DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Questions on: AU spec tow sockets/12S plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Questions on: AU spec tow sockets/12S plugs

G'Day,
Does anyone actually have the official LR wiring diagram for the tow wiring fitted to AU delivered vehicles?
Does it include the detail of where the harnesses run (right up to the front of the vehicle) etc?

Does anyone know where to get a 12S plug (the white one) in AU?

Evidently some specs come with trailer brake wiring in situ, but I don't think that includes AU. Anyone got a different view?

Thanks
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #2206993rd Nov 2007 10:22 am
catweasel

PM me an email address. no detail or harness location though
12S plug

Haggis wrote:
Evidently some specs come with trailer brake wiring in situ, but I don't think that includes AU. Anyone got a different view?
septics get one haven't heard of it in Oz. see couple of posts up on this thread to see how I did it. I have had no issues at all.  
Post #2208734th Nov 2007 12:15 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Does this help?

may not be the one you are looking for.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2210585th Nov 2007 12:40 am
Haggis

Catweasel,
Thanks. I saw the post with your installation, and have had a chat with Tril in an effort to find the controller plug. Came ot the conclusion not included in AU spec vehicles. Sad

I am still interested in the wiring diagrams for what we do have. I am thinking about using the white 12S socket for some of the intended functions (fridge, permanent power) if it is actually suitably wired in AU spec vehicles and I can get a 12S plug to match it. I did a bit of a WWW search and couldn't find it in any of the locally available product catalogs. Confused

CaverD3,
Thanks for the pin-outs. I had them and was more interested in getting the matching 12S plug to fit the LR fitted socket...

Regards
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #2211375th Nov 2007 11:01 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Haggis - I used this diagram (refer link to my gallery) when getting my car wired up for a Bushtracker van. Also used Catweasel's diagram to locate the wires but I am not sure if the PDF link below will help.

PDF - Exterior Lighting

Pages 13 and 14 refer to the trailer sockets.

I am not an electrician but couldn't a normal large 7 pin plug be modified to suit the LR white one by changing certain pins in the plug to male/female?
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #2211935th Nov 2007 1:00 pm
catweasel

12s plug

Post #2211985th Nov 2007 1:20 pm
BUDDA1

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Try buying one from any authorised Land Rover Dealer ! Part number is RAA927

Post #24592216th Jan 2008 6:27 am
BUDDA1

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Oh and RRP is $14.95 Very Happy

Post #24592316th Jan 2008 6:28 am
Haggis

Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up 'rewiring' the black socket to match AU specs (ie the electric brakes, and all the tail/marker lights on a single pin). It turned out pretty simple really since once you remove the socket from the vehicle you can dig out the sealant easily, rewire it, and refill with hot melt glue. For the electric brakes I decided to run a new cable from controller to socket and as many of you know this is relatively simple given the presence of a cable channel along the inside of each sill in the vehicle.

I am still undecided about what to do with the white socket. It does have (although I haven't measured it) a permanent 12v and a switched 12v. I was considering using the switched one to keep the TVan battery topped up while driving (along with the solar panel on the TVan). This would be the neatest solution (using the white socket and not needing an Anderson plug mounted), but I suspect the LR internal wiring is small diameter and therefore very limited. On the other hand wiring the TVan batteries into the existing auxilary battery setup on the vehicle is less tidy, but probably more practical. It would also keep the auxilaries charge via the solar panel when stopped.

What have others done?

Regards
Haggis
Post #2572239th Feb 2008 1:20 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Haggis,
Why didn't you replace the UK spec black plug with a 7-pin flat? (Or don't you have a 7-pin flat on your A-van).

Re the sill channel: I wasn't aware that it existed, but am pleased to hear of it. Where did you route the wiring after the sill?

Best Wishes,
Peter

Post #2572539th Feb 2008 7:51 am
Haggis

Bushwanderer,
My TVan was originally delivered in Victoria and is fitted with a large round 7 pin plug (same shape and size as the standard LR socket). the only difference was the pin outs. I was going to change the TVan to match the vehicle as it would of been easier, but since I had to install the electric brakes anyway I thought it made more sense to modify the LR to the AU spec pinouts. I reckon that even if the TVan had something other than the 7 pin large round plug I would of changed it over to match the LR supplied kit. Much neater in the long run.

The sill channel runs along the inside of both sides of the vehicle. To get to it you need to remove the plastic step panels and peel back the carpet. Removal of the panels is possible without busting the clips, but care is required. At the front of the vehicle there is a small kick panel in each footwell that is also removable. Behind it are a multitude of connectors and relays. There are pathways from here to behind the dash and to places to get through the firewall. If you follow the LR wiring rearwards you will see where it goes. Use the left hand channel to run the electric brake cable since this is the same side the LR trailer wiring sits. You will be able to pull the extra wire through the grommet to outside of the rear of the vehicle, most probably it will need some lubricant to get it through.

Regards
Haggis

Last edited by Haggis on 16th Feb 2008 2:25 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2575529th Feb 2008 11:43 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Unnecessary Quote Removed

Hi Haggis,
Many Thanks,
Peter

Post #25757710th Feb 2008 4:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: