Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Discovery 3 Brake Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
wanborough one

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Pete K

Yes we did we ran it several times and the same thing every time. Back to the drawing board.

May try reverse bleeding if no other forum members can contribute.

Thanks again

Post #230567827th Aug 2022 8:41 am
wanborough one

UPDATE
re bleed all the brakes in the traditional way a couple of times and got a few bits of air out of each nipple and have a rock hard pedal without the engine running or vacuum pipe attached.
I appreciate I have new pads and discs all round so the braking wont be normal until they bed in but the moment I connect the servo vacuum line if you apply soft pressure to the pedal it sinks softly right to the floor and you get a bite right at the end of the travel.

This is really doing my head in now so please and suggestions would be welcome!

UPDATE 2
Just took it out with vacuum pipe disconnected, rock hard pedal minimal braking effect (remember new servo V8,master cyl, soft brake hoses and new discs and calipers all round and not really beeded in yet)
Reconnected vac pipe some minimal brake help, then hit the pedal which then feels hard and finally stops but if you keep your foot on the pedal it sinks to the floor!!

Come on guys I know its bank holiday and d3 brakes have been done to death on here but this operation is not right and someone must have a solution or better advice. I have read the pedal is meant to sink, well in my experience I have never had that in any car I have owned and I was a mechanic back in the day so have some knowledge.

Last edited by wanborough one on 29th Aug 2022 12:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #230586629th Aug 2022 10:59 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well if you got some air out, there maybe more to come.

Just have to try all the different bleeding techniques.

Post #230587329th Aug 2022 12:10 pm
wanborough one

Hi Pete K
Yes I will battle on and re bleed (although other half is getting fed up with pumping Lols) but feel there is something more going on here maybe

Post #230587529th Aug 2022 12:41 pm
wanborough one

ABS Vin recoding GAP iiD Disco 3

Someone on this forum must have some insight to this problem.

Forum member Bungle kindly lent me his GapiiD tool and I brought a new vin addition to use it for 80 quid and found it does not allow recording of the ABS Vin so in effect I still cant communicate with the ABS unit until the Vin is changed.

Brakes are non existent really and definitely not safe to drive so I am pretty much stuck now.

Ok I could send the original pump off to be refurbished but having spent so much already I would prefer to find a solution to the VIN coding.

Come on guys give me the benefit of your knowledge on this subject please. Can I split the module from the old pump and pair it with the new one maybe (new as in new/used that is)

Thanks

Post #23064103rd Sep 2022 3:26 pm
ostosix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Feel for you

Hi there, i feel for you here, i think brakes are the worst thing on car to work with.

I find you can’t beat doing a bleed with two people, although i always end up doing it on my own. I always have a hard pedal and it sinks a bit on engine turnover as vac assistance comes in.

Only thing i can think of; is are you getting any fluid going back in to the reservoir? So not a closed system? Or having not pushed out pistons so pads are a fine fit leaving a lot of room to take up? Also small pumps often seem to work better that long ones.

Another edit😵‍💫, i had audi a4 were resevoir was cracked due to uv light, and wasn’t apparent until i topped up level to the neck by mistake. Then a geiser of fluid jetted out!

Post #23064123rd Sep 2022 3:41 pm
wanborough one

Hi
I could try that but problem is I now have the three amigos up and the HDC special effects off coming up on the dash as the replacement ABS pump is not coded to the vehicle so I am a bit stuck. I could put the old faulty pump back on but it would seem one of the pump valves was not working on one wheel as I could not get the rear left to do an ABS pump bleed, other three bleed with pump ok but still got air in the system for back left!

Post #23064143rd Sep 2022 3:53 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you tried one of these ?

I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23064163rd Sep 2022 4:08 pm
wanborough one

Hi
Yes way beyond that point I am afraid, manual bleed, pressure bleed many times until clear fluid but air still trapped in the ABS pump as sinking pedal and brakes only apply about one inch from floor with engine running. Solid pedal when engine off. Everything is new apart from the pump so if I can fine someone who has a scanner that actually can recode the pump I hope I will be up and running.
Thanks for the feedback though.

Post #23064193rd Sep 2022 4:26 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Could you have a leak?
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #23064203rd Sep 2022 4:36 pm
wanborough one

Hi
I have had a good look round every side and whilst I was under the vehicle working on it and I cant see anything leaking.
The culprit must be the ABS pump.

What I find strange is across this whole forum some members must of replaced an ABS pump with a second hand one at some time over the years as new ones are an arm and a leg. So they must of come across this Vin recoding issue after fitting said pump!

All I need is the solution to this and I am up and away. There are loads of these for sale on ebay with people buying them so there has to be some one or company supplying a coding solution.

Post #23064233rd Sep 2022 4:46 pm
wanborough one

Discovery 3 Brake Problems Ongoing

Whoa, very scary day today with the Gap iid tool we managed to set of the HDC special programs error so no suspension working etc
Re the vin coding issue we removed the old module and put it on the new used abs pump body so the machine could communicate so no 3 amigos etc

Re bleed everything twice again, rock hard pedal with no vacuum applied, as soon as you introduce the servo vacuum the pedal sinks slowly to the floor but the brake bites a bit with the pedal about an inch from the bottom then the pedal bottoms out.

As we re bleed the abs pump the same thing happened as before the pump would not activate abs on the left rear but did on the rest. Was expecting that as it could be a fault on the old pump module on that one wheel as we had put the old module back on to solve the VIN coding issue.

So now back to square one. and very frustrated. No air in the system but the symptoms say differently pointing back to the ABS system. Gap tool didnt indicate any sensor issues etc.

Just to remind anyone reading this thread, I checked the vacuum pump readings and had one bar on tick over. obviously cant read it when driving the vehicle but could this be vacuum pump related maybe!! Grasping at straws her guys! Big Cry

Anyone know a good indie local to swindon I can reach out to as I need to get this issue fixed.

Any help appreciated. forgot to mention we did solve the HDC special program problem, dont know how but must of re booted somehow with the Gap tool, at least we solved something today

Post #23065084th Sep 2022 3:00 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Maybe consider the new parts are defective.

I think there were some bad trw servos about

LR time on YouTube replaced their abs unit due to hdc fault

Post #23065144th Sep 2022 4:37 pm
wanborough one

Hi
That would certainly make some sense I think mine was a TRW and the first one they sent had the piston pin floating around so they replaced that and the next one had the piston pin thing in a plastic bag so you had to fit it yourself with the retaining clip which I thought was a bit strange at the time as they should come already fitted maybe!, or maybe I am wrong and thats standard?.

I will be well ...sed off if thats the case removing everything again.

Post #23065204th Sep 2022 5:05 pm
wanborough one

Discovery 3 Brake Problems UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Hi All this might help any of you with brake problems

After Pete K comments about faulty TRW servos I watched the Powerfull uk video on the subject.

Then tested my new servo and low and behold it was not holding pressure. So I pulled it out and replaced it with a second hand unit I had brought months ago when the garage were rebuilding my engine and they said it would not fit as the master cylinder ports were on the wrong side. After some further research I think it was off a range rover sport and visibly its deeper than the upgrade TRW ending 80 on the code I have now.

Fitted the servo and whilst I dont have new cylinder to ABS pump lines yet connected the vacuum pipe ran the engine then stopped it and pulled off the line and a major whoooosh of vacuum , music to my ears so I think my problem is now solved after weeks of bleeding etc etc

Just ordering some flexi pipes for the connection and once there on will update you all but hoping for a "normal" feel and great brake performance once done.
Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry for the double image!

Post #23068898th Sep 2022 9:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >