Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Steering wheel leather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

In Oz I think they still are all leather. Question
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27198113th Mar 2008 12:06 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

"In Oz I think they are all leather" Should read, Shocked In Oz they are all very c Censored p leather Shocked
For the price you pay, and how little extra good leather would cost LR seem to shoot themselves in the foot, This applyes to other quality issues too.

Rob

Post #27240814th Mar 2008 2:05 am
caverD3

Got a loaner Freelander from the dealer and the steering wheel leather does seem different the grain is more obvious and coarser.
I wonder if the replacement will be like it?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27241214th Mar 2008 2:23 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

catweasel wrote:
Ive had one airbag cover replaced and its replacement is going the same way only a couple of months on Thud.
I've also had the cowling which encloses the windscreen wipers replaced (well its sitting in my shed) due to it deteriorating. I dont think the D3 likes the sun very much as I can now see what appears to be a bubble starting to appear next to the passengers side airbag on the dash.

Hi CW,

How bad was the cowling for the LR dealer to replace it under warranty? Shocked
The cowling looks like crap very quickly unless you're constantly putting ArmourAll or McGuires Vinyl stuff on it each week. Similarly the headlight water jets (left over from the D2 parts bin) are just as bad, so did they replace these as well??

Question
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #28022231st Mar 2008 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Furymax

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I said somewhere earlier in this thread that my dealer wasn't fitting any steering wheel replacements until the permamnent fix was released.
I just had my 24k service done and they have replaced it, on the invoice it says part ordered before ssm released - I assume this means it is not the permanent fix one.... but does anyone know what SSM stands for??

catweasel wrote:
I've also had the cowling which encloses the windscreen wipers replaced

I also had this replaced - it was almost white!!!

Cheers
FURY
 05 V8 SE Java Black 19's and Sunroof  
Post #2803131st Apr 2008 4:53 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

MLR have just ordered my warranty replacement - apparently some stock shortage though, so who knows how long the wait will be.

At least they acknowledge the issue...

cheers
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2816883rd Apr 2008 1:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just yesterday have had my wheel replaced (black). It does appear to be similar to the previous one. It has been on order for about two months. Also had the steering knuckles replaced, (have these checked, as they apparently have done a few). Also I asked about the wheel alignment that was done after the ball joints were fitted. Apparently the setting for the air suspension only came in on an upgrade computor disc, after they were having trouble getting the settings right. They "lock" the airbags whilst it is done. They say all the warning lights stay on whilst they drove it down to the alignment blokes. So it would appear that you can do the alignment normally if you need to, but if you really want it to be dead accurate you need to pre set it.
Also had a grommet fitted under the windscreen (known fault) - this is to fix my water leak into the cab around the glove box (which wasn't anything to do with my tropical roof). Also a new water bottle. All this at 60,000km.
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #2819433rd Apr 2008 9:30 pm
denny crane

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

The manufacturer offered a cost saving before the first D3's were off the production line with the way in which the leater is stitched, but the problem started appearing in hot countries first, and were only on cars within the first few months of build, or so they thought. Turns out they are all failing over a period of time and of course, have been replaced with same wheels.

The manufacturer is trying to sort the problem out. Costing this Spanish company big money.

Post #2820033rd Apr 2008 10:47 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My lucky day! The got a new wheel in today while I had it in for the 48k service!

Wondering if it is a new design - the leather and sticthing look and feel different - or am I imagining it?

I also had replaced under warranty, the instrument cluster, after a crack appeared in the perspex right in the middle, getting slowly longer and longer...

Expensive though - over $700 aussie for what isn't meant to be a major service. At least it was good service Smile.

cheers

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2820564th Apr 2008 5:52 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Am I missing something here?? My November '07 SE has a vinyl steering wheel, looks like leather but is definitely vinyl.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #2828506th Apr 2008 8:08 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My 06 S has a leather wheel, at the 60K service it was noted as defective and a new one ordered, perhaps the vinyl is more stable than spanish leather Sheep
 TDV6  
Post #2828736th Apr 2008 10:11 am
caverD3

Laurie
Should be leather occording to spec sheet I think.
I would check the spec and ask dealer.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #2828836th Apr 2008 11:02 am
denny crane

The top models are all split leather, the bottom end modelas are PU.
No, no change in the steering wheel at the moment, still the same as the failure parts.

Post #2829966th Apr 2008 5:55 pm
denny crane

Good news!
I heard today that they have changed to full leather wheels replacing the duff split leather ones. Thumbs Up

Post #2834447th Apr 2008 5:29 pm
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My new one goes on Friday this week. Interesting to see what I get.

AND

Milestone 100 th posting
 TDV6  
Post #2838228th Apr 2008 8:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >