Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

After market Sat Nav.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
After market Sat Nav.

I checked out the Landover display at the Melbourne car show last week. The salesman told me they send a lot of cars to Highway Sound (correct me if I this is the wrong Business name) to fit after market Sat Nav. I was wondering if any members have had this done and can they post some pics to give me an idea of the end result.

As for the Car show the “Concept” Monaro Whistle Whistle Whistle was definitely the show stopper, besides the XY GTHO on the Shannon’s stand
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #27026510th Mar 2008 11:24 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Why not look to get one the new TomTom's ?

They are very good over here (not sure about coverage in your geo).

Post #27026810th Mar 2008 11:38 am
razzle

I should add, I am after in dash, permanently installed system as opposed to moveable.
Post #27027110th Mar 2008 11:55 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You can either get a stick on one or an in dash screen which would double as a stereo or could be connected to an in car PC.
Plenty of stand alones which can be moved from car to car.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27027410th Mar 2008 11:58 am
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I was looking for something similar. Found this but it still costs $3000. It integrates you GPS with a reversing camera
http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/car_ent...index.html

Post #27057810th Mar 2008 9:09 pm
caverD3

At three grand it is still cheaper and is more flexible than the OEM. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27061810th Mar 2008 9:54 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Razzle,
This one is a permanently mounted model - but not sure if it will fit in the cubby, as it could be too wide. (A little surgery might be required). One advantage this model has - it has a reversing camera composite video input.

http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/7200.php

Cheers,
Rob

Post #27065310th Mar 2008 10:27 pm
neophyteguy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Freeway audio is the group that does these installations. They upgraded my stereo, but the crux of their business seems to be installing sat navs and dvd players in new cars. Their website is http://www.freewaycaraudio.com.au/index.ph...17421-4281 . If the picture on the contact us page was any bigger, you would see Malvern Land Rover just to the right........They actually share a boundary, so I would suggest that if anyone in Melbourne can do a good job on an aftermarket satnav it would be them..........
 Picked up my new MY08 Stornaway TDV6 SE late Feb. FULLY STOKED! Thanks in advance for all the advice/tips you guys have shared on here!!!!!!!!!!!!
1976 Kombi - Bob
1961 Karmann Ghia - Audrey
1968 Wife-HOT! 

Post #27077111th Mar 2008 2:02 am
razzle

jdea wrote:
I was looking for something similar. Found this but it still costs $3000. It integrates you GPS with a reversing camera
http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/car_ent...index.html

I have looked at this before, but the screen sits on a full length double DIN Nav unit/DVD player. The Disco SAT NAV cubby hole appears to be double DIN at the front, but you cant place a Full length double DIN unit in the back as there is “Structural” things in they way i.e. brackets, wires, Vent etc. The OEM SAT NAV has the same profile at the back, as the Cubby hole i.e. Double DIN at the front and tapers off.
Post #27087511th Mar 2008 12:01 pm
caverD3

You need to remove the lining for the cubby as well and you are right it is not deep enough for a single DIN let alone a double.

Click image to enlarge

You would need to remove the entire head unit and put it there.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #27087911th Mar 2008 12:12 pm
dash

Australia 

I know you asked for indash GPS but after all the good info I have found here I thought I'd share these pics of a few Mods I did for my father's Disco recently.

I shortened the mount supplied to recess the unit into the dash.Pwr and ext antenna enter at the rear

The battery I used was a 550cca Century which required a small mod to the bottom of the tray.traxide Isolator bolts to an existing mount.

I also added a Prodigy brake controller ,MP3 input,remote Mic UHF and 6mm2 wire to fridge socket in the rear and 16mm2 cable to an Anderson connector for van power.[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #27679824th Mar 2008 2:10 pm
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Dash,
I see you used a Garmin Nuvi, what other (if any) GPS systems did you look at?
 regards
Peter

Post #27702525th Mar 2008 12:59 am
Sniegy

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Razzle,
Yes the mob is called Freeway Car Audio.
They normally install from memory a "Kenwood" system that sits in the same spot as the OEM.
It is not like the system in the photo that Caver has fitted (if this is his vehicle?) as it looks very OEM.
The system is far more flexible & has heaps more options for entertainment & safety.
ie: rear camera can be added, TV, DVD etc..it always just depends on how much money you want to spend!
Good luck
 D4 Alaska/Almond 2.7 TDV6 with E-diff & extra's.. Smile

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #27702625th Mar 2008 1:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dash

Australia 

Peter
At the time the requirements were Bluetooth,Street Name Speech(owner lives country and this is handy for city driving),Largish screen and rear view input.The Garmin met the first 3 and by reading a few websites seemed to be a good unit.It has been trouble free so far and the Bluetooth works well.
Regards
Dash

Post #27703325th Mar 2008 1:59 am
shesminetoo

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Gents,

I am new here and have been lurking on the board for about the last three weeks while I await delivery of my new V6SE.

Before I take delivery, I am having the Kenwood system fitted aftermarket by Freeway Car Audio in Malvern. I can say that so far I have been impressed with service there. I took time to visit the premises to first understand who I'm dealing with, what the final system will look like in the dashboard (I'm fussy when it comes to my cars) and off course to determine prices.
When I finally get the car I will try to post some shots for your info, but this I can say upfront, I had a look at a RRS fitted with the same system and they do a pretty good job. Looks completely factory. Off course adding bluetooth, ipod connection and reverse camera pushes the price up to close to $5k fitted, but it is still substantially cheaper that the factory unit with all those options ticked. I also believe that the Kenwood system, using Garmin technology and maps, is significantly better than the Factory standard unit, plus map updates is substantially cheaper than those quoted by the dealers!

Before you ask, I have no connection with either LR or Freeway, and as always the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So far so good, and I will report back when I take delivery.

BTW, they tell me they do 3-5 Disco's/RRS's per week, so there must be a reasonably large installed base out there. Anybody with experience like to comment?

Best wishes

Frans

Post #27703425th Mar 2008 2:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >