Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

suspension fault codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The compressor should cut out at around 1780kPa and the cycle period depends on how much was in the reservoir before the cycle began. Your temperatures are very high unless this was after the first fill when the system would have been completely depleted of air.

Once filled the system does not need the compressor again until air has been consumed as a result of road use, or use of the suspension height settings. Usually this would cause the compressor to run for say 30s to a max of around 90s. A short 30s run will produce a small rise in compressor temp above that of ambient, with the motor staying at the ambient. Beyond a 30s run will see these temps rise but if everything is OK the compressor shouldn't really reach or exceed 70°c in normal use and that would be a fairly long run. The motor temp will always be a long way behind the compressor temp, and so your motor temp seems very high to my eyes which tells me when combined with the high compressor temp, it had to run for an extremely long cycle, and there could only be one reason for that! A leak?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #226989730th Dec 2021 3:21 pm
PROFSR G

forest66 wrote:

im wondering if ive sorted this or there could still be a leak , does this system hold its pressure well ? i guess if i leave it a while and then go look at the kPa when i first turn on if its got a leak the pressure will be down but would it log a fault if that was the case ?

Been a busy day, but I just had a chance to have a closer look at you latest posts and hopefully the following will be of assistance.

When you are looking at the "live values" and in particular the gallery pressure. If the compressor is running the value displayed is the pressure within the reservoir tank, as this is always greater than the pressure throughout the system! Once the required pressure is reached for the reservoir (1780kPa) or thereabouts, the reservoir valve closes. The value you now see on the screen will suddenly drop dramatically, as you are no longer looking a the reservoir pressure, but the Gallery pressure within the reservoir valve. In essence the pressure that exists throughout the air suspension system with the exception of the reservoir.

That Gallery pressure figure, lets say 210kPa should remain constant if the vehicle is stationary, as it is a reflection of the pressure within the air bags, valve blocks, pipework, etc. If it's dropping, you have an air leak, if it remains constant and is not depleted after a few hours (stationary) there's no leak. It is acceptable to see a small drop particularly as these vehicles get older, but they do hold their pressure very well unless there is a leak somewhere. Forget about the different height settings and keep your analysis to within the values displayed for "normal" height setting. If this is correct the others will follow.

If there's no leak the suspension will maintain the height in which the car was left at when last used.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #226992530th Dec 2021 6:09 pm
forest66

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

yes that was helpful ,

thanks to your amazing help prof its all ok it was me being a dork and find the run time way to long when it wasnt ,
the live values on the gap tool are amazing and invaluable. and i found a thread yesterday that explained how the system works much like you just had , which gave me the knowledge i needed, and with the gap tool i was able to watch it go throw all its motions and saw the blow off for its soft start etc etc , once i understood the system it was much easier

so the suspension is fixed it seems blocked drier was the original issue ,

the date on the codes i cant find much online apart from two other that had the same but no solution

ill revisit the rest of the codes when its warmer in the spring , thank you for your time prof you have saved me hours of reading other threads that are mostly not the info i needed

if your down in lymington hampshire shout and ill stand you a crate or a trip in my boat out to the needles and a beer on board!

wheel bearing to do on mine tomorrow that will be fun , happy new year

Post #227017231st Dec 2021 8:50 pm
PROFSR G

Thank you for the generous offer and kind sentiments, who knows perhaps some day I'll be able to take you up on it Very Happy

I'm pleased you have it sorted now, and you're right regarding the value of gaining an understanding of the system. It's actually not as complicated as people think, and once you have taken the trouble to understand it maintenance quickly becomes much less of a task.

Kindest regards, and happy new year to you and yours also.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #227018331st Dec 2021 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >