Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Is "4x4 Australia" mag biased towards Toyota or wh
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Is "4x4 Australia" mag biased towards Toyota or wh

This article in the June edition compares the petrol V6 D3 with the V8 Lc200 and the Pootrol (why??). Regardless the D3 comes up trumps (again!) but I couldn't understand the closing comments by the editor. "the D3 has better interior packaging, sophisticated traction control, better handling, better value, the most rewarding 4x4 to drive..." and the sums up by saying..

" So if you were concerned about economy (Lc200 15.3l/100km vs D3 15.6l/100km) or power, or availability of rural dealers, then you would certainly prefer the LandCruiser"... Sure if you are a twit!!! or a biased Toybota Fu#$kwit maybe... Twisted Evil

article...
Click image to enlarge
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #2946672nd May 2008 1:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Comes down to Money SMH DriveL is the same very pro Toyota. Nothing to Do with the full wrap around Toyota ad cove the cover this week. Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2946782nd May 2008 1:26 pm
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Nah, I would say the opposite............4x4 Australia ranks LR very highly, just look at the 2008 4x4 OTY awards they had LR first (RRS TDV8), second (DEF 110) and fourth (RR Vogue TDV8)!!

Think of it this way............perhaps just to give the others a fighting chance against the D3, they need to level the playing field by selecting not entirely the appropriate test vehicle in the first place. Laughing

Now, on the other hand, those Toyo lovers over at Overlander mag.......... Evil or Very Mad
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #2950393rd May 2008 12:39 pm
mobyone

Baggy, I didn't realise about Overlander Mag's bias until yesterday when I noticed a Yoyota add in Drive(l) section of The Age,

"The Earth's greatest 4WD Back in stock now!" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I think the word "earth" also makes a connection with primitive man...

No prizes for working out why they couldn't use " The world's greatest 4WD... " Whistle Whistle Whistle

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #2952154th May 2008 1:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Drive cosy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Is "Australia" biased towards Toyota or what

Fixed the title for you, mobyone. Wink

How else could you explain the Corolla being the best selling car in Oz???? Confused Sad

A Landcruiser is the only model Toyota I would even contemplate parking in my driveway. Don't get me started on the evils of the poxy appliance known as a camry. Twisted Evil

Glad to see a test of the petrol V6 at last, bit sick of reading about how good the TDV6 is... Laughing

Post #2957196th May 2008 7:10 am
Neil Pettersen

Drive cosy wrote:
Corolla being the best selling car in Oz.... poxy appliance known as a camry.

Toyota has worked its way into the Australian psyche very well over the years.
This has been done on the back of reliability, garage availability and cost of repair parts.

Now that it's attempting to improve its profit margin,the problems will begin.....but folk are slow to change Rolling Eyes

Honda and Mazda are making some interesting vehicles now......with much more style,and also reliable.

Camry private sales are to people who want large,but not expensive...it just has no class.

Corolla sales amaze me.....they are influenced by parental and male opinion towards female
purchasers who have no preference for model. Out of 8 people I know of who have bought one,
they all fit this category. Exclamation

Post #2957266th May 2008 7:53 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Miobyone:
From your original post:"...or availability of rural dealers, then you would certainly prefer the LandCruiser..."; then the author is absolutely correct.
On the east coast I'm sure there are dealers and support just down the road. In WA, there are 2 dealers in Perth Rolling Eyes 0ne 400 k south of Perth, and a service point in Broome 2100k north. For those of us in the Pilbara, that means a 1600k trip south, or a 1000 odysee north. Toyota on the other hand are well serviced if not by dealers, then by anyone who can wheel a spanner.
Its the old holden/ ford Vs the rest in the country...be anything that is different is all too hard for simple folk.
Tony

Post #2957356th May 2008 8:08 am
Aedo

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

wopac5 wrote:
Miobyone:
From your original post:"...or availability of rural dealers, then you would certainly prefer the LandCruiser..."; then the author is absolutely correct.
On the east coast I'm sure there are dealers and support just down the road. In WA, there are 2 dealers in Perth Rolling Eyes 0ne 400 k south of Perth, and a service point in Broome 2100k north. For those of us in the Pilbara, that means a 1600k trip south, or a 1000 odysee north. Toyota on the other hand are well serviced if not by dealers, then by anyone who can wheel a spanner.
Its the old holden/ ford Vs the rest in the country...be anything that is different is all too hard for simple folk.
Tony

Yep... love my D3 and thought what a good work vehicle it would be (supported by defenders) - but lack of dealer support in the outback where I need it simply eliminates the LR from contention. Reduces the options to Toyota or Toyota

Post #2957716th May 2008 9:14 am
mobyone

point taken about the serviceability in godforsaken places that only minority will venture. Perhaps we should put in slightly more perspective...

How many D3 owners will venture to a place that LR assist or any other "help" will NOT go? possibly aint may places like this and possbly aint that many D3 or LC owners who may go to these places. I still think that based on the positives for each vehicle stated in the conclusion and the number of owners who may find themselves in these remote situations the outcome should still favour the D3.

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #2958216th May 2008 11:31 am
littlecub53

Australia 

Heard today on the radio that the latest hiflux is australia's top selling vehicle. Yawn
I think it was for the motnh of March,but dont quote me.... 8)

Post #2958266th May 2008 11:38 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

mobyone,
If you're not going where god has forsaken...why buy the thing in the first place?
The whole point is to get thouroughly lost (albeit in a little luxury), and still have access to parts and service when required. At this Toymotors exceed simply because they have set up support for their customers.
Servicing and parts are generally simple tasks and CAN be performed locally, it's when the sh*t's in the fan that support matters.
Tony

Post #2958426th May 2008 12:36 pm
mobyone

Tony, I take your point but for one to get thouroughly lost in WAustralia means being about 1000kms from the nearest pub Shocked ... Bow down Bow down & I do take my hat off to you blokes

For me, I like to venture off road and still be within 2-3 hrs of civilisation (pretty much anywhere in Australia except WA). Isn't that where the majority of 4WD owners fit?? (all over the world? hence my arguement over the article)

I'd love to get to WA one day, but the sheer expanse of land between the ocean over there and here means that I'll have to wait until my kids are older... Thumbs Up

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #2958506th May 2008 1:03 pm
catweasel

mobyone wrote:
point taken about the serviceability in godforsaken places that only minority will venture. Perhaps we should put in slightly more perspective...
here's my perspective. if my D3 broke down on my driveway and needed dealer intervention then it would have to be carted some 400 kms. this is in a town with 18-20 thousand people not the middle of nowhere. dealership representation is severely lacking and how many in the RAA, NRMA,RACV or the RACQ have the ability to repair, fix the D3 roadside, probably none. their point is valid IMO  
Post #2958636th May 2008 2:05 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

OK this may stir up the conservation,
Sure Landys have problems, but most wont stop you.
Tojo does not seem to have much in the way of trouble, pretty reliable but when something goes wrong its big.
To sum up, all vechles will have issues that may need a bush repair, we just have to deal with it or we would not go aneywhere.
I will keep driving my Landys and my 22 yo Tojo.

Rob

Post #2960537th May 2008 4:11 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

And try getting somethings fixed under warranty with a Tojo is a real fight. Shocked

Toyota rely on most coughing up and it makes it look like they are more reliable if it is the customers fault. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2960597th May 2008 5:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >