Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

I need help. Car won’t run
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I’m back home now and left the car in the garage so I’ll do the checks tomorrow. I’ve got a fluke multimeter and do some fault finding on boilers so have a fair idea of checking resistance etc but would great fully receive layman’s instructions one what to do ! Bow down
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #216340225th Jul 2020 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discomadness

Just noticed. The fuel rail pressure sensor has been reading N/A since I had the iid tool. Also give or take injector 1 has always been over 1300 and injector 6 the lowest. This is no matter what I do. Swap them around, fit new ones, fit second hand ones. Frustrating.

Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216340525th Jul 2020 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yeah tomorrow is another day and we'll go through the continuity / resistance when you're back at the car. If your Fluke have a sound buzzer for continuity checks that will make it easier for you. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216340625th Jul 2020 9:26 pm
Discomadness

It does have the beep for continuity. I’ll get down there first thing and get to it. Thanks buddy. This is bugging the life out of me. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216340925th Jul 2020 9:31 pm
PROFSR G

Just seeing those live values now and they are well outside spec on a couple of cylinders.

Let's deal with the current dtc issue first and we'll see it it can influence those figures. I'm surprised though you are not getting codes for the injectors with those readings.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216341025th Jul 2020 9:34 pm
Discomadness

That’s what’s doing my head in. Occasionally I get a fault code for an injector. On cold startup it’s lumpy and smokey. Once it’s hot it settles down and no smoke. I suppose I should do a compression test to rule out a bent rod.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with the electronic diagnosis. I just need to get to the bottom of this once and for all. I have way too much money invested to give up. Plus it’s the love. I don’t want to give up on the car.
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216341225th Jul 2020 9:41 pm
PROFSR G

Yeah I understand that all too well Jarrod, and anyone reading your previous threads can see you have put a lot of work and cash into it. Some of us really love these cars, and, some of us enjoy the challenges they present Whistle

However, it's not easy to diagnose faults at such a remove when you can't actually see and touch the problem. Happy to give it my best though, I do love a challenge Very Happy Thumbs Up

Ever tried. Ever failed, No matter. Try again, Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216341925th Jul 2020 10:29 pm
Discomadness

I totally agree. I don’t know what it is about the discovery. I was the same with my D1. I spent a fortune and thousands of hours cutting out the rot and keeping it going when most would have given up.
I’m the same with this D3. I think most would have given up but I’m determined it’s not going to beat me. I just need some help with the electronic diagnosis and I really thank guys like you and gstuart, disco Mikey etc for spending the time to help me.
I’ll be heading down the garage for about 9am in the morning, the internet is a bit spotty but if you could give me a direction to start in then I’ll report any and all info. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216342325th Jul 2020 10:48 pm
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello Jarrod. Would you please took your IID Tool on a test drive and monitor 2 important live values.
Please monitor "internal voltage 1 (A)" and "internal voltage 2 (B)" by showing in the graph function of the tool. You will find those in the engine live values.
Both values should read a propper 5V signal when ignition is on and while driving the car. Important is to view the live graph at the moment of misfire. I want to know If there is a spike or a voltage dip. And I hope it is.
Let us know....

Post #216343025th Jul 2020 11:55 pm
PROFSR G

OK so you need to check the signal values from the ECM as per my earlier post and record them carefully as four separate tests.

Test 1. Voltage present - ign on
With the ign on, set the Fluke to 20v (or as near to 12v) place the neg black probe on the batt neg terminal and test the signals present at the three terminals of the FRPS plug. Record the values against each cable/colour/ then turn off the ignition.
Test 2. Voltage present - ign off
Repeat as above this time with the ign off, again recording your findings against each of the three colour wires in the plug.
Test 3. Continuity via ECM
Next and still with the ign off set your Fluke to "continuity" (the buzzer should sound when you bring the probes together) and the screen should read 000 in so doing.
Place the black earth probe on the batt neg terminal, and the red pos probe on Y/G in the FRPS plug and record the displayed value. Do the same for Br/G, and again for W/G. (Br/G might cause the buzzer to sound as I think this is a ground via the ECM)
Test 4. Continuity/short between FRPS wires.
This time place the neg probe on Br/G and the pos probe on W/G and record the value displayed. Next do the same for Br/G & Y/G, and finally W/G & Y/G.

Do it exactly as described above and post the results back here for each separate test, or PM me if you prefer. These are very simple and quick tests but should yield a result if there is an issue with the wiring from the ECM to the FRPS. I'm delivering a car in the morning but should be back around lunchtime. Have fun Very Happy
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216343426th Jul 2020 12:32 am
Discomadness

Test results.

12.3v

Voltage on
White/green 4.9v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 4.9v

Voltage off
White/green 0v
Brown/green 0v
Yellow/green 0v

Continuity ign off
White/green o/l
Brown/green beep .015
Yellow/green o/l

Continuity short
W/g-br/g nothing
Br/g-y/g nothing
W/g-y/g nothing

Added photos of the fluke to show settings used.

Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216346426th Jul 2020 9:10 am
Discomadness

wedgev8 wrote:
Hello Jarrod. Would you please took your IID Tool on a test drive and monitor 2 important live values.
Please monitor "internal voltage 1 (A)" and "internal voltage 2 (B)" by showing in the graph function of the tool. You will find those in the engine live values.
Both values should read a propper 5V signal when ignition is on and while driving the car. Important is to view the live graph at the moment of misfire. I want to know If there is a spike or a voltage dip. And I hope it is.
Let us know....

Voltage 1 fluctuates between 4.98 & 5v
Voltage 2 stays at 5v

Car didn’t misfire on road test at all.
Changed injector 6 last night back over so suspect it’s either got rid of the faulty one or won’t reoccur until it’s reprogrammed itself.
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216346526th Jul 2020 9:20 am
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This sounds good. Do you have allready N/A on the live value for the railpressure?

Post #216347326th Jul 2020 9:49 am
Discomadness

Yes still reads N/A Big Cry
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216347526th Jul 2020 9:53 am
Discomadness

Some other live data for info. At idle and under load at around 70mph
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #216349326th Jul 2020 10:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >