Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

New here! Agonising on whether to trade my beloved Disco 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

+1 for Warranty Direct. Wear and tear repairs to my front wheel bearings have paid for the policy this year.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #18547726th Sep 2017 1:42 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Disco4Danny I will be in a similar situation to you this time next year, main reason for us cancelling our d5 order is the size of the load space and our dogs (ones a great dane), in practical terms the D5 is just too small compared to the D4. We tried all our dogs in a D5 the other week and they would not fit Sad

swmbo saying she wants to keep the D4 until something comes along of a similar size and I need to find a new daily drive. I swore i would never keep another D3/4 past warranty ever again but it looks like I may well have too!
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #18547816th Sep 2017 1:57 pm
SGH

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

+1 for Warranty Direct had cover on my two previous D3's and will go with them when my D4 LR cover expires.
 Defender 300Tdi 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montalcino Red/Black Pack - Gone
Connect L2 Double Cab - Moondust Silver
Connect L1 - Moondust Silver
VW California Ocean 150PS DSG - Reflex Silver 

Post #18547866th Sep 2017 2:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco4Danny

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks once again all

Had a quick browse and indeed looks like there are some warranty options out there
- WD up to 12 years/120,000 miles (but I'm sure bthat when I searched a few months ago it was limited to 10yrs/100k??)
- MotorEasy 15 years/150,000 miles

which is a gamechanger, if I can secure warranty cover then I'm sure keeping my fab 4. I'm still only on 80,000 miles and will therefore be able to squeeze in one more year of LR Extended Warranty cover (I called them a while back, and they confirmed that as long as the mileage is sub-100k at the time of policy renewal then you can get the cover for the whole year I..e the cover won't lapse once you tick over 100k). The issue with the LREW is that you need main dealer service history to keep it up...which slightly weds me to Stratstone for the timing belt service.

But, in case I can find a way around it wich allows me to use an independent to do the belts and still maintain the LREW, can you good folks give me some contact details of the Indis would have served you so well for belts? I'm in London so in or around South East would be best, but also spent a great deal of time in Liverpool.

Anyone used Brookfields indi in High Barnet?

As for the forthcoming timin

Post #18547906th Sep 2017 2:17 pm
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I got a deal on the belts at Stratstone (albeit the Cheltenham dealer) when I had mine done for £999 all-in.

I wouldn't use them now for other reasons, but it's worth asking your local $tealer if there's a deal to be done!

Thumbs Up
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #18547946th Sep 2017 2:29 pm
Dave Shirley

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just look at the high mileage chart on this site and you will see that vehicles are capable of very high mileages but only if maintained correctly and it sounds like you are a " belt and braces " man in this respect. Keep the D4 as I reckon the D5 looks too soft and feeble and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it has a chassis but is monocoque constructed. Just my opinion for what it's worth, my D3 is still going strong at 12 years of age.......................hope that not the kiss of death I've just given it.
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #18547976th Sep 2017 2:48 pm
James W

Saudi Arabia 

Disco4Danny wrote:
I'm in London so in or around South East would be best, but also spent a great deal of time in Liverpool.

If you have it done up here I would guess prices will be lower. I had a 72 month service done at Ian Barclay, Rock Ferry for around £350. I also had my 'big' 7 year service done (inc. belts) by Taylors 4x4, Tattenhall, Chester, for around £760

Taylors even picked the vehicle up, left me a (admittedly minging) Freelander to use for the day and dropped it off again having given it a very perfunctory wash. Nice guys, I was told the main guy there is ex-LR tech

Both were to dealer spec, genuine parts and suitable for warranty cover. I was previously covered by WD but am now covered by Motor Easy.

Would recommend either garage. Although Ian Barclay's 7 Year service quote was higher. But worth considering.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #18547996th Sep 2017 3:03 pm
Disco4Danny

Thanks for the NW tips James, much appreciated, will look into that. Did either/both dealers indicate that they can change the belts without body off?

The more I hear about belts, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that the timing belt change is perfectly doable but a lot of elbow grease which the independents are willing to do (and don't have the lifts for body off) but the main dealers have the lifts for body off and this makes it a bit less painful for them to do the work (but not less painful for the car which is ripped apart!!!).

And, yep, no expense spared in looking after my Disco. Whenever there has been a smidgen of doubt or wear on a part, I've changed it without hesitation (although the almost yearly spend of c.£700 on brakes is getting wearisome, I am getting little more than 20k miles out of a set and have told various dealers to check if there is undue friction somewhere causing this premature wear, but they've all said no).

Very glad to have finally joined this D4 online community and tapped into all of your good wisdom and advice, thanks to everyone.

Post #18548086th Sep 2017 4:09 pm
James W

Saudi Arabia 

Many mechanics and garages change the belts without removing the body these days, I've not heard of any impacts other than reduced labour costs.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #18548146th Sep 2017 4:31 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I had my 7 year service done at a Dealers. Hunters/Guava in Peaslake.

No body off, no fuss. Thumbs Up

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #18548156th Sep 2017 4:34 pm
Oiley

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've done my belts on d3 it took all of 4 .5 hrs in total to do same as d4 almost . Smile

Post #18548166th Sep 2017 4:34 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Disco4Danny wrote:
Thanks again all for your insightful comments.

gstuart, who are these indi wizards who did your belts, and where are they based, pleased? very disconcerting that main dealers seem so zealous to pull apart the car if this isn't actually needed.

and alfamale, I did try Warranty Direct but Im sure that I wasn't eligible when I plugged in hypothetical details. If I can get a warranty beyond 100k miles/10 years, then its a no brainer for me to keep the D4.... Will try Motor Easy

Like I said, coming from any other car or brand other than a D4, the D5 would be a no-brainer...

Click image to enlarge

hi

Did find when i was first looking , of garages that kept insisting the body had to be removed , as we all know at huge expense to us and not required ref the belts

flack and geoff are members of this forum , geoff. ( with the dot at the end of his name ) is based in kent

they travel round the country and are professional mechanics repairing forum members discos , gearbox flushes , belts , etc , etc

Can't recommend them enough , extremely knowledgeable on everything discovery and what they don't know isn't worth knowing

flack
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-flack.html

Geoff.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-geoff.html

Post #18548296th Sep 2017 5:35 pm
Disco4Danny

Thank you so much for letting me into the Geoff. And Flack circle of trust:) will make contact.

Really depressing to learn tgat main dealers are so insistent that timing belt is a "body off job" when its now clear to me thar it isnt.

Sorry to be lazy and ask (at work so cant refer ti my D4 service book) but theyve only mentioned the timimg belt as beimg due at 7 years/84k. These other 'rear belts' mentioned on this forum are news to me. Are they something that can be done all at the same time (happy to do so it it lessens the jumber of surgical operations (!) on my D4 and even if some of the other bekts stil have lufe in them).

An earluer post mentioned doing 3 belts at the same time for £550

This afternons forum has given plemty of food for thought. One thing is clear: signing that Disco 5 order form is firmly on hold:)

Btw, attached photo suows just why Disco 4 headroom so essential for us...the cage is custom made to be the macimum that can fit through the boot opening. Thr equivalent custom cage for D5 would be 12cm lower in height

Post #18548486th Sep 2017 6:39 pm
gstuart

Hi disco

ur very welcome , would rather recommend flack and geoff as u know 100% they know what there doing

mines a D3 so being totally honest don't know what the D4 belt replacement schedule is , flack and geoff. are the experts that can advise u better and will let u know what's what ref ur D4

on mines it's 105,000 miles or 7 x years which ever comes first

i had the following done

Front & Rear Belts
New Front Idler Pulleys x2
Front & Rear Tensioners & Bolts
Oil Pump Casing
Crankshaft Bolt
Oil Casing Oil seal
New Water Pump
Aux Belt
Antifreeze.

rear belt is for the fuel pump

agree ref dealers and garages insisting the body has to come off, found this forum invaluable as i assumed that was required but soon also learnt that wasn't the case

Fantastic pic of the dog , when i bought my Disco the dogs quickly made them selves comfortable on the middle seat Whistle

Post #18548526th Sep 2017 7:12 pm
gstuart

Disco4Danny wrote:
Thank you so much for letting me into the Geoff. And Flack circle of trust:) will make contact.

Really depressing to learn tgat main dealers are so insistent that timing belt is a "body off job" when its now clear to me thar it isnt.

Sorry to be lazy and ask (at work so cant refer ti my D4 service book) but theyve only mentioned the timimg belt as beimg due at 7 years/84k. These other 'rear belts' mentioned on this forum are news to me. Are they something that can be done all at the same time (happy to do so it it lessens the jumber of surgical operations (!) on my D4 and even if some of the other bekts stil have lufe in them).

An earluer post mentioned doing 3 belts at the same time for £550

This afternons forum has given plemty of food for thought. One thing is clear: signing that Disco 5 order form is firmly on hold:)

Btw, attached photo suows just why Disco 4 headroom so essential for us...the cage is custom made to be the macimum that can fit through the boot opening. Thr equivalent custom cage for D5 would be 12cm lower in height

hi

just found this service sheet for the D4

says to replace front and rear belts

link is below the pic for the complete service sheet

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...20MY10.pdf

Post #18548556th Sep 2017 7:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >