Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dilemna
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Batfink

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Dilemna

Am in two minds what to do. I have got to replace rear wheel bearings so was going to do all bushes at the same time.

Now I can't decide if I should just replace all the arms or buy a hydraulic press and the poly bush kit from AF.

What are people's thoughts? Car isn't used very often so time or speed of repair isn't a massive issue but it will be done out on the road on axle stands.

Also if I go down the poly route how easy are the ball joints to replace on each arm and what rating press would people recommend?

As far as I know the car has never been off road and had wheel alignment done a while ago and the guy said it is the first one where all the bolts they needed to loosen to adjust all behaved and required no brutal persuasion.
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #196843828th Jul 2018 6:50 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

No fun using a press. Particularly on a 3 tonne truck.
Ppl don't rate poly on these cars

Post #196844028th Jul 2018 6:53 pm
Batfink

I will rephrase what I said. I meant the Super Pro bushes which do seem better received than normal polys.
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #196845028th Jul 2018 7:24 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I just replaced rear wheel bearings on a D3, as this is the only time you can remove the back plates these were done also.
As were the upr and lwr knuckles, simply because it was easier off the car and made sense. Seized brake unions meant replacement of flexi and inboard brake lines, all EPB hub components, shoes, springs etc. New calipers discs, and pads were thrown in for good measure. All came away with relative ease, the biggest Censored being removal of the drive shaft from the hub carrier. I had to use the biggest hydraulic puller I could find (took two big Irish Men just to hold it Laughing ) as every other puller just buckled!

You will need a hydraulic press to push out/in the knuckles and wheel bearings. I used a 30ton which managed the job fine, and if you need to replace any section of the brake lines a flaring tool will be required. You will also need to replace any bolts with new particularly on the knuckles as these control the part of the wheel alignment and need adjustment afterwards. Now all that is not to put you off! but make no mistake if you are doing it on the side of the road you will be challenged. You might not need to do the knuckles but why would you not once the carrier is off anyway? Your EPB shoes and other items might also be OK and anyway can be done at another time without too much fuss. Hope this is of some help and doesn't scare the life out of you Smile

Post #196845828th Jul 2018 7:40 pm
Batfink

Nothing scares me. Was planning on doing the brake lines (rubber ones) and hub bushes too. Would use all new bolts.

Was looking at a 6t press as limited on space in the shed to house it. Rear discs and pads were replaced last year shortly before I bought the car but don't know if the handbrake shoes were changed. Does squawk occasionally when putting the epb on.

I have got some industrial screw loosener from work so that would be applied to all bolts before removal.

Just more trying to decide on arm or just bushes really.
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #196846428th Jul 2018 8:05 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Plan for a brake flaring tool as it will be likely some of the unions with the flexi's will be beyond serviceable use. I would suggest 20ton min for the press if you're going to buy one. The suspension arms present their own issues as is well documented on this forum. Start with a good pressure wash and clean as much crud as you can which will give you some visual idea of condition. You will have a much better idea of condition when all else is out of the way! Here I would recommend you have a small angle grinder as some of the bolts are generally seized solid.

Post #196847928th Jul 2018 8:47 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

No less than a 20ton press

Ball joints are easy to replace

Bushes are a bit awkward, a 2nd pair of hands is a huge help, as is a large selection of press tools Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #196850628th Jul 2018 9:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disgoeshere

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just done my NSR spare knuckle, 20 ton press used quite a involved job, need the
right equipment without doubt.

Andy

07MY (8A) D3 2.7 TDV6 Manual SE

New oil pump, water pump, cam belt - DM
New prop, new clutch TVLR,Beanie Grille,Black & Silver Badges
All Filters, oil change,clock on dash,4x4 info,RLD Protector,silicone hoses
Front and Rear TRW low Dust dtec V8 brake upgrade,new oil sump 

Post #196852328th Jul 2018 10:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >