Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Battery drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lenny1974

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Battery drain

So, over the last few days car battery has been draining at a massive rate. Trickle charged over night, starts up and then after a drive and turn off, fails to start due to low battery. Before I start to check with multimeter and pull the fuses are there any known issues and common areas that cause battery drain. Mines a 2005 2.7 v6 diesel, not sure if model makes a difference. I don't believe there is any kind of tracker fitted, and this has only started recently.

Any advice appreciated. [/code]

Post #23173373rd Dec 2022 8:58 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Have you checked the charge voltage with the engine running?

Post #23173383rd Dec 2022 9:07 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or the battery is simply worn/sulfated/end of life..
Can happen within a few hours….
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #23173543rd Dec 2022 11:12 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check the voltage with engine running then after sitting for about an hour, if its 13.5V + running then alternator is likely ok, if the battery is 12V (low 12 ) or lower then its stuffed.

Post #23173634th Dec 2022 12:31 am
Lenny1974

I did a good run of 100 miles last night and when I'd finished driving the battery was at 14.5v with engine running and 12.6v when turned off. I have put it on trickle charge and will see what it reads later. Will then disconnect the trickle charger and read again in the morning having it sat for a night. I know its had a new alternator fitted about 12 months ago, so not sure its just the battery being old (even if the little window shows green). I am reluctant to just fit a new battery if there is any parasitic drain when the car is standing which will ultimately lead to the new battery getting knackered.

Post #23175065th Dec 2022 10:42 am
cjaw

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Battery drain

Get the battery tested, mine only lasted 2 years, I had fault codes come on all the time when first thing started up. fitted a good battery YASA and no problems since. If it is a 5 year warranty battery, they are usually better, the disco 3 and 4's are heavy on power demand from the batteries.

Post #23175235th Dec 2022 11:55 am
Lenny1974

This may sound a stupid question, but what is done to test a battery to ensure it works properly ? Is there some special gadget or tool that checks voltage/amps etc compared to a multimeter and what I have done already ?

Post #23175255th Dec 2022 12:00 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

14,5 V running, so your alternator sounds ok..
if turned off 12,6V also = ok..

BUT then... a sulfated battery does loose its current/load fairly quickly..

a proper battery test is under heavy load... you need special equipment for that, not extreme expensive equipment though but most people do not have big resistance measuring devices at home..

you talk about trickle charging.. there are a lot bad ones around... only a few good ones...
but a good trickle charger, is not designed to charge a battery ,only maintain it..

a good charger with trickle capability's could be an answer when you do a lot of short runs, or long periods between runs/ride's otherwise you don't normmaly need them..

a sulfated battery can occur only a few hours after a deepcycle (everything below 12V, even 11,8V is deepcycle, since 12V is 100% empty, 12,6V is 100% charged)

edit: IF you want to test it yourself, buy such a device...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-R...amp;sr=8-4

The BIG LOAD/resistance capability's are important! not "just" measuring the volts

simple and rather inexpensive... but a good indie will test it for you for less, or even free at least here in The Netherlands it is not a big issue overhere if they do regular maintenance for you..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #23175265th Dec 2022 12:27 pm
Lenny1974

Thanks for the info and definitely sounds more like a sulfated battery. I will check the readings later and probably just go for a new battery. For info, I have got a ctek charger which I know is a good one, plus I bought a NOCO booster just in case I need it whilst I am still using the vehicle (I've got a few cars, so this isn't just for the Disco).

Post #23175275th Dec 2022 12:38 pm
Lenny1974

Well, after checking what voltage the battery was at after a day of trickle charging it was only on 10.5volts, so I just plumped for a new battery and fitted it last night. All working ok so far and a few low battery glitches have disappeared. Fingers crossed there is no parasitic drain, it was just a knackered battery. when looking at the old battery, it stated recharge in 2017, so assume it must be from around 2015 when it was fitted, so about 8 years old anyway.

Post #23176406th Dec 2022 1:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >