Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Auto gearbox Mega flush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
1powerrack

England 
Auto gearbox Mega flush

has anyone recently had the mega flush and Gearbox filter replaced recently? I am just trying to get an idea of the cost, being in Manchester I will be trying to find a garage in this region,
thanks
 D3 4.4 V8 2005 sadly now gone
Freelander 2 i6 HSE now gone was a very good 4x4
Triumph TR8 

Post #232033528th Dec 2022 8:06 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well megaflush users don’t change the filter.
And as it can result in leaks, I guess I don’t blame um too much

Post #232034228th Dec 2022 8:22 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Never had a leak after a filter change on the transmission, it's no exaggeration to say I've done over a hundred - some on a ramp, some on the ground, they are awkward to do on the ground so I guess for most it's too much trouble / not profitable enough.

Post #232034628th Dec 2022 8:30 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You probably use quality parts. Thumbs Up

I’ve also heard the “it can cause leaks” from indies here and it turned out there were at least a batch of metal pans that weren’t properly made and even with a good gasket not flush enough with the transmission housing. Whistle

FWIW, as a comparison. Here it’s 350 eur VAT 24% for a mega flush with Fuchs Titan ATF 6006 oil. Double that if you also want a metal pan and separate filter to replace the composite one.

Post #232034928th Dec 2022 8:41 pm
1powerrack

England 

thanks for the replies, so do most people just have the g/box flushed out and leave the pan and filter as is?
Triumph TR8 

Post #232035028th Dec 2022 8:46 pm
kajtzu

I think you’ll find many schools of thought on the subject.

- drain and replace what you can once
    - the same but twice
    - filo flush (search the forum)
    - mega flush

One of these with a metal pan and separate filter instead of integrated filter in a composite pan, etc.

Personally I had my D3 mega flushed around 5 years ago at 193k km and am now nearing 300k km. No issues. Knock on wood.

Post #232035428th Dec 2022 8:59 pm
1powerrack

England 

I have found 3 garages that offer the service, so I will check on prices in the morning also will ask which fluid they use,

thanks for the replies
Triumph TR8 

Post #232035628th Dec 2022 9:06 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

The fluid is the most important part, some of the cheaper ones are compliant (just) but none will have the additives of the ZF oil. Don't be fooled into having 'Dr. Tranny' or other friction modifiers added in lieu of the better quality oils, they will hide any defects and oil quality deficiencies for a while - at the expense of your transmission clutches.

It all depends upon how long you want to / expect to keep the car, the quality of the oil is either an investment or a cost.

Post #232035828th Dec 2022 9:35 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

kajtzu wrote:
You probably use quality parts. Thumbs Up

I’ve also heard the “it can cause leaks” from indies here and it turned out there were at least a batch of metal pans that weren’t properly made and even with a good gasket not flush enough with the transmission housing. Whistle

FWIW, as a comparison. Here it’s 350 eur VAT 24% for a mega flush with Fuchs Titan ATF 6006 oil. Double that if you also want a metal pan and separate filter to replace the composite one.

I used to get all over EU & Scandinavia - I think the furthest north I got in Finland was Sodankylä, Nygard in Norway was a bit further north. I rented an old Volvo for the trip and had all the parts 'arranged' by a UK dealer for collection in Norway, so no VAT issues Wink I *may* have brought a few bottles in my hand luggage - not trans oil though!

Post #232035928th Dec 2022 9:52 pm
1powerrack

England 

my thought was to insist on the ZF oil and I noticed on one of the web sites ZF fluid was at extra cost implying they would try to use a cheaper fluid to ZF in the 1st instance.

cheers
Triumph TR8 

Post #232036028th Dec 2022 9:58 pm
kajtzu

The “best” is ZF LifeguardFluid 6… but of course it’s not made by ZF but by Shell (originally). Ford used ZF 6HP26 transmissions in some vehicles as well as modified slightly ZF designs, at least 6R60, and in USA/Canada they put Mercon SP in theirs. Also originally made by Shell.

Many Americans put Mercon SP in 6HP26 transmissions in their D3s, too, because of the price compared to LG6. Someone on a BMW forum determined, after sending in samples of ATFs to an oil lab, that LG6 and Ford Mercon SP are almost identical. See https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/automat...sp.441992/.

Other “generally acceptable” ATFs, used by people, are for example Mannol AG55, Ravenol ATF 6HP, Redline D6, Pentosin ATF6, Fuchs Titan 6006. Pentosin is owned by Fuchs by the way.

Less acceptable have been the BG Universal ATF (nowadays BG Premium Full Synthetic ATF) that I used 5 years ago and that I got some comments in various forums because of its red dye. Still, according to the technical specification it’s compatible with at least Mercon SP, ZF LG6, etc. etc. according to the manufacturer. And again American LR shops put it in, too, in their D3s.

Anyway, bottom line is do your research to the degree you feel comfortable, cargo cult someone else’s or choose the most expensive one Mr. Green

Post #232036128th Dec 2022 10:12 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Personally, for the frequency it's changed, 'almost the same' wouldn't do it for me. I've recently bought a vehicle with the 6HP26 transmission, 145k miles on it and the original oil & filter, I used 20 litres of Smith & Allan transmission oil (circa £100) to flush it with (as in drain-fill x3) before changing the pan & filter along with the suction block & valve block tubes and refilling with Lifeguard 6. I've done 5k since then and the changes are getting smoother by the week.

Shell would be in breach of contract with either Mercon or ZF if they 'shared' or produced a composite from the unique additive mix specified by one or the other, the base oil will be the same across many brands as there is a minimum specification it has to meet, the difference (and perceived / actual value) is in what else is in it to improve on the base specification. There are some differences to the Ford version of the 6HP26 (even though it shares the same designation) it was built under licence in a Ford plant, I'll see if I can find a ZF doc. I have somewhere that highlights the (minor) differences.

Post #232036428th Dec 2022 10:22 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

And if you are opening up the sump, change the connector sleeve as these Are likely to leak after a flush, either because of the flush or Sod’s law! Or probability it’s going to leak sometime

Post #232037128th Dec 2022 10:38 pm
1powerrack

England 

thank you that's really great info, I feel much more confident on the options, Lifeguard 6 will be my preference but it will be interesting to see who offers the worst fluid, but then I might be surprised what they use

cheers
Triumph TR8 

Post #232037228th Dec 2022 10:41 pm
kajtzu

Well, philosophically, this is what the manual lists:

- Engine oil is supposed to be Castrol, it’s even stated on the oil cap. I don’t do that.
    - Nor do I put Castrol SAF-XO in the differentials even though that’s what’s listed
    - Nor do I put Land Rover Genuine Special Transfer Case Fluid in the transfer case
    - Nor do I put Chevron Texaco Havoline XLC as coolant
    - Nor do I put Texaco 14315 Cold Climate PAS as the power steering fluid

Looking at the list, I’d imagine many others wouldn’t either because some of these can’t be obtained reasonably easily. I do know many put Castrol in because they like the brand or it’s the recommendation or “it’s the best” or whatever. YMMV and that’s fine. But there are alternatives. Whistle

More information tends to lead to more informed decisions (so less information asymmetry).

Post #232037328th Dec 2022 10:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >