Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Former JAG engine, now LR engine and gearbox almost ready to fit

And
Re married the parts, body and chassis!

And it runs, smooth!
Will add tomorrow a short video of it running....
update 04042020: as promised

FIRST start VIDEO

and look like a D3 again
[/url]
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Last edited by Motolab on 4th Apr 2020 12:04 pm. Edited 12 times in total 
Post #21341912nd Apr 2020 7:24 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

That last bit was quick Thumbs Up

Post #21341982nd Apr 2020 7:40 pm
Motolab

You are right Pete...
I did forget a few pictures in my enthusiasm Embarassed

Added a few other pictures to make look it more logic Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21342772nd Apr 2020 10:09 pm
Motolab

And on my driveway again, runs very smooth!

Autobox is also due too new oil and filter and torque converter silky smooth again..

I will take it this weekend for a longer test drive and then plug in the IID we will se what happens
 Best regards
Harold

Post #21345463rd Apr 2020 8:05 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #21345483rd Apr 2020 8:06 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Amazing effort...! And even more so for a first attempt, takes guts..!

It would be good to know the total spend for future buyers needing to do this.

Post #21345533rd Apr 2020 8:14 pm
Motolab

@G3Z

Thanks!

but regarding the Guts.... not really i use to think Wink just do it... it is only a Motor, with nuts and bolts, some electrical plugs, etc..

the more difficult part in my opinion is a proper lift and time....

and both a lift and time is maybe a thing you have to hire. these prices /pounds are a variable who can make a big difference... what can you do yourself (or not)?

earyler in this topic i made a list what is needed in the case of the type of JAG engine i bought (S-type till '08 )
And the additional work i did but what someone else can think is not needed (like changing bearing shellls etc. etc..)

everybody can have a look at part prices at the site sponsors or somewere else ( i did both, the main majority i bought from Advanced Factors, but some parts who are significant cheaper somewere else i bought somewere else) there was in case of a main & big-end shells as a KIT more than 55 quid to be saved if bought somewere else, but the majority was very good priced at AF

headlines:
Good low milage (67K) JAG engine i bought for 1700 quid... (can be cheaper if you are in the UK i think, i am not)
expect another 700 quid if you do it proper on new upgraded oilpump, waterpump, timing belt kit, belt rollers/spanners, bearing shell kits, seals, gasket kit, etc..

expect to make reservations regarding budget @ arround 2500 quid if you do it proper? -/- 200 or 300 quid is achievable..

Note:
there is a profit to be made here with a JAG engine vs "just" a (new or overhauled) Small block, because ALL the HEAD work is not needed, incl de FUEL parts.. so NO new gaskets, NO work (both dismantling AND mounting), etc. etc.
may be open to debate, but if in case of a low milage JAG engine... hmmm i did make a educated guess, and was right until now Wink

the rest is time...... bought in= expensive, DIY= just time.. (and fun)

the transplant itself can be done in 3 days.... BUT.... doing also a new autobox filter, torque converter, be confronted with a leaking seal on the autobox which was not pre ordered Neutral doing also some other "small" stuff, break lines, because you are there anyway (body off that is) , can easy make it a 1,5 days extra...

Tip: buy simultaniously with a donor JAG engine an other LR engine with some damage... (i did bought one for 250 quid (broken timingbelt))
why? you do need to change the oilpan and stiffener plate / ladderframe ( LR011693 ) or buy them new...
changing /mounting them together with the new oilpump, etc.. BEFORE you hire lift time, saves you a (half a) day of expensive (if hired) lift time.. which can be 500 quid in the end..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #21346944th Apr 2020 10:49 am
Motolab

as promised earlyer, i have added a FIRST start ettempt video

FIRST start VIDEO
 Best regards
Harold

Post #21347314th Apr 2020 12:03 pm
aronsteinn

Iceland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I am actually about to do the same thing with my 2008 LR3 and I just bought a engine out of XF Jag.
I guess I might run into some problems with the fuel parts as my LR3 is Euro4 but we will see.

Regarding the side bolts for the main caps. Did you ever find any part numbers for those? Or did you just replace them with regular 8.8 bolts?

Post #213847415th Apr 2020 11:58 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Motolab wrote:
@G3Z

Thanks!

but regarding the Guts.... not really i use to think Wink just do it... it is only a Motor, with nuts and bolts, some electrical plugs, etc..

the more difficult part in my opinion is a proper lift and time....

and both a lift and time is maybe a thing you have to hire. these prices /pounds are a variable who can make a big difference... what can you do yourself (or not)?

earyler in this topic i made a list what is needed in the case of the type of JAG engine i bought (S-type till '08 )
And the additional work i did but what someone else can think is not needed (like changing bearing shellls etc. etc..)

everybody can have a look at part prices at the site sponsors or somewere else ( i did both, the main majority i bought from Advanced Factors, but some parts who are significant cheaper somewere else i bought somewere else) there was in case of a main & big-end shells as a KIT more than 55 quid to be saved if bought somewere else, but the majority was very good priced at AF

headlines:
Good low milage (67K) JAG engine i bought for 1700 quid... (can be cheaper if you are in the UK i think, i am not)
expect another 700 quid if you do it proper on new upgraded oilpump, waterpump, timing belt kit, belt rollers/spanners, bearing shell kits, seals, gasket kit, etc..

expect to make reservations regarding budget @ arround 2500 quid if you do it proper? -/- 200 or 300 quid is achievable..

Note:
there is a profit to be made here with a JAG engine vs "just" a (new or overhauled) Small block, because ALL the HEAD work is not needed, incl de FUEL parts.. so NO new gaskets, NO work (both dismantling AND mounting), etc. etc.
may be open to debate, but if in case of a low milage JAG engine... hmmm i did make a educated guess, and was right until now Wink

the rest is time...... bought in= expensive, DIY= just time.. (and fun)

the transplant itself can be done in 3 days.... BUT.... doing also a new autobox filter, torque converter, be confronted with a leaking seal on the autobox which was not pre ordered Neutral doing also some other "small" stuff, break lines, because you are there anyway (body off that is) , can easy make it a 1,5 days extra...

Tip: buy simultaniously with a donor JAG engine an other LR engine with some damage... (i did bought one for 250 quid (broken timingbelt))
why? you do need to change the oilpan and stiffener plate / ladderframe ( LR011693 ) or buy them new...
changing /mounting them together with the new oilpump, etc.. BEFORE you hire lift time, saves you a (half a) day of expensive (if hired) lift time.. which can be 500 quid in the end..

Hi Motolab

Hats off to u mate and imagine u well relieved it’s now all done Thumbs Up

Respect Bow down Bow down

Ps, like the scimitar

Last edited by gstuart on 16th Apr 2020 8:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #213847816th Apr 2020 12:59 am
Motolab

aronsteinn wrote:
I just bought a engine out of XF Jag.
I guess I might run into some problems with the fuel parts as my LR3 is Euro4 but we will see.

I think XF so mid ‘08 and younger have the same HPFP and rails as the EU4 LR

aronsteinn wrote:

Regarding the side bolts for the main caps. Did you ever find any part numbers for those? Or did you just replace them with regular 8.8 bolts?

Regular bolts won’t fit as the heads are to big.. you need a version with a smaller head..

I had some lying around from another engine (Subaru) so I did not have to order them for this engine.. so did not search for a partnumber...

although I need a few for the original TDV6 engine of my motor.. (I will fit another crank I already have lying around for it)
 Best regards
Harold

Post #213867816th Apr 2020 5:58 pm
Motolab

The final addition to my D3 is a decent tune.

All of the diesels i had the last 5 years had a proper tune added, from the same diesel tuner and i loved them... (never had any problem, no black smoke and very good measurements at the MOT (APK as we called it in tHe Netherlands)
Easyer power/drive, better shifting and better overall Fuel consumption, if drived decently Wink

Tuesday, i have uploaded a proper full power tune to the ECU, and made a test drive... and smiled!

This is the estimate gain we achieved (yes it is on paper, not on the dyno)

Click image to enlarge

Not bad for a 2.7l single turbo I think..

At least something is happening now when flored...
 Best regards
Harold

Post #214610314th May 2020 8:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >