DISCO3.CO.UK > General

New here! Agonising on whether to trade my beloved Disco 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Disco4Danny

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
New here! Agonising on whether to trade my beloved Disco 4

Hi all

I've only just registered, but have been a keen reader of the posts of this site for a long time.

Currently in a huge dilemma, grateful for any thoughts or similar experiences.

I have a 2011 Disco 4 which I have owned from new and is my absolute pride and joy, immaculately cared for and cherished. I ordered the XS spec (because I prefer the more robust grained leather to the HSE Windsor) and spec-ed it up: signature lights, seat pack, sunroof, privacy glass, rear camera, side steps, A-Glaze, Trackstar. Baltic blue with almond/nutmeg leather interior.

Me and my German Shepherd (a tall chap, for whom I bought the car) adore this car. But we are on 80k miles and all-too-soon approaching the 'cliffface' of 100k miles when I can no longer take out the LR Extended warranty. Plus the next service is the cam-belt body-off change which (and I know this is irrational) terrifies me - my analogy is to pulling apart a Corgi car as a kid, its never the same afterwards.

All of which is nudging towards me reluctantly trading up (or down?) to a Disco 5. Whatever LR say about cubic litres etc, the usuable boot capacity for my dog is significantly less. We have the custom-sized Lintran cage in our Disco 4 and the Lintran custom-sized cage for a Disco 5 is about 30-40% smaller.

The Disco 5 is indeed a lovely car and, had I been in any car other than a Disco 4, I'm sure I'd already be in a Disco 5. But coming from a Disco 4 is such a wrench.

Am I being completely irrational in my fear about being on my own (without LR extended warranty) after 100k miles? Objectively, I have serviced and cared for my car religiously, so have given myself every chance/expectation of many years of happy motoring after 100k miles...but I know that luck doesn't work that way.

Grateful for any views on life in a Disco 4 after 100k miles without extended warranty, and/or experiences on those who have traded up to a Disco 5 (although I suppose I need to be on the Disco 5 forum for this).

Thanks!
Danny

Post #18547256th Sep 2017 12:09 pm
bimblephish

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

How much extra will a D5 cost you and how much maintenance will that buy on your D4?

Post #18547276th Sep 2017 12:12 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I have traded up from several D3/4's and love the D5. Yes the boot is narrower at the top but wider at the bottom. I have done several camping trips in the D5 now and some with the caravan as well. All have been using the same gear as in the D4's and had no issues with lack of space. Further more I have also picked up and moved a number of white goods including fridges and washing machines, again with no issues.
My advice would be to get one on an extended test drive or even over a weekend and see ho the dog gets on in the back, my guess is there will be no issues.
the only thing I am not sure of is if you have a cage and how that would fit, but I guess LR have already covered this and may have a purpose designed cage for the D5
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #18547296th Sep 2017 12:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

cam belts are not a body off!
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #18547336th Sep 2017 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco4Danny

Hey all, thanks for the fast replies

mea culpa, I meant timing belt not cam belt...

I have been tracking the Disco 5 since it was first conceived, and knew someone at JLR who gave me an inside track on its release date etc. It sure is a lovely car, but its no Disco 4. As for the boot/cage, you're right that the 5 is slighty wider and the pitch more or less the same, but its the height/slope where the cage would lose 30-40%. My Lintram Disco 4 cage is 35 inches high and even beyond the roof of the cage, theres another 4-5 inches before you hit the glass roof i.e. total height of Disco 4 is 39-40inches. Total height of Disco 5 is 35 inches max, and to access that I'd have to get a 'giraffe box' cage (roofless).

I actually have had my order form for the Disco 5 sat infront of me for the past fortnight. Montalcino Red, black pack, SE for the almond leather (curiously only available on the SE; the HSE Nimbus looks and feels like plastic IMO!), full sunroof, privacy, rear cam etc...but every time I pick upthe pen to sign the order form I feel unsure. Would hate to spent £50k+ and end up missing my D4....

Post #18547396th Sep 2017 12:31 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The body does not need to be removed for any of the belts to be changed. (in particular the rear fuel belt)

I would keep it a while long until you can no longer get warranty or things start to go wrong

Post #18547436th Sep 2017 12:39 pm
Dave T

England 

you could also try warranty direct rather than the LR one which is run by others anyway
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #18547476th Sep 2017 12:49 pm
Sheepy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I've just had my belts done on my '10 plate D4 by an indi recommended to me. Wasn't cheap, but boy is the car a dream to drive now. Sounds just like it would have done when brand new! Even the wife has commented on how much smoother and more powerful it feels now!!

Post #18547496th Sep 2017 12:52 pm
Disco4Danny

confused.com

Stratstone Nottingham (who I use for servicing after living 6 months in Notts last year, far better than any London dealer and in particular the utterly useless Grange Barnet) repeatedly say timing belt is a body off job... although an independent garage who I casually chatted to did say that they can do it
Click image to enlarge

without taking body off but its a tough and fiddly job. Which sounds like LR Main Dealers take the body off as they have the lifts to do it and it makes the change easier?

TBH, all this kind of deliberation nudges me towards trading for a new car. I've worked out that keeping the Disco 4 another year would make the cost of change about £10k more than now (in terms of further expenditure on D4, loss of PX value and sweet deal I have negotiated on the 5 for now).

Thanks Russell for your post on changing 4 to 5. Anyone changed 4 to 5 but find themselves lamenting the 4 (in particular, the space)

Post #18547506th Sep 2017 12:53 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Pete

the amount of garages that told me the body had to come off to replace that rear belt , or others said it never needs doing

until i learnt about the wizards Geoff and Flack who done all my belts, they really showed the garages up in there superior expertise Bow down

Post #18547516th Sep 2017 12:53 pm
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I've been out in my MY11 D4 with 113k miles three times today and, every time I do, I still get the same feeling I did when I first bought it.

Yes, I've had the arms/bushes and inlet manifolds done more times than I care to remember recently, and yes the belts were expensive when done too, but swap it for a D5, not me guv!!!!

Look after it and it'll look after you and your GS.

I like my old girl and I'm sticking with her for a long time to come...I hope!!!! Laughing

Thumbs Up
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Last edited by alfamale on 6th Sep 2017 1:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18547566th Sep 2017 1:03 pm
alfamale

Forgot to say, I was with Warranty Direct until recently and only changed to Motor Easy because they would continue to warranty the suspension parts and a couple of other items, something WD refused.

Apart from that, both seemed happy to continue with me despite the mileage and age.

Thumbs Up
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #18547576th Sep 2017 1:05 pm
Disco4Danny

Thanks again all for your insightful comments.

gstuart, who are these indi wizards who did your belts, and where are they based, pleased? very disconcerting that main dealers seem so zealous to pull apart the car if this isn't actually needed.

and alfamale, I did try Warranty Direct but Im sure that I wasn't eligible when I plugged in hypothetical details. If I can get a warranty beyond 100k miles/10 years, then its a no brainer for me to keep the D4.... Will try Motor Easy

Like I said, coming from any other car or brand other than a D4, the D5 would be a no-brainer...

Click image to enlarge

Post #18547666th Sep 2017 1:24 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

WD will go up to 120K as a minimum

I got charged £550 for all three belts last year - and the body didn't budge.

Ultimately, its your decision - I'm sticking with my D4 (108K, 7 1/2 years old from new) as I'm saving for early retirement and I don't want a 4 year commitment on a car that would be way OTT for me when I retire, if the D5 was launched a few years ago, I would have changed.

I just pray my D4 doesn't implode before we both wander off into the sunset

Last edited by adam on 6th Sep 2017 1:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18547676th Sep 2017 1:27 pm
alfamale

SecureCare with WD states 10 years and 100k as max, but they will budge on this, especially the mileage.

Like I said, the only reason I moved is because of the suspension cover. WD never let me down otherwise.

Post #18547686th Sep 2017 1:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >