Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil leak with pictures, any ideas ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SamR

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, I agree. There’s still plenty in the brake fluid level. A little goes a long way. I’ve a fifty mile round trip today then it’s straight to the garage. I’ll post a follow up. Thank you 👍

Post #234646730th Aug 2023 8:19 am
SamR

Brake Pipes Corroded

Hi DN, I've had it confirmed today that it's defnitely the brake pipes. Does anyone know any workaround to fixing corroded brake pipes without getting the body off? Otherwise it's going to be expensive!

Any other things I should get done at the same time?

Post #23472957th Sep 2023 7:24 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi SamR, It depends how far forward the pipes are corroded. Most are confined to the rear 1/2 of the car, and usually pipes are renewed from roughly above the centre (exhaust silencer area) rearwards, using pipe joiners, which involves flaring the existing steel pipe ends, and flaring (ideally) copper nickel replacement pipes, these would require quite complex bending operations to produce. Did your garage not offer a solution ? Body off, is really only necessary if all the pipes fwd of this are also corroded, or if you didn’t particularly want to have any joiners in the pipe work.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years. 

Last edited by DN on 7th Sep 2023 8:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23472987th Sep 2023 8:00 pm
SamR

Hi DN, thanks for your further update. I think it is only corrosion from the rear. The garage hasn't actually seen it yet but they didn't think it was possible to cut the pipes and join them. Hence they said, basically it's a body off job.

How would I go about finding someone who was able to cut and splice them (Hertfordshire)? Is there a standard/good place to make the cut, you mention above the exhaust, so removal of exhausts is a minimum? I imagine it would save a lot of cost and time to try this as a first step. We've had the 2007 car (GS) from new and body removal sounds like it brings risk of further issues as well...

Post #23473027th Sep 2023 8:31 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Hi SamR,
I don’t know of a garage offhand. But joining pipes is not something that is unallowable Laughing Car needs to be quite highly jacked up and supported at the rear, rear wheels off, exhaust system off from front of centre silencer preferably, heat shield above silencer off.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The rearmost flexi and steel pipes on the rear suspension arms can be bought from advanced factors. Not sure if buying the complete steel pipes and cutting them to suit would be viable if you didn’t want to make your own up. I chose copper nickel, because I didn’t want to have to do this again, and steel ones will undoubtedly corrode again, although they probably would have outlasted my D3 Laughing
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years. 

Last edited by DN on 7th Sep 2023 9:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23473057th Sep 2023 8:49 pm
SamR

Thanks DN
Awesome Job!

Post #23473087th Sep 2023 9:25 pm
SamR

Hi DN, that advice was a life saver. My mechanic sorted it by splicing new brake pipe like you showed. Thank you so much. I owe you a beer! Im happy to make a small donation to a charity of your choice? 👍

Post #234846421st Sep 2023 8:28 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Hi SamR. Really glad you got it sorted Thumbs Up Would you be happy making a small donation to this site ? Entirely up to you. Many thanks.👍
Post #234846621st Sep 2023 9:07 am
SamR

Hi DN, great suggestion. That’s done ☑️ 👍

Post #234879726th Sep 2023 11:54 am
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

anybody know what size the pipe/fittings are? I see many different are listed.

Post #234880026th Sep 2023 1:20 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

3/16” pipe and 3/16” metric (M10 x1mm thread) fittings are used. The rearmost flares are DIN type. Where I joined the old and new pipes, I used a 3/16 joint with SAE type connectors, so had to use SAE flares there. If DIN joints/ connectors are available, ( they didn’t have them, where I bought from), you could of course use DIN flares here instead.
Post #234880126th Sep 2023 3:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >