Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

A new owner with a few little problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ITK2023

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
A new owner with a few little problems

Hi everyone, I have just purchased a 2007 SE in Arctic Frost. There are a couple of little problems which hopefully have been encountered before so should be an easy fix if the source can be found.

•The passenger side mirror hits the window glass when folding inwards, when folded out it seems to be in the correct position.
    •A squeaking sound around the dashboard when going over a bump, it sounds like trim rubbing together. Are there any obvious places to start looking?
    •Front parking sensors inoperable. Are there any tricks to find which one is the problem? The rears pulse when in reverse, but the fronts do nothing which makes me think the car has switched them all off due to the error.

Other than that it is a very enjoyable drive, are there any tips for improving the mpg? I'm going to take off some of the pipework from the EGRs and give them a clean as I'm sure there is a tonne of gunk clogging them up after all these years.

Post #233403221st Apr 2023 11:35 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, and welcome!

to answer your questions-

Yes, the mirrors do touch the glass when folded.
There is a lot of plastic trim, and the joints do squeak. My door handles were the worst culprit, and a bit of silicone oil in the joints of the moulded parts stopped it 8 years ago, and no squeak since!
Front parking sensors, wiring loom is the main issue. You'll have to get the bumper off to check the loom.

Saving fuel, either don't drive it, or don't worry about it! Whistle
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #233403421st Apr 2023 12:05 pm
ITK2023

Thanks, does the loom for the sensors usually wear through in a particular place? I had a search but couldn't find any threads that go into much detail.

Post #233434223rd Apr 2023 9:32 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you take the bumper off, you can see the “hot spots”.

But it can also be one or two sensor’s malfunctioning
In front there are 2 different types on each bumper.. (as far as i can remember) (straight and angle connector)

Me personally, get a brand new loom and 4 new sensors if you want to solve it with a long lasting solution, or…. Keep repairing it very often….

I ditched them When replacing the bumper for a ARB bumper and installed a front camera…

Tbh once the D3 is in your “system” you will know where the (unseen) front end is when parking /manoeuvred

Regarding fuel consumption, you can try a autobox reset…. At least it’s behaviour will adapt to your driving style…. But keep in mind, you bought a garden shed on wheels.. ie same aerodynamics as that shed.. they use fuel.. massively….
But at driving steadily 50 /65 mls max, they are reasonable efficient

The egrs do not do much regarding fuel consumption when driving, but the inlet (y-piece and covers) will be cloaked massively, as can be the sensor in the y piece manifold…

Y-piece can be cleaned, but the inlet manifold/covers, don’t even think about it..

Use the search button….for sensor cleaning etc..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #233438224th Apr 2023 10:26 am
ITK2023

I'm not expecting the mpg to be great, just aiming to hit what it is meant to be getting. I've got to do long trips to South West France every year to see family, and the difference between 31mpg and 34mpg on the whole trip is over £100. So anything that gets the Disco performing as well as it was designed to is probably going to be worth it.

I have ordered a parking sensor for now, if that doesn't work I'll try a new loom too. Unfortunately my code reader isn't clever enough to read the codes about the parking sensors.

Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit rear heated seats? Are the connectors for them in the main loom, or would I need to make a loom as well as buying the heating elements and switches?

Post #233439924th Apr 2023 1:46 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I think you have to take "published" MPG with a large pinch of salt.

I recorded every litre of fuel put into my D3 over 81,716 miles. Those litres as gallons 3,200.4 gave an overall MPG of 25.5

I only bettered 30 MPG on a single tankful on a long motorway journey on a quiet summer's night.

My D4 often lies to me and says that I am doing NN MPG, when in reality it's doing 3 to 4 MPG less.

See this thread for similar comments from other owners:- https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/mpg-190956.html?highlight=MPG

Good luck.

NJSS

Post #233440024th Apr 2023 1:55 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ITK2023 wrote:
I'm not expecting the mpg to be great, just aiming to hit what it is meant to be getting.

And what are those figures? 15 years ago? With everything fresh in your motor (incl wheel bearings etc.) Under what circumstances? In what country? (Driving in the UK makes quite a difference in my D3 against driving it in The Netherlands where i live, ie flat) what configuration (empty without chairs etc.?) in a time/period when “dieselgate“ like testing was something a lot off manufacturers seem to have done exept jlr off course Cool Laughing

The secret is your right foot though…
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #233440424th Apr 2023 2:22 pm
ITK2023

The actual number itself doesn't matter so much, but x+2 or 3 mpg is still better than x mpg. In my other car getting an average of 30mpg on the same journey is a miracle that involves barely breathing on the throttle.

Post #233440924th Apr 2023 2:52 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ITK2023 wrote:
I'm not expecting the mpg to be great, just aiming to hit what it is meant to be getting. I've got to do long trips to South West France every year to see family, and the difference between 31mpg and 34mpg on the whole trip is over £100. So anything that gets the Disco performing as well as it was designed to is probably going to be worth it.

I have ordered a parking sensor for now, if that doesn't work I'll try a new loom too. Unfortunately my code reader isn't clever enough to read the codes about the parking sensors.

Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit rear heated seats? Are the connectors for them in the main loom, or would I need to make a loom as well as buying the heating elements and switches?

I used to drive to our French home in the Dordogne every year in our manual D3 with the family and luggage as well as a bike rack on the rear. I used to get 24-26mpg on the round trip. You've got to remember you're in a 15 year old car with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Re the heated rear seats, the wiring might be there and you can buy the heating elements for the seats so you might be lucky and its just plug and play with a couple switches. If not, there are lots of companies that can do it.

As for codes, one of your best investments is a GAP BT IID. You can pick them up on here.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder