Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Power steering issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
S_Kirk

Denmark 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Did some reading about symptoms on a faulty steering rack and that do indeed sound like a possibility.

Can I do some simply procedures to try an pinpoint which parts possibly needs replacement?

Post #20433024th Apr 2019 10:53 pm
duke41

United Kingdom 

Hi,had same issues.......i replaced lower steering,which was notchy when taken off and checked,as you did but also replaced the transducer valve,under driver side wing,(just remove wheel to get to it). This regulates steering fluid at varied speeds accordingly. This cured my steering completely.
Its actually called Power Steering Control Valve Actuator........easy job.Hope this helps you

Post #20433054th Apr 2019 11:17 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Relief valve = control valve actuator Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20433505th Apr 2019 8:55 am
duke41

United Kingdom 

As you were. Thumbs Up

Post #20433595th Apr 2019 9:04 am
S_Kirk

Sounds promising!

Funny thing happened the past week - changed my tyres from winter to summer last Thursday, and since then the steering has been very light. Then yesterday it went back to "normal" being a lot stiffer. Don't know if the control valve actuator can explain this also.
Tyres are same dimension and brand.

Haven't had the time to jack it up yet to test, will update when i have.

Thanks for the help so far, really appreciate it!

Post #204472710th Apr 2019 10:01 am
duke41

United Kingdom 

Mine was intermittent...temperature,time parked up before drive etc...these and more all seemed to affect the steering but it still became a real random issue the stiffer it became.
As i said,steering now completely cured and actually returns to centre on acceleration !!...who knew ? Shocked

Post #204478810th Apr 2019 4:06 pm
S_Kirk

duke41 wrote:
Hi,had same issues.......i replaced lower steering,which was notchy when taken off and checked,as you did but also replaced the transducer valve,under driver side wing,(just remove wheel to get to it). This regulates steering fluid at varied speeds accordingly. This cured my steering completely.
Its actually called Power Steering Control Valve Actuator........easy job.Hope this helps you

Can't seem to find the part your'e mentioning, could you help me with a part number, or a link?

Was your problem also on a Discovery 3, since I'm told that my vehicle does not have a valve regulating the steering at different speeds...?

Post #204518011th Apr 2019 8:49 pm
duke41

United Kingdom 

My bad.....disco's don't indeed have this system,i have an RRS. Apologies. However,M3DPO may have a point with the relief valve,i think which is on the main steering rack itself,sometimes the 'O' rings break down.
Sorry for mis-information

Post #204521111th Apr 2019 10:06 pm
S_Kirk

No worries Duke Smile

Had a chance to get the car jacked up the other day. Everything seemed to move as intended, and nothing stood out when going full lock both ways with the engine running idle...

Post #204544512th Apr 2019 6:54 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That sort of indicates it occurs when suspension is loaded. I would look at ball joints.

Post #204557013th Apr 2019 10:49 am
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi S.Kirk, I've just sorted the same problem on my D3. It was caused, as others have found, by the UJ on the end of the lower steering shaft being affected by corrosion in the UJ bearings. It gets slowly worse as time goes on and you feel as though the power steering system is at fault. Sometime it seems to be OK then it just locks up again. I would take it off anyway, if only to rule it out, but I'm fairly confident you'll find the UJ is stiff or jammed in one direction, but moves OK in the other. In fact you'll only need to release the UJ from the rack and to be able to confirm it's had it.

The shaft is just behind the right hand inner wing. With the wheel off and car on a stand, you can get underneath to look up just inside the chassis rail. You'll make out the shaft easily as it's enclosed in foil heat shielding. From under there you can also reach the bolt securing the shaft to the rack (8mm 12 point spanner). However, to get at the top joint (10mm socket) you need to remove the 'second battery box'.

Once the bolts are out the bottom joint should come off with ease, but the top one may need a little assistance to get started. The shaft is telescopic so there's no issue with space. I found though, that the pinch joint on the UJ needed to be opened a little with a screwdriver, then it fitted into place without problems.

Post #204571413th Apr 2019 8:22 pm
jamyrb

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

S_Kirk wrote:
No worries Duke Smile

Had a chance to get the car jacked up the other day. Everything seemed to move as intended, and nothing stood out when going full lock both ways with the engine running idle...

S_Kirk: I have read this entire thread and I am curious about if you did fix the steering and what was the real fault? I see from the dates this is a while ago so you have probably solved your issue!

I have similar sympthoms on my '05 D3...
- Steering wheel get heavy/friction in 45 degrees from center position on both sides. May not self center if left in this position. The position is always the same, not random.
- Happens around 40km/h and above, not noticable in low speed.
- mostly not before after driving 15 minutes. May heat be an input to this?
- Irregularly, not in every turn
- Car is normal when standing still and in low speed.

Checked and replaced:
- Replaced lower steering column, nothing changed.
- Replaced all suspension arms included supsension ball links holding the hubs.
- Replaced steering rods included ball links.
- Fluid level ok, no leaks. Not replaced.
- Feels ok when turning wheel from side to side with car jacked up. Both with engine on and off.

Next to try:
- Change lower steering column one more time (in case it was a fault new part).
- Power steering reservoar
- Steering rack? Confused

Post #219641726th Dec 2020 7:14 pm
logche

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

If your steering wheel doesn't go back when turning, you may need 4 wheel alignment and especially to find someone who can set caster.
 Thanks,
Tiho 

Post #219642626th Dec 2020 9:11 pm
Kviasen

Norway 

If the steering gets stiff occasionally it is the cv joint that connects the steering wheel to the steering rack.
I had it on mine and just removed the joint witch looks like an old cardan shaft joint, the rust creeps behind the sealing rings and the joint gets stuck.
I left it in a box with wd 40 over night and from time to time moved it to let it penetrate and it is now cured completly.
Theese joints are also sold on ebay but remember the right and left hand setup but it is specified in the listings.
It vould have been a good thing if there was a grease nippel on the joint then grease it every other year to prevent this problem.

Post #219651627th Dec 2020 1:47 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Kviasen wrote:
If the steering gets stiff occasionally it is the cv joint that connects the steering wheel to the steering rack.

Sorry... does not need to be.....

I have this problem also, replaced the complete lower steering part with the U-joints.. (while i was there anyway) OEM JLR part..... same problem.... the “old” JLR one was also still in perfect condition...

As my problem is slightly better after a fluid change, AND there is grey isch polution in the fluid, is suspect a worn pump.... first... that is the only place where there is metal wear is the most logic place.... (other parts will be more O-rings, simmering wear related so not metallic debris in the amount is see here)
And.... second the problem is most significant at lower revs.......(so also in sixt gear at approx 80km/h, faster than that, never an issue) so less pressure is suspect...

Bottomline: IS. As there IS only one problem (and therefore only one solution) possible.. i do not agree here...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219656627th Dec 2020 5:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >