Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Disco Dilemma - what advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Disco Dilemma - what advice

So when I bought the Disco, it was going to be a keeper. I had specific requirements, which the most important one was being a coiler. This came in a 5 seater configuration, which was great for my application, as I have three kids. Two light weight 8 and 9 year old girls, and a mighty 10 month old baby boy.

My requirements have now changed somewhat. I need a seven seater, but I am still pretty much a coiler person. The wife is pregnant, and being all excited, it does leave me with the question of what to do with the Disco. It is used as mom's taxi, and for our trips, which requires low range, and the ability to take us places.

I have spend a lot of money modding the D3 to almost exactly what I need, and have a long list of 14 other LR's I have owned. I do not want air suspension. What to do?

Solutions currently - 1. Convert to a seven seater, but need to get parts from a wrecker, and cannot find any in Aus, so I need help from the Aus members here!! or;
2. Buy another vehicle and dread it for a long time.

What advice have you got?

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #2551825th Feb 2008 12:13 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Go for the Air suspension version. Think you'll find the early issues are pretty much ironed out now & you're missus will love you fo rteh nice comfortable ride you'll be able to give her... (isn't that how you got to this position in teh first place Rolling Eyes )
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2551855th Feb 2008 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Disco Dilemma - what advice

PierreJ wrote:
I do not want air suspension. What to do?

er... live with what you got Thud

Post #2551865th Feb 2008 12:18 am
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I agree. go for the air suspension. Why on earth not? It is excellent apart from the fact that it can't be kept up over 40kmh. You will really notice the difference and regretfully (I think) your resale on the coil job will most likely suffer.
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #2552035th Feb 2008 12:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PierreJ

Re: Disco Dilemma - what advice

simon wrote:
PierreJ wrote:
I do not want air suspension. What to do?

er... live with what you got Thud

And leave mom at home. I don't do nappies. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #2552075th Feb 2008 1:00 am
PierreJ

Bodsy wrote:
Go for the Air suspension version. Think you'll find the early issues are pretty much ironed out now & you're missus will love you fo rteh nice comfortable ride you'll be able to give her... (isn't that how you got to this position in teh first place Rolling Eyes )

I don't think it is a failure issue. It is more an issue of being able to go above 40km/h on outback roads with deep ruts, as PBob mentioned. I am also not too keen on extending the rods.

I honestly lik my car as is it is now, but will go and speak to the Dealers, and look at options. What do I do with accessories. Do I take off what I can, and transplant them, or will I get a better price for leaving them on? I think I shoudl advertise it privately, and take it from there.
Post #2552125th Feb 2008 1:12 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you are going to sell it I'd be trying to return it to standard again. The RAI might need to stay on unless you go to the trouble to replace the guard and trim.

Keep the removable parts and refit them to a 7 seater D3. Just get air suspension. I'm sure in time there will be something coming along to fool the D3 computer to prevent the lowering at 50kph threshold.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2552195th Feb 2008 1:36 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Firstly I need to know Do you like Lettuce? Yes/No??

Just checking if you eat like a rabbit as well. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Come on, and catch up with the times, coils are last century technology, same as manual transmissions.
Air suspension is superior in ride and qualitiy, if this is such a roadblock? May be you need to look at some jap crap.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #2552325th Feb 2008 4:56 am
Andy V6SE

Australia 

I thought I have read about installing the 3rd row into a standard 5 seat Disco somewhere on this site...

Post #2552345th Feb 2008 5:19 am
PierreJ

razzle wrote:

Just checking if you eat like a rabbit as well. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

What I like, and what I dislike and what I eat or how I eat it has nothing to do with you or this topic. The fact that I do not have to pay for it like you, has in return nothing to do with me. Evil or Very Mad

razzle wrote:
Come on, and catch up with the times, coils are last century technology, same as manual transmissions.
Air suspension is superior in ride and qualitiy, if this is such a roadblock? May be you need to look at some jap crap.

I have justified this in a previous post, that I intend to do a lot o Outback trips, and in an article tested against the LC100, and Patrol, the Disco was faulted for the dropping of the suspension above 40Km/h. I have owned enough Land Rovers to know what mod work and which does not work, including playing with my Range Rover's EAS and eventually took it back to standard.

Perhaps decent underbody armour, instead of the flimsy plastic covers which gets torn off when doing 40k's on a dirt track. Neutral
Post #2552465th Feb 2008 8:06 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

PierreJ, congrats on the news re: the new arrival Exclamation

razzle wrote:

Rolling with laughter

all things considered, gotta admit this was funny - right Question
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #2552555th Feb 2008 8:45 am
PierreJ

TDMP wrote:
PierreJ, congrats on the news re: the new arrival Exclamation

razzle wrote:

Rolling with laughter

all things considered, gotta admit this was funny - right Question

Nope. In fact quite the opposite. It is a case of mine, hers and ours, and the reference to rabbits are quite derogatory, and yes we do have a TV, and no our condoms aren't knitted. Thanks for the congrats. Very Happy

Andy, I did search the archives but to no avail. Thanks for the pointers though. Thumbs Up
Post #2552665th Feb 2008 9:21 am
Ken

There is in Europe a box of tricks that will let u truck along in off road height PM Chris T after the 6th feb he will let you have the details

Post #2552695th Feb 2008 9:26 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ken wrote:
There is in Europe a box of tricks that will let u truck along in off road height PM Chris T after the 6th feb he will let you have the details

Here's a link to the Matzker Off-road kit. It is basically a small ECU which is fitted along with a small switch in the cockpit. The switch has 3 settings.....high, off and low or something similar.

It allows you to lower and raise the suspension by around 5cm more or less than standard meaning you can lock the suspension in 'access mode' for highway driving or in 'off-road height' for outback driving. You can also then select your suspension height settings on top of this 'manual' configuration meaning that off-road height becomes almost extended mode etc

http://www.matzker.de/product_info.php?products_id=750

For Google's translation copy and paste this address into your browser:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.matzker.de/product_info.php?products_id=750&langpair=de|en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2552795th Feb 2008 9:57 am
White Disco

Australia 

What Andy V6SE said. Thumbs Up I'm sure I've seen a thread on installing 3rd row seats on this site. I had a look before, but had to cut it short on account of work.

I've said it before: Work is the curse of the Discovery3 man.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2553215th Feb 2008 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >