Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Trip to Alice Springs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Andy V6SE

Australia 

Here a photo my friend took when he was on a 3 months rotation (hospital MD).

I just look at it and I wished I was there!!

Click image to enlarge

He was there from Dec (07) to Feb... I guess the raining season boosted his chance~

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #28692415th Apr 2008 1:01 pm
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ianv wrote:
You reckon it made his eyes water Norto?
Big Cry
Garryc, have we misunderstood you?

Well SWMBO misunderstands me Laughing I should have said "this is where I 'purchased' my first Land Rover. Bow down You guys have the same old 'one track mind'. These days my one track mind is more "Oodnadatta track" than anything else Confused
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #28837918th Apr 2008 9:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Did you get your rear end fixed
 Pete  
Post #28838118th Apr 2008 9:07 am
norto

norto wrote:
Did you get your rear end fixed

The rear end of the D3.......just to clarify things
 Pete  
Post #28840718th Apr 2008 9:47 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

HI guys,

I have been away for a while, and picked up on this thread. I have also put in for leave to travel to Uluru, July school holidays. I am travelling from Perth, and will meet a mate of mine there travelling from Brisbane.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Any ideas where a good place would be to stop over halfway for a sleep over? Not too keen on setting up camp for one night.

2. Aparently I need a permit to drive a portion of the route. Where are these permits purchased?

3. Do I need radio comms for the trip? With the US$-AUD$ there is not a better time getting HF-VHF radios from the US.

4. Stupid question, but what are the roads like? If not so good, I don't mind, but this shoudl indicate what spares could be needed.

5. We would like to camp at Uluru. We are currenlty looking at http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/arrcamp/ Ayers Rock Camp Ground. Has anyone stayed there. Are there better places.

6. Has anyone visited Gosses Bluff crater? Is it worth a visit?

7. What route would you take as a scenic trip back to Perth? We are rushing to get there, and will spend a week there, and then drive back taking in as much scenery as possible.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #28873119th Apr 2008 12:30 pm
catweasel

PierreJ wrote:

not really  
Post #28890620th Apr 2008 3:51 am
norto

Pierrej
Are you towing or tenting it
 Pete  
Post #28890720th Apr 2008 4:50 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

PierreJ wrote:
HI guys,

I have been away for a while, and picked up on this thread. I have also put in for leave to travel to Uluru, July school holidays. I am travelling from Perth, and will meet a mate of mine there travelling from Brisbane.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Any ideas where a good place would be to stop over halfway for a sleep over? Not too keen on setting up camp for one night.

2. Aparently I need a permit to drive a portion of the route. Where are these permits purchased?

3. Do I need radio comms for the trip? With the US$-AUD$ there is not a better time getting HF-VHF radios from the US.

4. Stupid question, but what are the roads like? If not so good, I don't mind, but this shoudl indicate what spares could be needed.

5. We would like to camp at Uluru. We are currenlty looking at http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/arrcamp/ Ayers Rock Camp Ground. Has anyone stayed there. Are there better places.

7. What route would you take as a scenic trip back to Perth? We are rushing to get there, and will spend a week there, and then drive back taking in as much scenery as possible.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

I've done the trip twice - via the Gunbarrel and via the Gt Central Rd (from Laverton). The camp stop near the Giles Weather Station is nice - you could spend a day or two there (Lassiter's Cave is just up the road). Some people like Docker River, but I found it pretty isolated and run-down.

I had a sat phone for both trips, but you wouldn't need anything like that for the Laverton route - it's fairly well traveled - at least it was in Sept.

As for the roads, depends on when the grader was last through and/or when it last rained. On the first trip it was relatively tame - some of the fords can be tricky, but nothing you couldn't do safely. In 2006 the corrugations were terrible, especially Docker River to Uluru.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #28892320th Apr 2008 8:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PierreJ

norto wrote:
Pierrej
Are you towing or tenting it

We are roughing it, and we are tenting.
Post #28895420th Apr 2008 11:00 am
PierreJ

disco4x4au wrote:
I've done the trip twice - via the Gunbarrel and via the Gt Central Rd (from Laverton). The camp stop near the Giles Weather Station is nice - you could spend a day or two there (Lassiter's Cave is just up the road). Some people like Docker River, but I found it pretty isolated and run-down.

I had a sat phone for both trips, but you wouldn't need anything like that for the Laverton route - it's fairly well traveled - at least it was in Sept.

Hi Gordon.

Thanks for the tips. As for the Satphone, did you buy or rent? Is there any truths about the permits? What was the biggest distances between fuel stations?

I was thinking of taking the Gunbarrel there and perhaps Great Central Back, purely for getting there in a rush. Qld schools close a week before WA, and my mate will be taking his time getting there, while we rush. Then they will e rushing back for schools to open, while we take our time.

Anything apart from a tyre repair kit, compressor and the usual bit needed. How much water should I be taking?

I musgt admit, I have done a fair bit of African Overlanding, but nothing like this. The distances between places are too vast to contemplate. The dangers are also quite different.
Post #28895820th Apr 2008 11:07 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Whenever I visit the desert the groups I've been with always hire Sat phones. Try some of the larger Telstra dealers.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #28927220th Apr 2008 11:39 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Yep, hiring would be the best, although I had an old one so I haven't actually done it myself. And yes, you need two permits, one from NT (Central Land Council - 08 8951 6211) and one from WA (contact dia.wa.gov.au on 9235 8058 - they should tell you how to apply).

I carried 5 extra jerry-cans (three on the car, two on the camper) and made it without needing all of them. I had 30L of water, but I was traveling alone and used about half.

If you need to get there quickly, then the Gt Central Rd is the go - you can sit on 80 ~ 100 kph for most of the trip. I did this from Perth with one overnight stop in Laverton, although it was around 15hrs travel the second day. The Gunbarrel is much slower going.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #28928321st Apr 2008 1:15 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just filling in some of the gaps.

Radio's - Modern HF radios need a good configuration. The frequencies can be preset and grouped eg. flying doctors and VKS four wheel drive network, ABC and other radio stations. etc If you buy locally the agent will program the radio for you and include all your id information etc in the setup. HF radios are not easy to use like a Satphone but have one great advantage. If you are in a remote area and call for help anyone else on that channel near and far can hear you call, especially if they are useing the scan function. You never know who is just over the horizon or within a 100km radiius of you, even when it is very remote you would be surprised who is within a few hours of where you are.

Take an EPIRB, easy for anyone to set off and if you register people will know who they are searching for.

Don't buy a UHF in the US their frequency spectrum is radically different from ours, their UHF frequencies are allocated to weather satellite dowload links here I think.

I bought a UHF+HF+epirb in one go and got a good discount from the radio shop, reccomend the strategy.

The drive to Goss Bluff is great, if you go around the Meerine loop stop at a spot called Tylers pass lookout that has a great view of the crater from about 30km away. Last time I went into Goss Bluff to have lunch there were so many bees we had to leave the area as they were swarming for our water.

Look from a distance but there is not much to see inside apart from a scummy car park. Has any body walked around there?

I carry, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, main drive belt, oil cap, radiator cap, 3 spare wheel nuts, cable ties, fencing wire, duct tape, quick set 2 pack resin or Araldite, minimum 5 litres water per person per day minimum in multiple containers, twice as much fuel as I belive required between stops, allow for site seeing and backtracking, also some places run out on occasions or just don't feel like being open.

All the best

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #29041123rd Apr 2008 9:39 am
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
spare parts

Ianv,
You forgot to mention the air suspension repair kit that you showed me at Cooma. I went out and got tubing, joiners and air valve for $30. Very Happy
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #29102724th Apr 2008 7:49 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Garryc

Well mentioned, now I have it in the car I just take it for granted. Everybody should carry that kit, make sure you keep it in a sealed packet like mine as most air systems need to be very clean.

so - couple of metres of 6mm high pressure air hose, couple of schrader valves and some joiners. Then you can pump up individual corners or ends ot the car with your portable air compressor if required.

Thumbs Up

PS: And then I also carry coolant, oil, fuel syphon, empty jerry cans in case of needing to save fuel from a damaged tank, recovery kit, hand winch, small and large first aid kits. chains and shackles. This is for the more serious trip of course, and sometimes the chainsaw as well.
 TDV6  
Post #29114924th Apr 2008 11:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >