DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

HTC special programs problems after rack change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wanborough one

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
HTC special programs problems after rack change

Hi All
Changed my steering rack on the week end as the old one had some play in it. We swapped over the old arms to the new rack and reconnected and all seemed good.
Went out for a test drive and the rack felt a little heavier on the steering versus the old one but apart from that (we did bleed it) the special programs popped up and the code pointed us to the steering angle sensor.
After a bit of research we had a look around the sensor and found the ring was moving on the steering collum which we may of dislodged tapping up the linkage when we changed the rack so we removed it and did the araldite to the shaft jobbie and replaced it. It was a bit late at night and raining yesterday but when we started her up the suspension rose and all lights were out so thumbs up and job done.
This morning drove out of the drive and bingo HTC code and lowered suspension within a few yards, stopped turned off started up all good then starting moving and same problem.
Also noticed a grinding noise on right lock which seemed strange.
Checked fluid level and all good, re bleed the rack with no new fluid needed then plugged in the reader and noticed the right and left steering angles didnt match about 100 odd apart roughly 617 one side and 520 the other, central wheel around 90.
Have I discovered the problem here? Am I a revolution out on the steering wheel here on the steering wheel when we reconnected the rack??

As always look forward to you replies, like yes you plonker or no it points to something else!!

Post #231510715th Nov 2022 11:27 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

you need to reset the steering angle sensor and prob get a four wheel alinment done if you have had the front end apart
if you have a iid tool try reseting the steering angle first but you'll prob still need the tracking at the very least reset
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #231516615th Nov 2022 7:50 pm
wanborough one

Hi
Thanks for that, have just managed to re calibrate the steering angle with my i soft scanner so now all good.
And yes will be getting a 4 wheel and camber done before the MOT just got to get the front lower suspension arms changed this weekend before I do that.
Thanks again for the input

Post #231516815th Nov 2022 8:14 pm
wanborough one

Closure

Just top confirm re setting the steering angle solved the problem, just in case anyone else has the same problem

Post #231566420th Nov 2022 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >