Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

it locks it to the hole where the starter motor goes

Post #183815818th Jul 2017 5:38 pm
Compusmentis

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The pin goes through the engine side of the bell-housing (take the starter out to gain access), and then into the flywheel.
 New gearbox & TC, 3 x front wheel bearings, belts changed, new oil pump, new battery, new rear prop, new front prop, new front diff, front arb refurbed, front cv boot kit, egr blank and BAS software patch, full rear suspension / drivelive rebuild, new front arms, LED trailer light fix, split charge.
Never had a 107, 90 or 127, but have had most of the rest! 

Post #183826218th Jul 2017 9:25 pm
DerrekL

United Kingdom 

ah yes of course.. thanks. It wasn't until I hit 'Submit' on my last question that the penny dropped Thumbs Up

Post #183844019th Jul 2017 9:55 am
annette

Costa Rica 

DerrekL wrote:
gilesharrison, given DM advice regarding the correct timing hole being the one that has clear flattened sides. Is this the only hole in the flywheel that you can say has this 'flattened sides' feature? Thumbs Up

thank you.. that really made my day
 Fixing LR problems very far from Solihull.
That's why my newest car is a 1999 Disco 2 V8 with 285.000 miles

The problem is the missing documentation, not the LR 

Post #19434228th May 2018 3:37 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

gilesharrison wrote:
I think everyone who uses this forum is well aware that everything that is written is not gospel. I agree that it's the OPs choice as to whether or not to act on any advice offered. I am very grateful for the assistance offered and I wouldn't want anyone to avoid assisting for fear of making mistakes.

Anyway, I've been looking at pictures of flexplates. There appear to be lots of different designs.

I've attached a photo which a believe is the same as mine. I've labelled (with letters) the four torque converter bolt holes. There are then a number of other holes labelled with numbers. I think I'm looking at setting the timing pin in either hole 1 or 2.

For reference, the car is a 2005 2.7 TDV6, UK spec, auto.

Doing this now and i see from this pic that hole number 1 is the only one that will line up with the locking tool and the others are too close to the ring gear so must be for balancing.
Read that the hole has 2 flat sides but not according to this or on my flywheel.

Post #21709581st Sep 2020 7:04 am
DR

Ireland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto ArubaDiscovery 4
D4 timing mess

Hi

Firstly, thank you to everyone on here - you have helped me keep four Discoverys on the road at a much more affordable price point.

Now to my mess ...

I am currently doing my fourth belt replacement but is has not gone according to plan.

Before removing the old timing belt, I inserted the two camshaft pins - the left side (from the driver's seat) seemed to locate correctly, but the right side seemed to be hitting air behind the belt.

I decided to proceed carefully, replaced the belt- as close as I could to the original position, but after rebuild, it would crank but not start - tested two full manual rotations without problem - I figured a timing issue so back to the drawing board.

This time I removed the starter (I had never had to lock the flywheel on previous jobs (2 x LR3 & 1 x LR4)) - when I removed the belt I tried to find the correct locking points for the camshafts. As before, the left seems to have a clear receptacle for the pin, the right not so much - I set it where the pin went deepest - on rebuilt - the manual crank locks - I have tried it three time, most recently having rotated the two camshaft for the final attempt - but no joy.

I clearly have the crankshaft and the cam shafts out of sync at this stage despite following everything I can find online.

is there anyone out there prepared to have a quick chat to help me out - I would be much obliged

I am in Dublin Ireland - thank so much
 Disco 4 MY16
Disco3 my07 - gone 

Post #23638357th Mar 2024 7:03 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I can’t talk on the phone. But.

You need to look with a mirror or video phone at the cam locking holes. To see what’s going on
There is a clear hole for the pins. If you get it slightly off, it will just rest on the side of the casting and feel ok.

On one side you need to have a spanner on the cam bolt to push against the spring resistance to get it correct and in the hole.

It must be quite bad/off if your getting a clash on manual cranking

Post #23638638th Mar 2024 7:34 am
DR

many thanks Pete

I will try that this morning and let you know
 Disco 4 MY16
Disco3 my07 - gone 

Post #23638648th Mar 2024 8:08 am
DR

Hi Pete

That worked - I found the correct locators and the belt is on and turning freely, and the pins line up every two rotations of the flywheels

It will take me at least a day to rebuild everything I have pulled apart - but I will post again at that stage - thanks again
 Disco 4 MY16
Disco3 my07 - gone 

Post #23638738th Mar 2024 9:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >