Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 3 caravan towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Shiny Silver

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Has anybody had good or bad experiences towing a single axle

Yes, I've looked in the rear view mirror and jumped. because I've forgotten its there!!!! Laughing Laughing

Post #26112218th Feb 2008 10:49 pm
MX

United Kingdom 

Towed my old single axle Pageant Vendee all over Europe without a hitch for 2 summers, and last year bought a twin axle Senator Louisiana which tows just the same. From a stability perspective it is absolutely rock solid all the time.....never missed a beat and only ever overtaken by one other outfit (another D3 with a small caravan!) Smile

I am amazed that there is no difference in fuel consumption despite the increased weight although my only disappointment is the poor economy when towing.

Post #26123419th Feb 2008 9:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dexter

Scotland 

I towed my single axle tintent for the first time with the D3 this weekend - absolutely perfect and very impressive. Previoulsy towed with an xtRAIL wtbh was also very good but the Disco has more power, torque and self levelling suspension which all improves. I've also towed with a TD5 ES which had ACE and I never experienced any problems whatsoever, apart from the auto box used to throw up an overheat warning from time to time Yawn

This weekend we pick up our twin axle 'van and I can't wait to get away for a few nights.

Roll on the Spring !

Dexter

Post #26123719th Feb 2008 9:59 am
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have towed for 25 years laterly with a range rover, shogun, two isuzus and my last car before the D3 was a TD5 xs, with both air suspension, ace and self levelling rear suspension. I used this for 5 years.

Whilst i never had an issue with the TD5 the D3 is in another league. I;ve increased the size and weight of my van and you dont know its there - its so stable.

I have read what the others have posted about the TD5. As I said I never had a problem but have read various theories and have come to the conclusion that its the hitch height thats critical. Ive seen so many towing nose up because the rear suspension compensates for the nose weight of the van.

Mine was fitted with the adjustable tow hitch and I had to have it on the lowest setting to get the ride level.

You'll have no problems with the D3.

Post #26190520th Feb 2008 5:18 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I pull an Avondale Rialto, I found the hitch height to be lower than other van's I have had, and for this reason I brought a multi towbar, to which I can fit a drop plate.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #26200920th Feb 2008 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discolaw

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have towed with
Series 2 Station Wagon
Saab 900
Disco1, Disco 2, Volvo XC70

all with the same Caravan 1972 Cheltenham, Disco 3 the best by far, other Discos pretty good, never felt the cars were quite there.
Now forget its on the back, shortened journey times!

Post #26204820th Feb 2008 10:52 pm
Damm R

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Discovery 3 " Proberbly the best towing vehicle in the world!!!!" Thumbs Up
The only issues that I have had is when the wife forgets the flask. Rolling with laughter

Andy, do you engage low range when reversing with weight on the trailer? It may help
 Don't wait for your ship to come in,
swim out and meet the bl**dy thing. 

Post #26285122nd Feb 2008 12:46 pm
al cope

England 

tip - low speed manouvering with manual D3 ALWAYS engage low. had mine stinking the place out first few times i used it with the 'van on the back. Never use high now when doing very low speed stuff.

D2 stability issue was only ever seen on early rear airsprung models (with or without ACE). I had two D2's, both with air, and never had a issue. Great tow cars, but D3 - FANTASTIC.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #26285822nd Feb 2008 1:07 pm
CG

By stinking I taking you mean the clutch. Is this a big issue with Manual D3 when towing ?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #26286222nd Feb 2008 1:11 pm
al cope

England 

yep, stinking clutch (not me - I think Shocked ) - but only at manouvering speeds with the 'van on the back. Mines even had the uprated clutch fitted, but I dont risk it now, I always engage low when shifting the 'van around.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #26286422nd Feb 2008 1:16 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I endorse what is said about the D3 auto being an excellent vehicle for towing a caravan. My van is 1700kg and stability wise, including pitching control it’s the best I have known in a lifetime of towing, various trailers much with Defenders. I have towed with loaner D2's from their early days up to the run-out models; and I did not feel comfortable with the air suspension ones.

Concerning the manual; I was advised by the dealer to really seriously consider the auto because I towed a lot; and me previously very much a manual fan. However if you read the Handbook it gives some seemingly guarded advice on towing with a manual as if they were frighted on the fragility of the clutch. “Moving off in low ratio if towing a caravan” if I recall correctly, anyway words that they don’t use in the Defender book.
I like the auto very much towing although I know it’s wasting more fuel; the only slight issue is the lost of a bit of precision in creeping when on very soft surfaces. Using both feet on the controls can eliminate this, but is an acquired skill.

Post #26288322nd Feb 2008 2:04 pm
CG

I haven't got the handbook here, up to what speed can up shift from low to high ?

Post #26290822nd Feb 2008 2:47 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I agree wholeheartedly with all those who say the D3 is the best towing vehicle in the world.

I would add though that the auto version is probably THE best. Low speed maneuvering is a doddle if you put the gearbox in low range first. You hardly need to use the throttle, even up hill. I went on a caravan maneuvering course not long after first getting the D3 and there was a guy there with a big manual gearbox Jeep who really struggled to control his outfit, mainly because his clutch/throttle control was so crap. Eventually, after 4 unsuccessful attempts at reverse parking a caravan using his Jeep, I invited him to try using the D3 and guess what - he did it first time!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #26292222nd Feb 2008 3:15 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

shiny moose wrote:
I haven't got the handbook here, up to what speed can up shift from low to high ?

From my 2007 handbook:
Changing from Low to High
With the vehicle travelling no faster than
60 km/h (38 mph), select N or neutral. Press
the front of the transfer gear switch to the Hi
position and release it.
Indication of the range change status is the
same as for the stationary method.
Now select D or the most appropriate manual
gear for the vehicle speed.

Post #26301722nd Feb 2008 6:05 pm
CG

Thumbs Up

Post #26304522nd Feb 2008 7:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >