Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Tyres...Help me choose pleeeeeeeeeeze
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Drive cosy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Tyres...Help me choose pleeeeeeeeeeze

Well it seems I need some new rubber. After reading the bad reports about the OE Wranglers, and thinking it was just a matter of time, I have split one. It seems dirt roads aren't their forte. Confused

Disco is a MY08 4.0 SE.

My priorities are:

1. Grip in the wet on bitumen
2. Robustness on dirt roads, ability to resist punctures/damage
3. No more noise than the Wranglers, if possible

Long term wear doesn't concern me too much as I don't mind it in a grippy tyre.I also would like to stay with 255/60R18 but that's proving difficult. Also, absolute grip in mud doesn't really concern me.

Now, after sitting here and wading through the threads (thankyou all Thumbs Up ) I've narrowed it down to:

Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 265/60R18
Cooper HT+ 265/60R18
General Grabber AT2 255/60R18

The Grabbers seem like the most aggressive out of the three. Can anyone comment on their noise level compared to the OE Wranglers? How do they compare on the road in the wet, and touring on bitumen?

I am tending more to the Yokies or Coopers as they seem much more road biased.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

Post #2670183rd Mar 2008 4:06 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk.

I have searched and read 'til it's all a blur but slowly to the top has percolated the General Grabber AT2 (at 255/60R18 anyway), including reports that the noise is similar to Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes.

Hopefully the great and the good - well, at least the well-shod - will be along to summarise the benefits on this thread. Very Happy

Or blow it all into a confusion of disagreement and prejudice ... Shocked . They wouldn't, would they? Whistle
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #2670233rd Mar 2008 5:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sticking to the OE size, I'd go the General Grabber. I'm running Mickey Thompson ATZ in a larger size, and the noise is not really noticeable - and I'd take the tyre strength and durability over quiet any day! The General Grabber is a fairly similar tread pattern. An alternative woud be the BFG AT now available for 18" wheels - but this is a bit oversize, thought still within the 50mm difference now allowed by most state govt's.

All the best with your decision!

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2670243rd Mar 2008 5:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ontheridge

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I went for the HT+ as the AT options had not arrived yet, have to say i can't fault them, very quiet, good all round traction & not showing any signs of wear after 6000kms.

Have to say the Yokohama AT/S looks interesting, this may be worth a try.

Good luck
Cheers
Shaun
 D4 TDV6 MY13' - 2 weeks away!
RRS S/C MY10' - muchly loved and just gone
D3 TDV6 SE MY06' - loved and gone 

Post #2670273rd Mar 2008 8:05 am
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Have had the Yoko Geolanders for 15,000km - they're great.

Compared to the OEM Wranglers:-
No noticeable noise differance
A little more roll when cornering hard on the tarmac
Perform very well off road
Lovely on wet tarmac
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #2670703rd Mar 2008 10:45 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I run AT2's as I do a fair of serious offroad stuff. In my opinion based on your driving requirements the Cooper HT should be the quietest while still offering some degree tuffness. Also it comes down to how you want your D3 to look? Street Car, gravel tourer or a more ruggered offroad vehicle.
There is never an easy answer.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #2670843rd Mar 2008 11:23 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have HT+ Coopers on mine. Good on road good on gravel (no punctures since I put them on) not good on slippery rocks and cr Censored p on mud.
From your priorities should suit, only very slightly oversize ( should be the right size in a couple of thousand kms) Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2670913rd Mar 2008 11:50 am
catweasel

I have the Grabbers and done 25000 on them so far. good in all conditions except not used them in rain (as it hasn't) they do however have a flaw that allows the tread block on the side to be ripped off easily. will post pics when I can to show u what I mean. I will not buy them again FWIW unless I have to.

Post #2671413rd Mar 2008 1:39 pm
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

On my D1 the Michelins and on the D2 the BFG AT's suffered the same problem, cutting off the lugs. Evil or Very Mad Seen it the same problem on other vehicles with BFG's.
I think it is a common problem with these tyre patterns in abrasive country.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #2675093rd Mar 2008 10:53 pm
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re AT2s

Have Grabbers on for 8000k now and they seem pretty good. So much better on the dirt and they feel better on the road although they are a bit noisier and the ride is not as good. They seem to hum a bit at low speeds. As we don't get alot of rain down here haven't had much experience in the wet but suspect that the grip levels are less than the Wranglers. Had 6 punctures with OEMs in two years negotiating the dirt road to our house!! Would have preffered BFG AT but had heard that they can rub a little.
Good Luck with your decision.
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #2675313rd Mar 2008 11:34 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Drive Cosy - I have 12,000km on Yokohama Geolandars and love them... Based on your criteria - great in the wet, great on gravel roads and less noise than OEMs... plus one extra bonus - LEGAL in NSW. That would keep P.C. Plod and Mr Insurance man happy! Thumbs Up

Post #2675363rd Mar 2008 11:51 pm
Drive cosy

Thanks all for the input, all good stuff. Thumbs Up

I've decided to go with the Cooper HT+'s for a couple of reasons. One is the Yokies are not available UFN so it would make them a little hard to get! Confused The other, as I mentioned above, is I'd prefer a road biased tread pattern. We have another 4wd in the household fleet that gets used for the really rough/potentially damaging stuff so an AT isn't really needed. The Disco is mainly used for the day to day run around and general bus duties. If I do decide (read: have swmbo's blessing Laughing ) to do some serious stuff I think I'll get a set of 17's.

Up until last week I can't remember the last time I'd gotten a flat. That's with the last decade or so of 4wd-ing, too. Here's hoping the Coopers are everything they're made out to be. Mr. Green

Post #2675574th Mar 2008 1:06 am
Dickie Nee

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Tyres

I am able to give good imput on all but the Yokies.

I run 2 sets of Coopers and now are on the AT2's.

I also tow a off road caravan with plenty of weight.

We have travelled around Australia on Black Top and Off Road.

I have worn out 2 sets of Coopers 25,000km per set. Dirt roads cut them out too quickly and they are quiet on the black top.

The AT2's are fantastic off road and after around 10,000km no signs of wear. They do have a slight hum on the Black Top and they tow well in the wet as well.

I wasted my money on the Coopers.

I have also found better feul comsumption since going to the AT2's by around 3km per 100km.

All the best

Post #2675734th Mar 2008 5:47 am
Drive cosy

Initial impressions of the Coopers are they are much quieter. The highly scientific and infallible roundabout test shows much less noise when turning in and cornering. The Goodyears used to sound their protest but did a good job on bitumen regardless.

I don't know how much diameter they added but I'd hazard a guess it's more than the simplistic tyre size calculators deduce.

Ride seems a bit firmer, too. Probably due to the stronger sidewalls. Wife describes it as "more bouncy", probably as good a description as any.

Will have to wait a couple of weeks to get them on dirt. Big Cry

Post #2685086th Mar 2008 4:12 am
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I too have the AT2's

I can report that my hair has grown back. For the first time in years when I go to the bathroom i can see my willie.
My runaway daughter has returned home and the dog has stopped farting in front of the TV.

Life is good with AT2's

Laughing

Post #2689887th Mar 2008 7:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >