the wading depth at creek crossings.
2. Kids can climb on the roof of the D3 to lash down your gear.
3. Kids can open and close the gates. Though a wife is useful there as well.

and so on Rolling with laughter

Post #29903415th May 2008 8:21 am
Zilch

Australia 

Thumbs Up

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #29909515th May 2008 10:24 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Used both front and rear recovery points on my D3 when deliberatly buried up to sills for a recovery demo for Range Rover Club training day. No problems. Also used front to pull a Suzuki Vitara out of the sand at Moreton island. Laughing
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #29914915th May 2008 12:19 pm
Zilch

Australia 

Well we had a day out at Stockton today, amazed how comfortably the Sport handled it all. Most of the time it was in Sand Mode, High Range, DSC off, and it never put a foot wrong or got stuck to the degree we needed any assistance. Once the front wheels dug in over a crest, selected low range, turned the wheels slightly and it crawled straight out and down the hill. Amazed that on some area's it would easily tackle the terrain in High Range, once in a while i used low as a precaution.

The TR system is pretty awesome, so far i have managed to use most of the programmes as part of its weekend life, Mud/Ruts, Gravel/Snow/Grass, Rock Crawl, and now Sand, not much left to try Thumbs Up

If any one is off to Stockton in the next few weekends/months, please keep me posted, as i would love to tag along with a group. The only disappointing thing today, i did not see another LR marque (apart from a defender at Anna Bay waiting to go in), mostly LC's, patrols and Hilux's everywhere

Cheers

Jim

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #29993617th May 2008 9:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >