DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

After market Sat Nav.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Dash and Frans - welcome to the site!

Very Happy
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #27705925th Mar 2008 7:55 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

dash wrote:

I also added a Prodigy brake controller ,MP3 input,remote Mic UHF and 6mm2 wire to fridge socket in the rear and 16mm2 cable to an Anderson connector for van power.[/img]

Any chance of some pics of the uhf setup?

I am investigating a uhf install at the moment, in 2 minds with which UHF to use ie one with a detachable face or one of the newer ones with the uhf controls on the hand piece. UHF guy did not recommned the later as when the mouth piece fails it will be a $130 fix as opposed to a $30 fix for the first option.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #27711125th Mar 2008 10:39 am
dash

Australia 

I only have a picture of the mic on the centre console.I installed the unit on the drivers side ,up under the dash ,towards the centre .The sound level was perfectly adequate for me but as my father is a little older than most disco owners I have just added a remote speaker.The TX3440 has a 3 yr warranty and although I can't find the info I remember when I bought it that they said they had tried to keep the cost of the microphone down and it was $99.

This is all you can see of it.It comes with the normal mic cord plus a long extension so it can be mounted wherever.

Post #27719625th Mar 2008 1:39 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

shesminetoo wrote:
Gents,

I am new here and have been lurking on the board for about the last three weeks while I await delivery of my new V6SE. ....

Hi Frans and welcome... Out of curiosity, how long is the wait for a V6SE now? and am looking forward to your pic's of the final install...

Cheers
moby
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #27762326th Mar 2008 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shesminetoo

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Moby,

We ordered and paid deposit on 8/03. It took more than a week for the car to arrive from Sydney. I believe there are cars available off the floor, but we specifically wanted the Stornaway Grey/Ebony combination and the only car with that combination available was located in Sydney. With the long weekend in between and the fitment of the SatNav its stretching out now. I'm hoping to take delivery tomorrow. I find it quite frustrating that I'm not getting my calls returned from Lance Dixon. In fact, the guys at Freeway is more up to date about my car than the dealer, it would seem.

Reg's

Frans

Post #27798927th Mar 2008 12:20 am
gbl120755

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Shesminetoo

I am after a similar set up and would be very interested on the outcome of your install.
Please post/send photos and comments.

Post #27908229th Mar 2008 10:51 am
shesminetoo

Gents,

Took delivery on Friday. Must say, really impressed with the car. (She drinks petrol but I expected that, and the engines still tight.) I have only done 300km so far.

Here is the low down on the SatNav. It is a Kenwood system running Garmin software and Maps. The installation is virtually indistinguishable from the factory one. They did a beautiful job of integrating it into the dash. The touchscreen works faultlessly and the software is intuitive, functionally rich and so far pretty accurate. It does the text to voice (TTS) surprisingly well, therefore reading out streetnames in the turn by turn voice guidance. I found that quite helpfull. My first evening drive was a disaster as the screen was so bright that it seriously detracted from concentrating on the road. Afterwards I found a setting to auto-dim using a light sensor on the front of the screen. 100% improvement. Not that easy to find the setting though. Took a bit of digging through the menus.

When you put the key into the ingnition the system fires up and defaults to the Nav screen. The only way you know that the Bluetooth connected is that the mobile phone gives a beep and it's little screen comes to life. It's really quite seemless. When a call comes in the screen changes to the phone screen, and with the touchscreen it's quite intuitive, with nice large buttons. Sound quality is quite adequate and the phone volume is set on the screen. There is also the option to go to a private discussion by pressing a "button" on the screen, and the mobile then springing to life. At the conclusion of the call it reverts to the SatNav screen. When the car is put in reverse, the rear camera automatically switches on and the picture is good enough to almost make you not use your mirrors. However, I find the fish eye lens somewhat misleading and wouldn't recommend it as a parking aid. It's more of a safety device checking for obstacles. Together with the parking sensors it actually makes for a great help. I'm glad I included the option as I did question the value initially.

I haven't been able to test the ipod connection yet as I do not own an ipod yet! At $100 it was cheap and considering the lack of a CD changer, I thought it to be a useful feature. Will report soon.

So, my verdict, as long as you try not to play with the menus, the system is straight forward, automatic and virtually seemless. When you start digging around in the screen/AV unit's menu's it becomes confusing very quickly. I read the manuals and was able to set it up the way I wanted with some effort, but now plan to leave it alone. As a system I can definitely recommend it. At the price it was half the cost of the factory system with Bluetooth.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance to take some, and figure out how to upload it to this forum. Some help here perhaps? Maybe I can email it to someone who has done this before and they can upload it for us?

Anyway, feel free to ask questions in the meantime.

Reg's
Frans

Post #27979831st Mar 2008 2:33 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

shesminetoo
See if you can post some pics. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27979931st Mar 2008 3:26 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
posting pic's

Hi Frans,

You will need to upload the pic's into your gallery first, then you simply copy the URL of each pic you want into your message as you type it and presto the pic's apear when you preview or submit your post...

There is a thread on how to do this in detail...
Cheers
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #27980131st Mar 2008 3:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shesminetoo

Let me try this and see if it works.

[/url]

Post #27981231st Mar 2008 6:40 am
shesminetoo

BTW, forgot to mention that the system also comes delivered with a remote control that operates most functions. I haven't really seen the need for it so far, but I guess it will come into it's own when the kids want to operate the ipod from the back seats. Haven't played with it much either.

I chose not to include the digital TV receiver as I was told that @ approx $1000 the result is somewhat dissapointing. aparently the digital signal, unlike analogue, either is perfect or non-existant. With analogue the quality will vary and sound quality may deteriorate in some areas. With digital it will just scramble altogether.

The rear DVD unit was an attractive option but just not justifiable @ $1600-1800. That included relaying the signal to the front as well. What for I don't know? However, these are all additions that could be made as the Kenwood A/V unit caters for all of it. It basically comes down to how deep your pockets are.

Take care!

Frans

Post #27981331st Mar 2008 6:57 am
Disco Stu

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Frans that fitting looks fantastic. If you dont mind me asking - what was the final price?
Cheers
Lance
 2006 HSE TDV6  
Post #27987431st Mar 2008 10:46 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Stu ??? Shocked

Did you emigrate chap ?

Post #28008731st Mar 2008 6:21 pm
shesminetoo

Lance,

AU$4850.

Cheers
F

Post #28025231st Mar 2008 11:01 pm
JND72

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Frans

I've been looking for a similar set-up, but most were going to replace the factory radio (eg Eclipse AVN6000). Can you list the components installed? I know the screen is the KOS-L702, but which integration system (V500 or V1000), what iPod cable and which bluetooth device? Is the reversing camera a Kenwood unit or other? Is the sat nav box KNA-G430?

So many questions I know! I'm in Bris so not an option to use Freeway.

I think the set-up like you have will make it easier to see screens versus replacing the factory radio. Plus it looks great, almost OEM!

Regards
Justin

Post #2941111st May 2008 5:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >