Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

I need help. Car won’t run
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

looks like a problem with your brown/green wire to me
But like you, electrics are my nemesis

Post #216350226th Jul 2020 11:29 am
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Aaahhhhh!!!! Now I undersrand. There is no problem with the rail pressure sensor. 251 bar at idle and 1138 bar on road is all OK! You can delete the N/A reading out of your mind. This maybe is a software problem in your tool. I do not have this live value on my IID tool. Only the pressure reading. And if this is on display, all is OK with the sensor.

Post #216350526th Jul 2020 11:46 am
wedgev8

Some weeks ago, I had a fault in the connector on the rail pressure sensor. I looked to the graph of the rail pressure while idling and have seen the pressure jumping up to 2000bar when I wiggle at the connector. So I baught a new connector and layed a few cm of new wires. Since then all is good.

Post #216350726th Jul 2020 11:56 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Discomadness wrote:
I totally agree. I don’t know what it is about the discovery. I was the same with my D1. I spent a fortune and thousands of hours cutting out the rot and keeping it going when most would have given up.
I’m the same with this D3. I think most would have given up but I’m determined it’s not going to beat me. I just need some help with the electronic diagnosis and I really thank guys like you and gstuart, disco Mikey etc for spending the time to help me.
I’ll be heading down the garage for about 9am in the morning, the internet is a bit spotty but if you could give me a direction to start in then I’ll report any and all info. Thumbs Up

Hi Jarrod

I don’t know, can’t leave u for 5 x minutes before breaking it Whistle Rolling with laughter

Hope this finds u well

Found some of the ECM/ fuel rail pressure wiring for u, just in case it’s of some use

Sounds really daft , but as u swapped the fuel rail pressure sensor over I wonder if u have to do a hard reset , as wondering then if the ecm then knows it’s not using default settings

Alas know Prof G is vastly more knowledgeable than myself and will soon be able to advise if it would make any difference regarding a hard reset

Also assume the hole that the sensor goes into the rail isn’t blocked

As always will help all I can, without of course stepping on anyone’s toes, lol

See theres a fuel rail temperature sensor , wonder ref canbus can easily tell u what PIN number to check, but alas don’t know if it will show anything but happy to let u know if u wish to try , but at the end of the day don’t want to be disrespectful in any way by steeping on more experienced toes

Hope it helps

Ps, copied ur test results here for u, so thought then easier to look at the wiring diagrams as well

Test results.

12.3v

Voltage on
White/green 4.9v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 4.9v

Voltage off
White/green 0v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 0v

Continuity ign off
White/green o/l
Brown/green beep .015
Yellow/green o/l

Continuity short
W/g-br/g nothing
Br/g-y/g nothing
W/g-y/g nothing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #216350826th Jul 2020 12:00 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

wedgev8 wrote:
Aaahhhhh!!!! Now I undersrand. There is no problem with the rail pressure sensor. 251 bar at idle and 1138 bar on road is all OK! You can delete the N/A reading out of your mind. This maybe is a software problem in your tool. I do not have this live value on my IID tool. Only the pressure reading. And if this is on display, all is OK with the sensor.

I just checked with my fathers launch tool and it is reading rail pressure. 24040kpa at idle so looks like the iid isn’t reading it. Rolling Eyes
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #216351626th Jul 2020 12:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discomadness

gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
I totally agree. I don’t know what it is about the discovery. I was the same with my D1. I spent a fortune and thousands of hours cutting out the rot and keeping it going when most would have given up.
I’m the same with this D3. I think most would have given up but I’m determined it’s not going to beat me. I just need some help with the electronic diagnosis and I really thank guys like you and gstuart, disco Mikey etc for spending the time to help me.
I’ll be heading down the garage for about 9am in the morning, the internet is a bit spotty but if you could give me a direction to start in then I’ll report any and all info. Thumbs Up

Hi Jarrod

I don’t know, can’t leave u for 5 x minutes before breaking it Whistle Rolling with laughter

Hope this finds u well

Found some of the ECM/ fuel rail pressure wiring for u, just in case it’s of some use

Sounds really daft , but as u swapped the fuel rail pressure sensor over I wonder if u have to do a hard reset , as wondering then if the ecm then knows it’s not using default settings

Alas know Prof G is vastly more knowledgeable than myself and will soon be able to advise if it would make any difference regarding a hard reset

See theres a fuel rail temperature sensor , wonder ref canbus can easily tell u what PIN number to check, but alas don’t know if it will show anything but happy to let u know if u wish to try , but at the end of the day don’t want to be disrespectful in any way by steeping on more experienced toes

Hope it helps

Ps, copied ur test results here for u, so thought then easier to look at the wiring diagrams as well

Test results.

12.3v

Voltage on
White/green 4.9v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 4.9v

Voltage off
White/green 0v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 0v

Continuity ign off
White/green o/l
Brown/green beep .015
Yellow/green o/l

Continuity short
W/g-br/g nothing
Br/g-y/g nothing
W/g-y/g nothing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hiya buddy ! Long time no speak.
Thankyou for the info. I’m still at a loss. I’ve continuity checked all the injector wiring and the stuff proff said about. Turns out the rail pressure sensor is reading but the iid isn’t reading it. Maybe I need to contact gap or check the software. Admittedly I haven’t updated it since I’ve had it.
Hope all is well with you buddy. How’s your back now ?
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216351726th Jul 2020 12:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wedgev8

Jarrod, why do you think your iid isn't reading the pressure sensor?
When you look to your both screenshots you can see the fuel pressure is displayed left from the N/A.
And this is the live value from the fuel rail pressure sensor.

Post #216352626th Jul 2020 1:24 pm
Discomadness

Perhaps I’m getting confused. The fuel pressure I thought was the sensor on the hpfp and the rail pressure was the sensor on the end of the left hand fuel rail ?
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216352926th Jul 2020 1:32 pm
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:

Hi Jarrod

Hope this finds u well

Hope it helps

Test results.

12.3v

Voltage on
White/green 4.9v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 4.9v

Voltage off
White/green 0v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 0v

Continuity ign off
White/green o/l
Brown/green beep .015
Yellow/green o/l

Continuity short
W/g-br/g nothing
Br/g-y/g nothing
W/g-y/g nothing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hiya buddy ! Long time no speak.
Thankyou for the info. I’m still at a loss. I’ve continuity checked all the injector wiring and the stuff proff said about. Turns out the rail pressure sensor is reading but the iid isn’t reading it. Maybe I need to contact gap or check the software. Admittedly I haven’t updated it since I’ve had it.
Hope all is well with you buddy. How’s your back now ?

Hi mate

Indeed , long time no speak, always the way when ur busy and time flies by

Just wondering ref the NA, assume that should read 5Vdc but as mentioned is reading the fuel pressure but not the voltage

There has been some updates for the iid so as u say might just need an update , particular if another one reads it

Will be Interesting to see what it says after an update

Also please let me know ref canbus , just need a multimeter for that and can tell u what pins u need to test , at least it will tell u if there’s any issues in the modules

Many thks, alas my back has been a real nightmare, have been seriously struggling as every time I try to remove my wheel to replace my brake hoses or drain and fill new ATF fluid my back pain level goes through the roof so forced to stop, drives me insane , got to try and think of something to try and get round it

Also started to sand down, paint some tubular rock sliders

Fingers crossed can get to the bottom of the issue on ur disco Thumbs Up

Post #216353026th Jul 2020 1:38 pm
Discomadness

Mate that sounds awful ref your back. I hope you can get something sorted soon.

Yes please ref canbus. At this point it’s worth checking everything I think.

How do I update the iid tool ?
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216353126th Jul 2020 1:46 pm
gstuart

Thks mate , alas after multiple surgeries no more can be done without the risk of making it even worse, so decided to leave it as is, alas feel very lucky as I know there are many who are worse off so count my blessings

Still bugging me why the iid can’t read that , u can update ur iid via ur laptop , nest to send Pat at gap an email so u know 100% what the latest update is u less someone else knows what version is the current one

Wondering if a hard reset as well might help ??

So canbus , here goes

Both battery leads disconnected

With a multimeter set to ohms , TL stands for test lead , easier then, lol

TL on pin 6 other TL on pin 14 , should get an ohms reading

TL on pin 3 other TL on pin 11 , same again should get an ohms reading

Reconnect battery , but could do a hard reset before reconnecting if u wished to

Set multimeter to Vdc

TL pin 16 other TL pin 4 , should get a volts reading
TL pin 16 other TL to pin 5 , should get a volts reading

TL pin 6 other TL pin 4 , keeping the lead in pin 6 move the TL to pin 5 , should get volts , 2 x results

TL pin 14 other TL pin 4 , then same again, keep TL on pin 14 and move the other TL to pin 5 , same again would get volts , so 2 x results

Hope that at least helps and please let us know what u find and I haven’t confused matters

Must admit I bought a canbus box to make life easier testing , also a Half decent test light

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 26th Jul 2020 2:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #216353726th Jul 2020 2:09 pm
wedgev8

Discomadness wrote:
Perhaps I’m getting confused. The fuel pressure I thought was the sensor on the hpfp and the rail pressure was the sensor on the end of the left hand fuel rail ?

At the HPFP you will only find the fuel pressure control valve PCV and the fuel volume control valve VCV.
These are valves , so actors in the fuel system. The pressure is only measured with the fuel rail pressure sensor located at the rail tube. And this is the live value you can see in your Screenshots.

Post #216353826th Jul 2020 2:09 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Discomadness wrote:
Test results.

12.3v

Voltage on
White/green 4.9v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 4.9v

Voltage off
White/green 0v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 0v

Continuity ign off
White/green o/l
Brown/green beep .015
Yellow/green o/l

Continuity short
W/g-br/g nothing
Br/g-y/g nothing
W/g-y/g nothing

Added photos of the fluke to show settings used.

OK, this is going to be long so bear with me! Presumably the 12.3v is what you have at the battery before you began? If so it's a bit low but that's for another fight.

What interests me is the results you found the four tests. It is possible your DMM will have operational differences to my own, but either way the readings you have are not what I expected to see.

So we need to go back and do some further testing to either find the same results, or declare a fault in the wiring. What I am expecting to see from your test 3. was:

YG - 365
Br/G - 000 (ie no resistance so your earth is good)
W/G - 1810

And from test 4.

Br/G + Y/G = 366
Br/G + W/G = 1810
Y/G + W/G = 1834

So you can see from the above results there is some resistance between the wires which we can say is traced to their respective locations in the ECM. If I was seeing 000 in these tests it indicates there is "no resistance", in other words the two non earth cables are in contact with each other!! Now this may be just down to your DMM settings, but I suspect there is a short in one of these wires.

The other factor in my thinking is the result in test 1. Br/G 0v is correct as it's the earth, but I'm suspect of the 4.9v on BOTH Y/G & W/G. If we accept Br/G as earth, then one of the other two cables provides the power signal to the FRPS @ 4.9v. The remaining wire is the return signal to the ECM and can't have the same value unless the cables are in contact with each other! The one caveat to this may be that the 4.9v on both is a default position until the engine starts, but this can be confirmed or dismissed by running the engine and testing those two again.(you did do the test with the plug off? Very Happy )

So you will need to move the DMM to the Ohms setting and hopefully you will get the same results as your first tests confirming what I think is a short between Y/G & W/G causing unexpected voltage spike back to the ECM, and triggering P0193 FRPS high input.

Now this is my hypothesis and I may well be wrong, but the results tell me otherwise.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216354526th Jul 2020 3:30 pm
Discomadness

Hi prof.
Ok retested. Here’s the figures. Didn’t realise my fluke auto ranges.

12.54v
Engine warm

Voltage on
White/green 4.9v
Brown/green 0.018
Yellow/green 5.0v

Voltage off
White/green 0v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 0v

Continuity ign off
White/green 1.383
Brown/green beep .000
Yellow/green .190

Continuity short
W/g-br/g 1.384
Br/g-y/g nothing .189
W/g-y/g nothing 1.422
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216357026th Jul 2020 5:54 pm
gstuart

Hiya den

Respect my friend and can I say that lot went over my head Big Cry

Took a screen shot if that’s ok so can try and read it a few more million times to see if it clicks Thumbs Up

Really like learning new things , hats off to u mate as always with ur expertise Bow down

Post #216357226th Jul 2020 5:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >