Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 down on power???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jayslandydisco3

United Kingdom 
Disco 3 down on power???

H guys. New to the forum. Jay here from Nottingham UK. I have an 05 disco 3 2.7 tdv6 HSE. I bought it back in january 23, and from the off i knew there were a few little problems with it, but i do still love it. I wanted a van and a family car, so this was perfect for what i needed, rather than 2 seperate vehicles and the cost of 2. However, from day 1, it has been down on power. It feels like the turbo doesnt even bother boosting up, as if the actuator was stuck. I have checked the actuator when turning the ignition on and it moves backwards and forwards as it should. It does really struggle uphill, and i often need to gear down(its a 6 speed manual), to climb most hills. 1st gear if its a big hill lol. Now thats embaressing enough, but at the same time, i dont like having to climb hills at almost 4k rpm. So with the actuator doing as it should, and researching a few things myself, does it sound to anyone familiar with the landys, like an egr problem? I do know that the cross over pipe also has a leak on it, but im not sure that would affect it to the extent it is low on power?? I also have the dreaded bumpstop ride at 45mph 🤣 but im used to that for now and it makes the kids laugh. I believe that is the valve block on the rear but ill be changing everything suspension wise anyway. So any advice on the power issue would be greatly appreciated initially, and thanks for having me on the forum 😊 i expect ill be here a lot 🤣

Post #235396124th Nov 2023 3:54 pm
Jayslandydisco3

United Kingdom 

Ive just noticed this has to the wrong section. Not sure how to change that if admin wouldnt mind helping please? Thankyou 😊

Post #235396224th Nov 2023 3:56 pm
Bracechenko

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum!

Do not underestimate how much of an impact a split in the crossover pipe can make. I too had low power at low revs and horrendous turbo lag in my car. Couldn't diagnose it until eventually I found 2 issues related to the intake.

1. The airbox wasn't correctly seated into the vent in the wing and was partially blocked which was strangling the air intake.

2. The crossover pipe on my car was missing a corrugated rubber seal for the bit that disappears beneath the engine. That meant air was being introduced after the MAF sensor and completely ruined the cars performance.

https://disco3.co.uk/forum/missing-o-ring-205908.html (Read until the end)

I really can't stress how much of a difference fixing these two issues made so I suggest ruling them out before you start going down the route of EGR delete etc

Post #235400425th Nov 2023 12:50 pm
Akers

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just chipping in here, I had a broken crossover, the flex part was cracked substantially, and the car was like a snail. I didn't have the Gap tool at the time, but the car had no warning lights at the time. Once I did get one there was a code logged for low boost pressure

Once up to speed the car felt ok but whenever any power was required e.g. acceleration or even the slightest hills it was very slow, 1st gear was a most for anything other than a slight incline. Replaced the pipe which was a whole saga but the power issues were resolved.

Recently had a split in one of the intercooler hoses, while this caused some turbo lag it was nothing like the crossover issue.

It might be worth checking the crossover I suspect mine went after the previous owner had the clutch changed and the shop didn't remount any of the brackets.

Post #23549314th Dec 2023 1:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >