Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

F, on the ground cranks over but wont start.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lee1976

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3
F, on the ground cranks over but wont start.

Hi all, couldn’t if cone at a worst time! Mother in law’s funeral late next week and the disco is giving me hell! So back ground. MOT failed due to rear pads ( after replacing had plenty of life still ) track rod end needs doing, and no reverse lights! So done pads and disks myself reverse lights was odd but after swapping around the rear fog light bulbs with reverse light bulbs they now work and have one dead fog bulb ( replacements on route ).
Been out and about and literally 15meters from drive the three amigos appear dropped the suspension and then the engine stopped! Tried to crank her over and would fire then die after 5 secs she will not idle. Tried and tried with no luck. Pushed her in front of house, and then sat inside swearing. Any other week / time would be fine but why now! Anyway after faffing around in the car with icarsoft diag and trying to turn over the battery went dead. Went to lock the car up and realised that my key would not lock seems jey battery is dead. Checked wifes set and they worked So went inside to read the forums some more. Called AA out this morning as i have max package and never used them for years. Started with charging battery

And then tried turn over it started and died after 3-5 secs. When checking the strada valve I don’t see any fuel coming through when cranking it? Also his diag tool only showed 1.7bar of pressure when cranking on the fuel pressure sensor. He said it probably needs the fuel pump changing! So anyway i can get it recovered to any garage at a later date ( monday ) but want to confirm its not electrical or a earth fault ?

Will put the battery on a full charge myself first.

Any help is really appreciated. Just seems odd that first both reverse lights stoped working and only one bulb had failed and now all of this all with 2 days. So really feels electrical to me. Did lift passenger carpet and its soaking and spotted the wiring loom of hell running down that side so will take a look for obvious corrosion etc

Post #23138116th Nov 2022 1:16 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Turning the ignition on you should be able to hear the fuel pump while outside the car.
If you don’t you could take a look at the fuse and swap a relay.

It could be due to a wet fusebox I guess

Post #23138216th Nov 2022 1:36 pm
Lee1976

Cheers will try just need the battery charging first 😉 then I’ll take a listen

Post #23138226th Nov 2022 1:39 pm
Lee1976

So purchased a new battery charger the Ring RSC612 plugged it to positive on bat and neg on chassis. Checked voltage 11.6 😞😞😞 checked CCA cant see markings on battery but assuming 700 would be a good guess and is what the booklet says to go for all it has is 160A. So looks like the battery is dead or nearly dead. Set it off on a repair charge and will see what its like in the morning. If this sorts the warning lights and gets the landrover moving thats great I’ll get down and get a new battery fitted straight away. If once charged and volts are 13v+ and Amps are high and it still doesn’t run for more than 10 secs i might cry lol

Post #23138516th Nov 2022 5:06 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

These vehicles require a lot of power. If battery is three to four years old, just replace it as most problems stem from this problem.

Post #231649627th Nov 2022 10:20 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You should get fuel without cranking, the pump only runs for about 30 seconds after switching ignition on and you should hear it running.
Have you touched the brake lights or bulbs?- they can cause strange faults to appear.
If you’ve been cranking the engine a lot the problem is not the battery, just needs recharge.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #231652327th Nov 2022 12:35 pm
Lee1976

Funny you should say that! Had no reverse lights which I thought very odd, switched bulbs around with fog lights to see if they where faulty had one blown replaced and all lights worked then 10miles of driving and this happened.

Post #231655527th Nov 2022 3:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >