Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

My New D4 & Third Party Warranty Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I think im going to extend my WD direct cover today.

If I do for 3 years, its £658/year, no betterment, Extra Care for next 3 years, which importantly covers the main issues like Split inlet manifolds, snapped cranks/new engine etc, suspension wearing out or compressor, crankshaft sensor etc, turbos etc.

Its hard to know what to do really, but its easy to run up a £600 bill in a year so with that in mind, as well as piece of mind, I "think" its worth doing!

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #180314713th Apr 2017 11:13 am
Sloss

Scotland 

Isn't that where WD's Betterment clause comes in though?

I can't see you buying a car with well worn suspension, buying a Warranty then claiming for full repairs and getting it.

As I said I buy a warranty for the 'Big One' - anything else that gets done is fine Thumbs Up
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #180314913th Apr 2017 11:18 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

robpenrose wrote:

If I do for 3 years, its £658/year, no betterment, Extra Care for next 3 years, which importantly covers the main issues like Split inlet manifolds, snapped cranks/new engine etc, suspension wearing out or compressor, crankshaft sensor etc, turbos etc.

Its hard to know what to do really, but its easy to run up a £600 bill in a year so with that in mind, as well as piece of mind, I "think" its worth doing!

Make sure you get "air bags and emissions" extension to cover the inlet manifold. Thumbs Up

Post #180315013th Apr 2017 11:20 am
robpenrose

What do you mean? WD extra care includes wear and tear. The only caveat to that is that you cant claim for wear and tear in first 3 months. Ive had my policy for a year so it just carries on.

I had a claim last year at MOT time for a worn rear arm bush, which was replaced at my LR dealer with WD paying fore the claim.

Post #180315113th Apr 2017 11:22 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Sloss wrote:
Isn't that where WD's Betterment clause comes in though?

I can't see you buying a car with well worn suspension, buying a Warranty then claiming for full repairs and getting it.

As I said I buy a warranty for the 'Big One' - anything else that gets done is fine Thumbs Up

Wear & tear is excluded for the first 90 days, unless it's coming straight for a warranty. Thereafter it's all covered. Thumbs Up

Post #180315413th Apr 2017 11:22 am
robpenrose

DSL wrote:
robpenrose wrote:

Make sure you get "air bags and emissions" extension to cover the inlet manifold. Thumbs Up

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. Ive had that since last year and getting it again. Its worth it for the inlet manifold alone I reckon Thumbs Up

Post #180315513th Apr 2017 11:23 am
DSL

Ukraine 

What I found when I took out the warranty for the D4 is that "extras" (airbags & emissions and hifi/satnav) were three years for the price of two. ISTR. That's the time to haggle things in. :thumbs up

And deffo make sure "no betterment" is in there.

Post #180315613th Apr 2017 11:27 am
James W

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Wear & tear is excluded for the first 90 days, unless it's coming straight for a warranty. Thereafter it's all covered. Thumbs Up

I know I have a love/hate relationship with WD I'm always inclined to post my thouhgts on these threads for an all-round view.

I know they continue to get some people out of some very big holes but the costs can still mount-up.

1. They played the wear-and-tear clause on me on a valve that suddenly and completely failed and it took me nearly a year and an ombudsman claim before they finally took the cost off my renewal to appease me. I still have a phone call recording I obtained of them putting words in the LR garage's mouth to suit their claim dismissal.

2. They wouldn't accept Land Rover warranty as a 'previous warranty' on this clause so watch out for that

3. For day-to-day stuff (i.e. not catastrophic) I'm still out of pocket over the three years massively. They've only paid out for new suspension arms and bushes but they charge an excess on BOTH sides so times you're out £50 times two, and then with the 30% I have to cover, I'm still £230 out of pocket. The overall cost of this one common repair was about the same as my annual fee so if I might as well just paid it. This is all I've ever really had off them.

4. I'm an easy-going guy but I find their staff go from very friendly and helpful to quite condescending and aggressive when pushed/if you disagree with them - very quickly.

Just my experiences over three years. I wish I'd started a slush fund instead with the money I've given them but it's too late now. Will I renew? Begrudgingly, yes. I'm hoping I will come to thank god I had the cover one day. I know they're a business not a charity but I think like any insurance product - buyer beware, and check the small print.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #180316413th Apr 2017 11:39 am
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

DrRobH wrote:
Scott #55 wrote:
Just got the 2-year extended warranty plus LR Assistance for wife's Evoque. Cost was £800..

I thought they only did it for 12months at a time unless you buy an Approved Used vehicle which then comes with 2 years as part of the package i.e. you shouldn't need to buy it separately.
Did you buy the Evoque from a main LR dealer under their Approved Used scheme?

Censored . Thought it was 2. I'd still have got it to give SWMBO peace of mind.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #180318213th Apr 2017 12:45 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

robpenrose wrote:

I have the same mindset as you. Its like any insurance (other than car). You decide on your risk and insure accordingly. If your house never burns down, you are out house insurance costs etc etc. We probably all have comprehensive insurance even though we only need third party.

Your price seems good to me. Just make sure your mileage limit is acceptable and you can get the work done at the labour costs covered by your policy.

Post #180319013th Apr 2017 1:16 pm
KVW

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Bit the bullet and just negotiated a 25 month WD deal for my Disco with 50k mileage. Luxury cover (inc. ICE etc.) with betterment clause removed. Payable in full over the next 4 quarters @ no extra charge, so equivalent to £678 p.a. I'm pleased with that as I don't technically meet their top cover level criteria given the vehicle's age - it was registered late 2011. Thanks everyone for your advice! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 D4 MY2012 SDV6 HSE
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2.7 CRD MY2003 - Gone
D1 MY1994 V8i ES - Gone 

Post #180706923rd Apr 2017 5:41 pm
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Just spoken to WD as my LuxuryCare cover is due for renewal in July.

The car is now six years old and has covered 111k miles.

I can no longer be covered for aircon and suspension and will drop to their SecureCare cover. I will however retain the no betterment and hifi, airbags and emissions cover will be rolled on from the previous policy too.

Initial quote was £799.00 and, after a period where he went away to make a coffee and smoke a dooby, he came back with £709.00/year.

Not having suspension covered is a real problem for me but, that said, I have just replaced the front lower arms and bushes with SuperPro, so hope they're going to last a lot longer than the twelve months for the previous dealer-fit LR ones.

Apparently they really won't budge on SecureCare.

Dum de dum....what to do.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #182867920th Jun 2017 10:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >