Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Sand Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No error messages were displayed, did yours come up with any messages when it went into safe mode?

The motor was probably doing around 3000 rpm and really starting to labour in the drier sand at the top of the ramp, this should be really in the “power band” of the diesel and is should of kept going? Glad I was by myself and no other vehicles around Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , I am due for a service this week and will see if they can download any faults?

One thing that surprised me was the amount ETC was kicking in on the sand, which was helping to reduce momentum, I will admit my second run was not in a straight line but more of a curve, which would add a little my challenge to the first run.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #2542702nd Feb 2008 11:40 pm
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I had the whole loss of power issue when on a trip with members of this forum last year. SImilar ircumstances as yours - at the top of a fairly easy climb and at about 3000 revs. I got a message that the transmission had overheated and lost all power. After idling for a few minutes and a restart, no more problems (we kept on driving for the rest of the day, and I've done plenty more since.

When it went in for its next service they could not find any faults logged and the transmission was fine.

It has never happened again.

I put it down to a gremlin Question Exclamation
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #2543013rd Feb 2008 2:31 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine came up with 'engine fault'.
revs dropped to idle and I crawled out the other side then 'transmission fault appeared'.
Dealer downloaded lots of fault codes but had no idea what caused it.
I since have sprayed 'plasticote' in some of electrics and have a made a snorkel.
The new MY08 model has a changed CANBUS sytem and the components talk to each other differently. They have got rid of a lot on piggy backed components and integrated them (so I am told by dealers techo). Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2543043rd Feb 2008 3:35 am
Jamo

Australia 

In the sand I've found that 16psi for the 70 profile STT's has been enough, but if I get stuck I'll drop them further.

The 60 profile road tyres need to be down to 10-12psi for the soft stuff around here.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2543113rd Feb 2008 7:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

TDMP wrote:
without being a "Monday's Expert" I found that I had to drop my tyre pressures to 10psi before the D3 really started to perform in the sand. From then on, it could not be stopped.

Very Happy

Tristan, my guess is you have 19" wheels, in which case it is necessary to drop the presures down further than a 17" wheels where 16-18 PSI should be more than enough.
Cheers
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #2545313rd Feb 2008 9:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

mobyone,

I had the 18" HSE OEM's on, with the OEM wranglers (and am looking for a 18" 100% road tyre to replace them).

cheers
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #2545503rd Feb 2008 10:10 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Razzle,
Don't know if you saw my post - but we did a trip to Tassie and drove on the Perron Dunes as well. yes - the trip onto the dunes is easy - we were running about 22psi to start with. We also did a trip along behind the first dunes in the drier/deeper sand - harder work, and ahad to have a couple of goes at sections - some with DSC on, some off...

When getting off the beach though, we struggled - the combination of sand dryness and depth, and the gradient up was sufficient for us to drop pressures to about 16psi, and get a big run up - then it was fine - and no, no engine dramas for us. Everywhere else it went fine. Tyre pressures really are the number one thing in sand driving, followed by "feeling" the throttle and its effect on traction vs. digging in... We were pretty stuck in one part - and it's so easy to dig big holes in the sand with the revs! Harder to feel when you need to take it easy - and back up, go forward, repeatedly, making a ramp from where you can drive off...

All good fun! My pics at: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1709

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2546714th Feb 2008 4:21 am
razzle

Yes certainly remembered your trip, yes I thought the tyres did not have to much bulge at 18 psi, I was going to play around with tyre pressures but after having the engine dramas I did not want to push my luck. Must say during the holiday I spent some decent time on some dirt track around the Binalong Bay area and let the disco show its class. Bow down Bow down Bow down

Had one sour note, I managed to dislocate my middle finger, trying to separate 2 members of the Y generation, from killing each other at a Australia day festival at St Helens, I confess to being a gen X, but I am starting to notice a real mean streak and binge drinking mentality in some of these younger people.

Next time I will give up the good Samaritan act and take the doctors advice and use a bucket of cold water to disperse a fight Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #2547524th Feb 2008 11:38 am
White Disco

Australia 

Ah getting older are we? Wink
It happens. Laughing

I remember a "Between the wars baby" getting whacked, by mistake, breaking up a grog driven fight between a baby boomer & Yours truly, a borderline baby boomer/x gen.

"Bloody young ba Censored ds. 'Nearly killed Me! 'I dunno this young generation; I think Australia has had it when these bludgers get in control." BTW said to a group of agreeing peers of his.
The Baby boomer & I bought each other a drink and got on forgetting about the blue. Thumbs Up
I know there is a looooot more sh Censored t for kids to get hooked up on today even from My day. Victor Meldrew
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2547574th Feb 2008 11:43 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Oops. Embarassed
How did this end up in this post I osted elsewhere. Question Confused

Well done reddisco. Thumbs Up
Sorry you got injued though. Sad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 10th Feb 2008 1:52 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #2547674th Feb 2008 12:17 pm
Drive cosy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you guys ever tackled the infamous Boambee Beach at Coffs Harbour?

The Disco handled it like a dream (even with ~50psi in the tyres). I was somewhat disheartened, however, to see a Corolla parked on the beach one evening, such is the treachery of the approach. Laughing

You could almost skateboard on the wet stuff. Mr. Green

Post #2572409th Feb 2008 2:18 am
razzle

razzle wrote:
No error messages were displayed, did yours come up with any messages when it went into safe mode?

The motor was probably doing around 3000 rpm and really starting to labour in the drier sand at the top of the ramp, this should be really in the “power band” of the diesel and is should of kept going? Glad I was by myself and no other vehicles around Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , I am due for a service this week and will see if they can download any faults?

One thing that surprised me was the amount ETC was kicking in on the sand, which was helping to reduce momentum, I will admit my second run was not in a straight line but more of a curve, which would add a little my challenge to the first run.

Finally had disco in for service, they could not find any faults when the engine lost power, but stated that TR dial was not in correct position? I am sure it can only be in 1 mode and not “bridged” across two modes? Rolling Eyes
Post #25796911th Feb 2008 12:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >