DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Who needs a Christmas tree when you have a disco3 dashboard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Costa-p wrote:
Flatlander wrote:
Firstly, focus on the EGR DTC, as well as induction leaks, this can occur if the EGR position is being incorrectly reported - i.e. a defective EGR valve. Check the actual values, commanded vs. actual for both valves, if one seems to 'wander' then disconnect it, it will / may cause the EML to illuminate (dependent upon MY) but won't cause any other errors or cascade errors. There are a lot of 'invalid data' DTC's set, without knowing which data is invalid, you need to check DTC's for physical issues - such as the three I've highlighted.

One of the DTC's is very specific "parking brake controls module U0100- lost communication with engine control module" in conjunction with the appropriate wiring diagram, you have a starting point.
And another one with "Instrument pack U0132- lost communication with ride level control module"

Both are lost communication DTC's, not invalid data so will have a bearing on your issue, despite the commonly held belief that you can ignore 'U codes'.

So as I’ve mentioned the egr’s have been blanked but not in the normal way most people would do it, so I know after blanking them you would need a ecu remap to delete the necessary files and I didn’t want this done so what I did is I left the existing egr valves in place which were faulty and I blanked them off and then I placed some new egr valves into the engine bay (not installed) but then I connected the connector to the new egr valves which are not actually installed, my thinking was to trick the ecu into thinking the new egr valves were installed where in fact the old egr’s are still in place but blanked off, I hope this made sense. This has been like this for some which never caused me any issues, do you think it might be he cause?

With regards to the other U codes do you suggest I look for any breaks in the wiring/corrosion for those modules?

Check the EGR commanded vs. actual values, if OK and no 'wandering' over a few minutes with engine hot, then check for intake air and charge air leaks, that DTC can only be caused by a faulty EGR valve or an intake / charge air leak or defective / blocked boost pressure sensor.
Missing / lost comms can be caused by a module shutting down improperly (loss of power supply or {rarely} corrupted data / 'spamming' module), poor connection or corrupted communication (HS-CAN so it needs CAN+ and CAN-) caused by pin grip issues, corroded wiring etc. etc. a loop resistance check may point you to the cause - but don't get too involved, generally it's a simple cause although the problem may seem complex.

Post #231491313th Nov 2022 9:40 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well your new uninstalled EGRs explains that code at least.

Your trick won’t work sadly.

Post #231491613th Nov 2022 9:52 pm
Costa-p

United Kingdom 

Ok soo maybe my egr hack didn’t work perfectly but is there a possibility it is causing the hdc, suspension etc faults on the dash? I guess I can install the new egr’s and that should resolve that fault code, but my main issue is the car going into limp mode

Post #231491813th Nov 2022 10:05 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Pete K wrote:
Well your new uninstalled EGRs explains that code at least.

Your trick won’t work sadly.

Using a 'dummy' EGR does work fine, my D3 (2007MY) had one fitted with both position signal wires connected for 12k miles and is still working for it's new owner. Provided it's reporting actual = commanded position, there will be no DTC's set.

Post #231492113th Nov 2022 10:39 pm
Costa-p

United Kingdom 

I will check with my iid tool the actual vs command values and report back if these are the same

Post #231493313th Nov 2022 11:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >