Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

2006 2.7 TDV6 new crankshaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
OceanCarl

2006 2.7 TDV6 new crankshaft

Sorry, no Disco, but same engine (the other site is a bit too posh for this question Wink)

So, above mentioned engine. Snapped crankshaft. So far, not finding anything other aspects with the engine. Looks like it snapped and seized the engine immediately. All bearings look fine (in fact like new with still some color coding on them). All the main bearing seatings looks perfect.

Was pulling it apart with a new (used Jag. engine) in mind. Now, thinking of rebuilding.

But where to buy new crankshaft? So many options with so big price difference. Staing clear of the chineese ones obviously. But with prices at Island4x4 half of what Turner wants for example? Whats the difference? Do NOT want a brit-part one.. and prefferably a crank that has been modified/strenghtened so it wont snap again? (-and by that notion, leaves me wondering why on earth it snapped in the first place. Not under my ownership, but can't find any reason for it when picking it appart.. No bearings turned and all nicely soaked in oil.. Only thing i can find.. -a KCR tuning box attached to it...)

Anyways, back to real life, Anyone recomending a good place and/or what to look for in a new crank? I've heared of a portugeese option, but can't find anything on google...

-OC

Post #219007928th Nov 2020 3:29 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you want to reuse the block for a rebuild, please check the alignment of the block i.e the bearing holders.

When the crank snapped, there may have been forces that went askew.

Post #219008028th Nov 2020 3:54 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As above^^^

Go back to your original thinking and source a Jag S type TDV6 Thumbs Up

That block is now very likely warped and beyond repair. Big Cry
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219008128th Nov 2020 4:02 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If block not warped then a F150 crank from the same size engine should fit.

Post #219009028th Nov 2020 9:45 am
garrycol

Australia 

The F150 did not have a 2.7 engine - the current have a 3.0 - different crankshaft.

Post #219010628th Nov 2020 11:30 am
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

OceanCarl,

I'd be very interested in pictures of the old crank at the failure point, i.e. looking end on to the face of each failure, if you were so inclined?

Interested if there are beach like signs of crack propagation and some kind of defect (porosity) at the crack initiation point.

Might be nothing to see if the two ends have rubbed and smeared the metal surfaces though.

Adrian
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #219011828th Nov 2020 12:58 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I dont think its very common on the 2.7 normally the bearings spin and cause the crank failure.

I had my block checked by my local machine shop before they carried out the rebore so didnt charge me.

Post #219013428th Nov 2020 2:11 pm
OceanCarl

Will off-course check that everyting is within its tolerances first, but thanks for the advices.
Considering a forged crank if I can source one out. Any experience with this?

None of the bearings have been spinning and there is no marks indicating the broken pieces has been grinded against each other. NO metal shavings anywhere. It has simply broken and instantly locked up the engine.

As there was no way, even with a 2 meter arm on the nut, to turn the engine, I had to hang it with the gearbox from the elephant and pull down the parts from the underside before I could turn it and access the TC bolts..

@Breg90 (and to anyone else with special interest Wink ): Enjoy the pics

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by OceanCarl on 29th Nov 2020 6:57 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #219030929th Nov 2020 6:04 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So, since you do not know the history of this engine... it can be a replacement engine/crankshaft? A cheapy? (Are there brand markings on the crank? ) “Overhauled” engine? Undersized big-end shells? Who did that? There are a lot of cowboys arround these day’s...

Bottom line, do you trust the quality of the rest of the engine?
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219031229th Nov 2020 6:27 pm
aja4x4

Thats an interesting fracture on the crank.

It could be its a Chinese copy was there any signs the engine has been rebuilt?

Post #219032529th Nov 2020 6:59 pm
OceanCarl

No worries Motolab, I have a fairly good idea of the history of the car - with all the service papers following and all. Most parts on the car and engine are original. The problem, probably, was with the previous owner really wanting a supercharged Sport. He had fitted (red) Brembo brakes in the front, A KCR tuning box and was sourcing 22" rims when the engine failed. I believe his right foot must have been pretty heavy on the throttle Laughing

Anyways, I'll take my chances and rebuild the engine. Engine parts needed are much easier to get hold on than a jag.engine from where I am situated.

Its a low-cost corona project from my end as I got the car really cheap and I am not dependent of this car (SWMBO has her own vehicle and my own RRS TDV8 is all good)

Actually playing with some thoughts of converting this one into something of a Overlander if I get its engine running. Not many RRS Ovelanders out there. I'm considering (I know many die hard RRS fans will kill me now) to rip out all items that has anything to do with the EAS and fit coils (with a lift). Maybe sourcing a static sway bar and get rid of the DSC. Have as little technical special gadgets on it as possible in order to make it less addictive to having a LR service shop in the vicinity. Mounting a winch, a roofrack, some extra lighting, big AT or MT tires and maybe even painting it with Raptor paint to make it "bulletproof" Razz -Please feel free to come with suggestions..

Dont get me wrong. EAS, DSC, Special Programs etc.. -I would never be without it on my own RRS TDV8. But I have had the TDV8 for eight years now and I know exactly what state its components are in and what to expect. And I am using the TDV8 for everything from cruising the highways in 140 to crawling up small forrest paths to distance cabins. So the LR "gadgets" together with this unique legend of a car brand makes it exactly the perfect vehicle for me with high comfort and still high manoeuvrability and capability of going anywhere. BUT: I would not go of grid and through Sahara with it. My old series III, yes, but not this one as there is too many gadgets with the potential to fail..

But back to the project, as it is a project.. Anything I do with it IS reversible if it turns out to be crap.. So why not..

Oh - and just realised this is the Disco3 forum and not the RRS forum, so sorry to all that feels I am in the wrong place now... I visited you, originally, because i feel there is a lot more DIY'ers here than on the RRS forum and a lot more experience with the TDV6.. So back to topic... Whistle

Post #219034229th Nov 2020 7:45 pm
OceanCarl

aja4x4 wrote:
It could be its a Chinese copy was there any signs the engine has been rebuilt?

-Its all original as far as I can tell. I've seen a lot of cracked casted parts back in the days I was in the metallurgical lab, as a student, testing material strength. This looks the same.. -Chinese copy - or Chinese original?? Rolling Eyes Laughing -Doesn't matter.. Out from an engineers perspective I find the design rather weak and is definitely something made in compromise with production cost, lightweight and a small footprint. I doubt this would have happened with a forged crank. -And reading about all the engines with spun bearings, I really do not understand why the engineers did not put in the "notch" in the Rods and bearings like it used to be..

Post #219034529th Nov 2020 7:58 pm
aja4x4

The 2.7 usually doesnt suffer with cracked cranks but its possible the tuning box was just too much for the standard crank or the program raised the rev limit

Post #219035529th Nov 2020 8:26 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I do not believe that a tuningbox can be mapped so, that it is too much for a 2.7l tdv6 regarding bhp and torque...

In a JAG the same engine has 245 BHP and those engines do not suffer from broken crankshafts.

Yes they weight less, but since the TDV8 3.6 is also a lion engine, basically the same crankshaft but longer, towing FFR etc. And with more torque and BHp than in the 6cyl.... and do also not break i do not believe that type of force is the problem...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219036329th Nov 2020 9:02 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That's an interesting observation Harold, as I have been running with a KCR box for a few years now.
Though I must confess, I'm not exactly comfortable with it being there, and would not advocate it's use to anyone.

It is helpful when towing, but beyond that I tend to keep a light right foot Laughing
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219036529th Nov 2020 9:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >