Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help with light bar mod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

wjjoiners wrote:
How easy is it to wire in the light bar?

Hi

Hope u don't mind me adding but done a thread last year , has some good links including pictures of switch panels, ( page 2 ) wiring etc

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic198012...pot+lights

Fingers crossed it’s useful to u

Post #231903716th Dec 2022 9:32 pm
gstuart

also wished to share one of the options of switch locations

Must confess did pinch the idea from other members , I don’t have a sunroof so got a cabin light off eBay that had the sunroof switch , removed the sunroof switch and replaced it with one from carling which fits perfectly

They offer many different symbols that u can have etched onto the switch , picture below shows the one I went for

Did also come across a genuine spot light wiring harness again from eBay, but of course as suggested there are many other options

Hope that’s also useful to u

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #231904116th Dec 2022 9:55 pm
wjjoiners

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Really is helpful thankyou. Did you install that switch panel? Seems like a really good idea and in a really good place. Considering the triple 12v is still available.

Thanks mate!

Post #231904516th Dec 2022 10:08 pm
gstuart

Ur so very welcome , always so nice where I’ve been very kindly assisted to then pass it on

Yes I did fit the switch panel and at the same time installed a 3.5mm aux socket , a cabin temperature gauge , some 12 Vdc sockets allowing me to add adaptors for usb and USB-c etc, did buy a loom that incorporated the 3.5mm socket , should be able to see the 3.5mm socket in the first picture

Also fitted an aux fuse box in the upper glove box , which allowed me to fit a separate fuse for each item, ie switch panel, also the convenience having a ready supply for my dash cam that I still need to install

Apologises if you’ve already seen it but there’s also the dashboard light switch , plus found the wiring diagram for u

Personally got a pair of 9” spots for my A bar , just placed them temporarily on the bar , they also have side lights

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #231905016th Dec 2022 10:45 pm
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi,

This is where I put my switches for front, side and rear lights, as well as winch controls and compressor isolator.

Click image to enlarge

I've swapped the head unit so I also have space above the CB (no picture available), also have the Aux and USB for carplay mounted here, on the RHS is the Easylift controller

There are loads of options for switch locations, just need to decide which works for you. I have this switch / usb charger panel that I made, but I've since made a better one (can be seen above).

Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #231912217th Dec 2022 2:03 pm
gstuart

^^^^^^

Wished to say that you’ve done some fantastic work there mate , bet that took a while to cut them into the overhead light

Massive credit to u Bow down

May I also ask regarding ur top satnav area , is that a small iPad screen in its place plse , thks

Post #231912517th Dec 2022 2:14 pm
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Gary I appreciate that. It wasn't too bad cutting the hole then I fitted a frame for the switches, glued with epoxy, a bit of magnolia caulk to seal any gaps and all good. I got a usb charger to fit too, but ended up using all the slots for switches! Would be handy for powering camera etc.
This is the frame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373234930449?mk...media=COPY

It's actually a Eonon stereo, I used to have my tablet there which worked fine but I couldn't have a reverse camera. This is the stereo:

eonon Q03Pro 10.1 inch IPS 2.5D... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QMP41QY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I use android auto which is great, it also has Apple carplay, which is also really good (son used it in his old car. The screen is flexible and can be moved up or down, tilted or twisted, so I have it slightly angled towards me for a better viewing angle. It does sit very slightly in front of tge vents, but not enough to cause overheating or block air flow. I'm still trying to get the IID working on it, but I think I've sorted Easylift.

I tried the one below first but it was ridiculously slow and reset maps every time you turned off the ignition.

GOFORJUMP 10 inch Android 8.1... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SRBPN12?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
 Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #231915517th Dec 2022 6:34 pm
gstuart

Ur so welcome and justly deserved as I know when I fitted my 3.5mm socket into my dashboard that was very time consuming in getting it to fit properly and can see what a cracking job u had diene with those switches

Bless u for that , do intend at some stage to fit a new head unit and satnav , having the base mode at least I don’t have to worry of disabling anything , lol, have seen some units but then they didn’t have a CD player

Thks so much once again Thumbs Up

Post #231922518th Dec 2022 9:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >