Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Loss of power & fumes inside cabin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
EagleBoy48

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Loss of power & fumes inside cabin

Hi, looking for a little bit of help as I’ve never owned a Land Rover before. Apologise in advance for the numerous questions.

I bought a Disco 3 TDV6, manual with 115,000 miles on the clock yesterday from an owner who regularly changed oil & oil filter and seemed to do his best to look after the vehicle. All was great on the test drive around country lanes……however! Today I took it on the motorway, put my foot down and around 3000 rpm had a sudden loss of power, to almost nothing. Awful feeling as I was moving at a snails pace on a smart motorway with lorries close to rear ending me. Found out that if I put the clutch in, let the revs drop to 1000rpm then re-engage all is well. It doesn’t stop the problem and I’ve been able to replicate it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. The turbo seems to spool up loudly (sounds a bit boy racer esq.) around the 3000rpm just before this happens. Would like to know what the possible causes are as I’ll have a go at swapping out simple parts on the weekend.

Also, there’s a lot of fumes getting inside the cabin to the point where I’m getting a headache and dry throat. I put the air recirculating on but that seems to be as much use as a wet paper bag! Whilst playing with that found the air-con doesn’t get cold but guessing a regas is the first step in a list of possible fixes?

The previous owner did an EGR delete but never cleared the ECU so I have a warning message and I’m wondering if this is playing mind games with the engine? They also did a decat and also wondering if this could be the culprit for the fumes?

Other than this it’s awesome.

Post #23170491st Dec 2022 5:32 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Firstly - welcome to the madhouse!

It does sound like there has been a fair bit of tinkering, so I'd suggest starting by looking at what's been modified to make sure it's been done to an acceptable standard.

Are you handy with spanners or will you be needing to find a good garage to do the work ?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #23170501st Dec 2022 5:47 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Check the exhaust cross over pipe at the rear of the engine and also check that the butterfly valve has been removed from the air intake it should have been done when the egr valves were bkanked but if he hasnt installed a software patch he most likely hasnt done the valve.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #23170521st Dec 2022 7:15 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

cross-over pipe was first thing I thought of ... then figured that the mods done could also give similar symptoms if not done correctly, so eliminate those first seemed logical.

edit: also didn't want to raise (pun intended) "body off" as a possibility on 1st reply to a newbie's 1st ever post - at just after 4:30 in the morning too !

Post #23170541st Dec 2022 7:37 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

A split inlet manifold would also give the same symptoms, you need to get the engine cover off and start looking for soot and/or oily residue, if you can get underneath and remove the transmission undertray, then you should be able to see around the bellhousing for any signs of soot from a split crossover pipe etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the recirc not blocking the fumes, the air inlet is under the scuttle and you don't really get engine bay fumes moving forward & up when the vehicle is moving, it's more likely being drawn in past worn door & window seals. Once you find the source of the fumes and rectify it, that issue will go away.

Post #23170551st Dec 2022 8:25 am
EagleBoy48

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks for the feedback.

Before reading these replies I replaced the air filter and particle filter (glove box one) and it seemed to do the job……but then tonight it seems I may have just been a bit too easy on the throttle and the loss of power persisted. I’ll get the spanner’s out and go through the suggestions in the posts above, hoping one of them fixes the issue.

Did take it to a garage to check the fume situation, turns out when the cat was removed the straight pipe weld had failed just above the gearbox so that’s booked in for a repair on Monday. Fingers crossed that fixes the fumes, maybe some of the power problems?

Did the air con regas thing and that’s working fine now. So far I’ve spent £89 on two filters from Landrover and £59 on an air con regas. Not too bad so far…….hoping no turbo swap though otherwise in the thousand plus mark.

Post #23173253rd Dec 2022 6:30 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

Definitely worth looking at site sponsors Advanced Factors for any parts you may need. You'll find good quality and prices.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/service-...-180-c.asp

No connection, just used to buy from there for my D3.
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #23173263rd Dec 2022 6:46 pm
jagbloke

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome, I have a 2005 manual SE.

There are definitely two things worth checking before you get carried away with body removal.

I get fumes in the cabin on cold days because I have a leak in the exhaust from my fuel burning heater - I only found this out by accident recently as I was topping up the screenwash and the FBH was running - smoke was coming out near the unit from the leaky pipe. It's a horrible acrid smell - although it doesn't go on long.

I had some very bad loss of power caused by a small (and not immediately obvious) split in the turbo intercooler pipe - it's a long pipe that runs from down at the intercooler and over the engine - this caused my engine to be gutless and make smoke, but didn't show any warning lights or fault codes. It's a common fault but it is easy to replace the pipe and the pipe isn't that expensive so it's worth a look.

Post #231860214th Dec 2022 12:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >