Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

FIXED! Cam pulley snapped! Not as bad as it could be!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

There is no chance that timing chain and sprocket replacement will restore the engine to good health. it seems that damage is already done, such that setting the timing and running the engine will not make matters worse - but it is a risk.

Based on info so far, an explanation would be broken chain jamming the o/s exhaust cam, resulting in breakage of already fractured sprocket.

If the engine will run it could provide useful information. Likely, n/s bank is ok, damaged valves o/s bank will cause uneven running, could confirm no other alarming noises or symptoms. Also maybe possible to drive the car a very short distance to more convenient position for o/s head replacement.
 Chris  
Post #219681228th Dec 2020 4:37 pm
garnerj

United Kingdom 2008 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Well, bad light stops play but here is my findings from today.

Getting the cam cover off is pretty straight forward and methodical! However, it’s a right pig when the car is half on and half off the kerb on the side of a main road! Especially with fat hands and arms like me. A decent selection of different socket sets is a great help.

It’s almost off but one pig of a boot left that I seem to be really struggling with. Yep, you guessed it! Rear middle! I was surprised at how nice and easy theinjectors cake off but like abs idiot I dropped one of the bolts so will have to fish that out tomorrow as well.

I had hoped to have it off to see the first stage of damage today but bad light is not the best with this task for sure.

Hopefully the rain will hold off tomorrow and I’ll be back on it tomorrow and have the cover off!
 2008 Disco3 2.7 Tdv6 HSE
2011 L322 Range Rover 4.4 Tdv8 Vogue SE
2002 P38 Range Rover 4.6 V8 Vogue Se 

Post #219683528th Dec 2020 5:44 pm
garnerj

Cheers Chris, I’m hoping that could be the way forward. To be honest, it will be drive on the trailer and let the indie do the head for me probably but my trailer doesn’t have a winch and it’s pretty sketchy trying to tow car on with my other motor so if I could get it to anoint to drive onto the trailer that would be awesome.

I’m learning quite a lot as I go which is great. Wish it was a little warmer out though!
 2008 Disco3 2.7 Tdv6 HSE

Post #219683628th Dec 2020 5:47 pm
garnerj

Well, not the finidngs that I wanted but also not really unexpected.

Took the top cover off to be greeted by a bolt missing from on the of the cam caps. Quickly found that sitting nearby but also managed to find a couple of rockers snapped as well.

So I suspect what may have happened is that the bolt worked loose and got stuck under a rocker which resulted in an already weakened pulley breaking (It clear that not all the breaks in this pulley are recent from looking at the variation of colour in the breaks.

The outcome is that at this point I feel like I have done as much as Im going to on the road outside my house. Popped into my local indie who I knew were closed on the off chance and they were around so had a quick chat with them.

Its already booked in for the 5th Jan with them so they are going to take over. Fiorst step will be to asses the damage and then replace and see how it goes before stripping the head. They have had a similar one before that is still running strong many years later without ever taking the head out so I may be lucky. His description was "despite what people may think, the bottom end is always good in our experience, and many times the head and valves too."

Its over to them now, thanks for all the support, suggestions and info over the past few days on this one, The good news is that when it does come back to me I would now be confident to tackle the timing belts and many other things that I would have not looked at before.

Cheers guys, I will update again once its been looked at again and we have her back on the road. I love the old girl like she is one of my own so whatever happens she will be repaired, if that means another engine then so be it but Id much rather save the one I have if I can. She has been a good servant to me so far and has many years left in her Im sure. Smile
 2008 Disco3 2.7 Tdv6 HSE

Post #219705429th Dec 2020 1:29 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

sometimes valves hitting piston will cause a bolt to come out.

however if the thread looks perfect, and will retighten in the hole, then its probably worked loose as you say

Post #219707429th Dec 2020 3:11 pm
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

This might give you hope (your car was part of Ford family)

I find his videos quite entertaining, although I am not remotely interested in Mondeos
 Chris  
Post #219709329th Dec 2020 3:54 pm
Kviasen

Norway 

Whats the odds that a bolt worked its way out jumped up and out of its somewhat long lining in the cap against gravity force and then worked its way under a valve lifter witch in turn caused an already weakened cam belt sprocket to shear all its structural casting points right of ?
A valve lifter alone vouldent be strong enough in the construction to shear of the sprocket, there has to be damage not yet discovered.
There is a test called cylinder leakage tester that can give a good indication of the situasion down in cylinders without removing head.

Post #219710629th Dec 2020 4:28 pm
garnerj

Interesting video. Although a little painful to watch!
Time will tell I guess but several people have said these engines are designed to break up top to save lower down so maybe that’s true. Will keep you posted. 😊
 2008 Disco3 2.7 Tdv6 HSE

Post #219715929th Dec 2020 6:40 pm
garnerj

Now back on the road

Well folks I thought that I would update you all on this one as its always nice to see the conclusion.

So after having a cam pulley snap and having varying opinions on the likely extent of the damage I really wanted the to believe the people that said it wont be catastrophic! IT WASNT!

Inlet manifolds off and not a great sight of snapper rockers etc! So what to do.

Straight to the local indie, who had it sitting for quite a while but did eventually get around to working on it and when they did turned it around very quickly. Thanks to Nic at the Discovery Doctors for offering to get it in for me, he lamost got it as well but at the 11th hour my local indie got it on the ramp!

A full set of rockers and lifters on both sides was all that was needed. Whoever it was that said these engines are designed to kill the rockers instead of the valves and pistons, in my case your right!

Im very happy with the outcome, I have aslight biot of hesitation when cold but suspect that will be fule or glow plug related so Ill start to do a bit of investigation into that one next but other than that its running as it should do and once warm its absolutely fine.

Just wanted to update the thread os if it happens to anyone else they dont think the worst and scrap the engine. It could have been so much worse and Im sure many other times it would have been but Im very glad mine turned out this was.
 2008 Disco3 2.7 Tdv6 HSE

Post #221007712th Feb 2021 4:11 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Great news, well done and thanks for the update!

One question, did you replace the timing chains and tensioners?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #221008412th Feb 2021 4:26 pm
garnerj

No, checked visually and all ok, decided to go minimalistic given the mileage abs general value of the car.
We were sure the cam pulley was the cause given the varying levels of direct on the breaks it was clear it happened over time. My indie had seen this happen before and when I spoke with Nic at discovery doctor’s he also said he had a similar one in a few weeks back too. All
With minimal damage and just rockers and lifters.
 2008 Disco3 2.7 Tdv6 HSE

Post #221010012th Feb 2021 5:13 pm
Jonnybez

Australia 

Same happened to my 3.0L
Idling in carpark, all of a sudden crunching noise.
Towed home and pulled covers off to find drivers side cam drive pulley snapped exactly the same.
Proceeded to pull drivers side intake cover off and found 7 snapped rockers

Mechaincs all say the same thing, “suspected piston and valve damage, need to replace engine” upwards of $10k

At this point after reading the thread i am highly considering ordering the parts and installing myself

Post #227582530th Jan 2022 6:36 am
Jonnybez

Australia 

Pics

Post #227582630th Jan 2022 6:47 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In theory you should be able to do a pressure test on the valves if you make an airline adaptor to go down the injector hole. If you put airline pressure into the cylinders you will feel the air escaping though the inlet ports and hear it if its leaking through the exhaust.
I used to have a spark plug adaptor that worked well on petrol engines
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #227583030th Jan 2022 9:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >