Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Aux connector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
pjv

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

just removed kick plates from both rhs & lhs in my 58 GS. There are no aux wires that I can easily identify by colour. Fairly widdled myself because these didn't come off easily and I broke a lug (mended my plastic welding with soldering iron) and when I thought to have a look under the centre consul - totally pooped the underwear because it wouldn't go back. How do you boys get the nerve to pull the thing to pieces Question Bow down

No further onwards so next option is back of the radio. Now I need help!

how does the radio come out and how do I connect to the au in? - fairly simple stuff I know but I'm no wiggs!

Only good thing was I noticed the interior door seal hadn't been fitted correctly so as able to complete the build myself!

pjv

Post #39095221st Dec 2008 10:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Aux connector in passenger footwell on LHD vehicles

evo8 wrote:
Finally I got some time to take a look at the cables in the passnger footwel. The connectors look the same however - there is no red, black and blue cable comming out of the grey one.

So my last chance is to remove the stereo - and try to plug in directly into the plug.

Poor evo8!

I didn't read this whole thread through the first time! So for those of you with LHD vehicles, the aux wires go to the GREEN connector in the photo above. In fact, you can see the red & blue audio lines coming from the black cable which comes in from the top and attaches to the green connector!

Post #40234114th Jan 2009 8:30 pm
pjv

I may be embarresed Embarassed - but I couldn't find wires on either side of my 09 GS in footwell so no go for Aux there.

Also, I had radio out (was brave and pulled the surrounding facia from the bottom!)and the smaller of the 2 connectors has only 1 thin black wire. Any offers on how to connect to the 3 pins for the aux? (The block connector hasn't got any female spades for the unused pins)

still amazed at utter madness of you lot in tampering with D3 but would be lost without you all Bow down

Post #40409317th Jan 2009 4:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phurley

pjv,
I think you may be stuck having to get the LR ACM kit. That has the radio harness connectors you need to get AUX input working - unless you can source connector parts there. [I have a lot of difficulty sourcing LR electrical parts because, even if it's a US manufacturer, often they don't offer the same parts that are avail in Europe Sad ].

The ACM now has a 3.5mm jack on the module itself - although there isn't a matching 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm socket cable.

FYI, the new kit, VPLAE0001, installs in the upper glove box and does not have a cradle.

At least now that you have a bunch of interior trim experience, you'll be able to install the kit yourself and save money there.

Post #40552419th Jan 2009 10:08 pm
pjv

Thanks - I'm beginning to understand and certainly getting braver at pulling bits off

I'll pm TLO

Phil

Post #40577820th Jan 2009 10:23 am
phurley

From another thread on this site, I found a supplier for vehicle harness adaptor to the IHU. http://www.cici-ci.com/LANaux.html - scroll to the bottom

Not sure if it's loose leads or what, but seems that those that need AUX input leads for the GS, these might work. I would call for vehicle application as the RRS and D3 would have the same hardshell connector (so it's unclear why they're separate parts, with one at double the cost).

Post #4132752nd Feb 2009 12:41 am
gedaso

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm in the process of trying to wire in my iPhone using the connector in the footwell. Because I'm a neat freak, rather than soldering in to existing wires I'd rather put in new wires with the proper crimped pins to mate with the existing wires in the footwell connector.

Anyone know if/where one could obtain a few of the flat bladed crimped pins shown in the photo below ?

thanks
Geoff

Post #59379831st Jan 2010 6:13 am
K3ITH

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have a newish 09 GS and can confirm that there is no AUX port wiring at the back of the radio. There is a 12 pin connector block but only 1 black lead is attached to pin 12 (Audio Ground).

However, I have managed to connect my Garmin Nuvi SatNav to the AUX Port and it works perfectly.

I used 3 x JST Male connectors – These connectors are commonly used in the Radio Controlled world for battery connection. The connectors have 2 sockets that fit the AUX pins perfectly – Search on Ebay for JST Male they’re about £1 each (COLOUR RED). I also used a stereo cable with a 3.5mm plug.

You need to remove the original 12 Pin connector block and cut the Black lead, this lead will be connected with a JST Plug.

JST Plug 1.
Remove the RED lead and join the BLACK lead to the Black lead cut from the 12 Pin connector block above. This plug will push onto pins 11 (no connection) and 12 (Audio Ground)

Cut the Stereo lead to an appropriate length and strip the wire - there will be 2 small leads for the left and right channels and the shielding wire for the AUX Screen

JST Plug 2.
Join the RED lead to one of the small Stereo leads and the BLACK lead to the other small Stereo lead. This plug will push onto pins 7 (Right AUX input) and 8 (Left AUX input)

JST Plug 3.
Remove the RED lead and join the BLACK lead to the Stereo lead shielding wire. This plug will push onto pins 6 (Aux Screen) and 5 (no connection)

Look carefully in the socket on the back of the head unit, pins 1,6,7 and 12 are identified.

Post #59410831st Jan 2010 5:35 pm
adamheath

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

CG wrote:
This is the connector, there are two black wires , one red and one blue.

I am guess one of the colours is one channel, the other the second channel, that leaves the black wires, one of which is the ground, but what the other is, unless a second ground wire I do not know.

Click image to enlarge

could someone please tell me how I can remove this unit easily without breaking it or the surround?

Post #62468521st Mar 2010 7:30 pm
vtrnutter

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Me too. Can somebody please explain how this rear aux panel is removed without breaking anything? I need to wire some power / aux into the centre arm console for my bluetooth gateway. Thanks.

Post #62862828th Mar 2010 3:41 pm
vtrnutter

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Answered my own question. Small screwdriver in either side of the panel, then slowly lever forwards. Once each side has popped out, firm tug on entire panel (dont be shy) and it will come out.

Post #62998231st Mar 2010 1:02 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I have just followed K3ITH's instructions and SWMBO is now very happy as her ipod now works on the aux input. Those JST connectors make it so easy - my 06 model had the plug on the stereo wired but no connector in the footwell - heaven knows where the wires went - so I had to 'tee' the wires in. On my 09 - Now that Land Rover are so tight and probably managed to shave 2p off every GS by not putting any wires on the plug it is so much easier.
Big thumbs up the you, K3ITH
cheers
Gilbo

Post #6329687th Apr 2010 12:15 pm
K3ITH

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Gilbo,

Pleased it helped you - A few brownie points for SWMBO is never a bad thing!

The JST plugs span 2 pins on the head-unit socket perfectly...

Post #6330187th Apr 2010 3:52 pm
shining

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just thought I would add a little to this thread. I wanted an additional 3.5mm aux jack in the front so I connected directly into the rear of the stereo. In order to overcome the volume issue because of the rear jack I pulled the rear connector on the PCB apart and cut out the bridging parts that short the connectors out when not in use. This short stops the "noise" created if "aux" is selected and there is no imput. There are some pics in the attached thread.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/114916...nacle.html

Works a treat. Happy New Year to our northern bretheren.

Post #74475210th Jan 2011 10:58 pm
astrro

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

Hi i want to take a feed off these wires so i can have a aux socket up front as i keep pulling it out by mistake or my kids pull it out when i play my 80is music Mr. Green Do i just slice in to wires and route cable were i want it or is it a bit more complicated than that. On closer inspection one of the black wires is bigger that the other one. I know about the one you can do from the footwell but i have the dvd in the roof so i think this makes it not possible on my motor it a 06 plate Metropolis

Post #94631924th Jun 2012 12:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >