Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Squealing noise from car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Squealing noise from car

Hi gang.. just back from a round trip Brisbane to Rockhampton. Filled up with 98 premium and best fuel consumption ever... 24 mpg.

However... have a squealing noise from the back of the car at low speeds (as in parking speeds).. is this the dreaded EPB fault? If so, what is the cause and what is the cure?

Cheers

Mark T
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #26084218th Feb 2008 12:36 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Sounds like the EPB, I have had it as well. It probably needs adjusting or cleaning.

Sometimes by applying it and releasing it, it will unstick.

Post #26085518th Feb 2008 1:10 pm
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Well.. I got the Disco back today and the dealer had cleaned out the sand and crap from the park brake drum.. then adjusted it. They suggested I have it cleaned everytime I go off road... thought Land Rovers could go anywhere..

Cheers

Mark T
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #26398125th Feb 2008 10:44 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

MarkTaylor wrote:
Well.. I got the Disco back today and the dealer had cleaned out the sand and crap from the park brake drum.. then adjusted it. They suggested I have it cleaned everytime I go off road... thought Land Rovers could go anywhere..

Cheers

Mark T

They can, Mark (well almost) just don't take the handbrake Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #26426425th Feb 2008 8:31 pm
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or do bring the handbrake along and put up with the squealing Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Don't you just love double entendres?

Cheers

Post #26441126th Feb 2008 4:36 am
George II

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi, I'm new to the group but have followed a few of the items for a while. I have a SHIMMING type noise constantly, has been there for about the last 5000kms, you notice it when you take your foot off the go pedal & especially at low speeds. Is this a Hand Brake noise ? Noticed it after Xmas when we had done a bit of heavy beach driving at Bremer Bay. Took it to the dealer & one of the mechanics took it for a drive & talked about the disc pads etc, but obviously had no idea. Then I noticed all these posts about EPB noises.
Be nice to be able to go to the dealer & tell them what to fix.
Thanks Roger
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #2968849th May 2008 3:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d34me

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

I also had a squeeling every time I tried the handbrake. It would't engage. Every time I went to engage it, I forgot there was a problem, and I really drew attention to myself. It was LOUD! Had it replaced under warranty. Everything seems to be alright now.
 Disco 3, Gold TDV6 HSE, rear e diff, kaymar rear bar, ARB bullbar with front parking sensors, Warn winch, 110L auxiliary tank, dual battery, GME UHF, Lightforce spotties, Cooper ST's, LR snorkel, Expedition roof rack.  
Post #2968919th May 2008 4:57 am
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

well, i had the park brake squeal since late last year and my dealer would say that is required adjusting. So I continually visited the service centre getting it readjusted so that it wouldn't squeal. it would happen now and then, but was kind of embarrassing when it did (especially in indoor carparks!)
so, i was happily relocating house from oatley to shell cove and heading south on the F6 freeway doing 110km/h when i felt a slight drop in power. since it was windy, i didn't think much of it and just pressed on. next thing i know a landcruiser trooper passes me and starts pointing at the car. i pull over just after the picton exit and there is a smell. i go around the back and my left rear is full of smoke. after i get my son out of the car and put him in the wife's audi, i called my trusty dealer. told him what's happen and says that i'm the first he has heard of it. the car wouldn't roll back in neutral and had to keep engaging/dis-engaging the park brake before it finally let go. i drove all the way down to shell cove and then had the land rover road side come see the car then organise to tow it to southern classic cars. craig down there got the parts replaced and never had a problem since (2 weeks ago now). no squealing at all (knock on wood).
so, if ur park brake is squealing, don't take the "it just needs adjusting every service" as the answer.

bashir.
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #2969159th May 2008 7:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >