Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Sunroof in OZ
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Cheap

Sunroof in OZ

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum and I was wondering if people could share the pro's and con's of the sunroof option.

We live is Brisbane and we're very near to purchase on a TDV6 HSE. We have a sunroof on our current 4x4 and really like it, however, the current 4x4 has a solid slide out cover which completely blocks out the Sun/UV when required.

To be honest more often than not, the sunroof is closed and the the cover is drawn, but there are the occassions when the sunroof is open and the world is perfect.

As you know the Disco's sunroof have a partial block out (which looks and feels alot like a horizontal slide out blind Very Happy ). I would like to hear from people who have the Disco sunroof option and their opinion on the sunroof. How does it stack up to the typical Aussie summer and extreme UV's (especially here in Brisbane).

Also, we have 3 terrorists (sometimes refered to as children). The 2 rear seats will be used to seperate our terrorists and restore peace and order to the civilised world, if I go the Sunroof, I don't want the kids to fry under the blazing sun either.

Thanks in advance,

Cheap (aka JB)

Post #24899422nd Jan 2008 10:30 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi there Cheap and welcome Thumbs Up

I am afraid can't comment on the UV as Northern Hemisphere based, however with Black car and sunroof option it is OK even at 40 degrees (with the blinds shut), haven't been warmer than that Whistle

It does make the interior of an ebony car much lighter as well. Very Happy
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #24899722nd Jan 2008 10:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

Re: Sunroof in OZ

firstly welcome.
Cheap wrote:
extreme UV's (especially here in Brisbane).
I take you've never been to South OZ then  
Post #24902122nd Jan 2008 12:02 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Yeah, you should come south if you want UV!

When I was living in Perth, I regularly went to the Kimberley for work. I have fair skin and I've never felt the sun's sting moreso than down here in Esperance. I reckon it's the ozone hole.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #24902522nd Jan 2008 12:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
trikki

Australia 

When looking to purchase last summer I thought a sun roof would be nice as well. I was fortunate to take a hse with sun roof for a test drive on one of the 40+ days we got in 2006 and decided to forgo the sunroof. I found it unbearable with the blind open and there was not much difference with it closed. I tested the 3rd row just to see what it would be ike for the unfortunate extra kids I might have to cart around and even with the rear air blowing full I found it very uncomfortable.

One great thing I have noticed with the d3's air is the rear air is mostly off and the front vents are half closed - it is fantastic and quiet too. My last 4wd I'd have to have the climate control down to 12deg running full and the rear passengers were still sweating - the only air vent in the rear were under the front seats

Post #24903122nd Jan 2008 12:13 pm
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Jamo wrote:
Yeah, you should come south if you want UV!

When I was living in Perth, I regularly went to the Kimberley for work. I have fair skin and I've never felt the sun's sting moreso than down here in Esperance. I reckon it's the ozone hole.

I reckon the hole in the Ozone is here in the west as well. Boxing day in Perth with 46 Celsius. I sat in front of the aircon with the Waeco filled with beer next to me. Very Happy
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #24905622nd Jan 2008 1:33 pm
gethro

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hey Cheap Very Happy . I have the sun/alpine roof......I also have 4 terrorists Shocked ! Although I cant conmpare to a D3 with no sunroof I've never found the car to get hotter than any other I've owned and as others have mentioned, the aircon is very effictive. What we probably enjoy most is the amount of extra light the 2 fixed roofs in the rear allow into thew cabin. As for the UV all the terrorists are very fair skinned and we've had no sunburn with the shades drawn!!

Good luck 8)

Post #24938622nd Jan 2008 11:18 pm
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi there.. I'm Brisbane based.

I also test drove an HSE with Sunroof in December 06 when I ordered by new SE.

My then current car (Hyundai Tucson) had a sunroof.. so I thought I'd order one. The salesman actually let me drive the HSE with sunroof as he thought i wouldn't like it.

He was right.... just made the car so hot inside. Like an oven actually. Much hotter than the Hyundai. Must admit, i don't miss it at all now.

So in summary... I think you would regret spening all that extra money to bake yourself.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

MArk taylor
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #24938722nd Jan 2008 11:18 pm
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Cheap and welcome ...

I have the alpine sunroof on my D3. I did recently drive a D3 (service car) without an alpine sunroof and felt very enclosed. It does bring in more light than normal, and the shades do a reasonable job of toning down the harsh sun we can get in Oz. I do have the alpaca interior, rather than the ebony.
Recently I had family up over Xmas and the alpine roof was perfect for sight seeing !
Even over the hot periods over Xmas, I just turned the air-con on for a minute before all six of us jumped in, and it was quite cool and comfortable.
It also depends where you park the vehicle .. ie undercover or not. Mine is rarely undercover, but don't feel the heat that much ...
I guess at the end of the day, it's what you feel comfortable with. I've pretty much had sunroofs in all cars and generally is one of the first options i add ...

good luck ... i don't think you'll be too disappointed if you do get it Wink

cheers,
bashir.

PS - don't forget to get ur disco3.co.uk stickers for the beast Very Happy
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #24947923rd Jan 2008 1:49 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Jamo wrote:
I have fair skin and I've never felt the sun's sting moreso than down here in Esperance. I reckon it's the ozone hole.

Yeah
We have the same problem
 Pete  
Post #24948123rd Jan 2008 2:58 am
MJC73

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dont start on the hole in the ozone layer - the greenies will be blaming 4X4's and we'll all be forced to drive a Prius - anyway the hole is 30% smaller than it was last year. http://www.livescience.com/environment/071...rinks.html

Re the topic of a sunroof - I'm probably not much help as I dont have one but I can say that even without a sunroof the cabin in the D3 is very light. I have the beige leather which probably helps and we generally get enough sun on the Gold Coast, although not recently with the crazy wet cold weather over Xmas - we had the doona on last night, so much for the sub-tropical summer.

Post #25004424th Jan 2008 12:49 am
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Sun?...... What is sun? Rolling with laughter
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #25004924th Jan 2008 12:57 am
mtb

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was looking at the sun roof myself but two things concerned me. One was the heat with the shade only being a partial shade.
The other was there seemed to be a number of people with wet floor mats / water in the cabin due to blocked drain tubes etc. Now thats not normally a problem due to the drought I suppose but it seems that el ninio has changed that.....

Question Question Neutral

In the end I decided to err on the side of caution, so no sunroof - but it would have been nice driving through the forests etc
 HSE TDV6 Silver. Roof rails, Adaptive lights, electronic diff. Now its time to add a few extra bits..... Dual Battery setup, Rhino Roof Racks, UHF / VHF radio, ARB bar and winch, custom storage..by me ... Now trying some Grabber AT2's.  
Post #25005824th Jan 2008 1:21 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

AVE wrote:
Sun?...... What is sun? Rolling with laughter

Sun is a southern hemisphere thing, just like rugby. Rolling with laughter
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #25005924th Jan 2008 1:37 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

G'day - we got the TDv6 SE model, with no sunroof, then had a sunroof added.

2 benefits - I think:
- cost: $2500 or thereabouts
- function: it's front only, is very large though, it retracts inside the roof rather than tilt and slide, it has a solid internal sliding cover upholstered same as roof lining.

I got mine from Prestige Sunroofs in Melbourne.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #25006024th Jan 2008 1:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >