Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Respected motoring journalists take on the D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

More like MrH's companion in the desert!! As Tony will testify! Laughing Laughing

Post #178979510th Mar 2017 8:42 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Got my next LR lined up, my folks' new D4 Landmark. Whistle Whistle

Assuming LR can get their elbow out of their ar.se and get the heating system sorted out. Thumbs Up

Heating system on the D5 is really good I mean really really good Mr. Green

Sorry Del couldn't resist Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #178981110th Mar 2017 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Shhhhhhhh, don't say that. The gremlin's will hear. Whistle Whistle

If the Landmark is a no-go will have my present D4. As long as the crank is not in two pieces. Whistle Whistle

Post #178981410th Mar 2017 9:20 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Re: Another view...

BLFarrar wrote:
Russell wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:
"Yes"
But the question in the thread didn't mention that...
I may read reviews....but I don't have or have to have my opinion made up for me......

Maybe those who have bought a D5 or are going to will have thier egos boosted if they read a review that's not negative...maybe.....
..but as said before I feel really sorry for those who have to buy a D5 because it's the esteem thing to do or what's expected of them......

Even though in (not just) my opinion the D5 is far from ideal in critical areas ....like providing comfort for passengers. Fundamental stuff for a lifestyle vehicle that's meant to carry passengers..

Note: Others on here have said the just the same as I have....

You clearly do not like the D5 and that's great because we are all allowed our own opinions
However please don't tar me with your view "ego boasted esteemed thing" I buy a car because I like it and because I work hard in two jobs which allows me to be fortunate enough to change my car if I want to.
Had I not brought a D5 I would probably have brought an XC90 twin engine for a change
As for posting in here people want to see about the new car and hear what it is like and there are things which aren't as good as the D4 but at no time have I forced my opinion on others or tried to belittle or be nasty about them because they do not share my view or because they are not in a position to afford one. As far as I am concerned anyone who has a Land Rover is cut from the same cloth and will always earn my respect

No - I don't like the D5 at all - not because it's clearly different to look at "the style" thing it's because it won't do what I need which is:
carrying at least four maybe five passengers in realistic comfort at least once or twice per week.....a fundamental feature.
carry bulky loads ...... usually every week without hiring a van.
tow trailers usually every two weeks.....large ones.

About a year ago "we" all glimpsed at spy shots, prototype vehicles at car shows, what we saw at Gaydon....we all wondered about suicide hinged the wrong way rear doors.....the non split tailgate wasn't spoken about till it became evident (from pictures) it wasn't.
I say we (which may be a mistake or an assumption) that most on here have a D3/4 & the vast majority revere the vehicle even with the odd fault or design oversight....a common set of thoughts & to an extent values.

The odd person said it was tired, needed streamlining, was out of date - which ten years in to the model life the vehicle clearly wasn't "new" & was to be replaced by what we hoped built on what was there that was good & improved or eliminated the not so good......more economy, a lighter vehicle etc etc

What wasn't realised was LR have re-thought the whole thing to be what we needed or wanted....more a people carrier than its predecessor at the expense of quite a lot....seven seats isn't a prime feature for most D3/4 was a 5 + 2...The two being quite usable for adult sized adults.

What's appeared as the D5 isn't to a lot of people's liking using the "looks" of the vehicle which now is more conformist.....being honest it's an amalgam of lots of vehicles "style".....not a factor high on my list...in fact not on my list at all
The function of the vehicle is to me (at least) paramount....this specific vehicle hasn't got to make a statement......it's a utility vehicle.

Yes - I would have been considering renewing my brilliant D3 if the replacement was a viable option, but leaving the well named "wonky-arsed" style out of the consideration equation - considering what the vehicle had to do - the D5 isn't on "a"or "the" list, to me it's all about function.

Personally I would never order an unseen vehicle (well before it was launched or seen properly) in fact I wouldn't buy anything unseen....always a risk but in a vehicle case could be a huge expensive avoidable mistake. I could buy (cash) far more costly vehicle but don't - primarily because I (me) doesn't want or need to.

Russell.....I too work hard in one job, so the funds I have are finite, I have been frivolous in other areas like having a mid life crisis sports car that is indulgent, useless in winter weather, not built for more than two people & minimal luggage.....but thats me (alongside many others on here & not on here). I'll leave out expensive wrist watches, up market coffee machines or real estate property.

I look at what others buy.....some smart purchases & some not so smart.
I didn't consider the D3 until it was well over the initial production / design / dealer imponderable support stage...."early adopters" are an extension of product testing but not with maker provided vehicles - vehicles bought by the customer ignoring "caveat emptor". I've only done this once with a Volvo that broke my heart with list of serious issues. Lesson learnt.
To me the D3/4 is in the same design icon league as the Jag E type, Citroên SM, SAAB 900 etc. Hard if not impossible to follow with replacement vehicles.

As I have said in this thread I feel sorry for those who have bought or are buying a D5 - they are getting early production run vehicles with far too small engines that are on a model that falls far short of what's gone before. These may be tough to sell on.
I don't have to post a picture of what I've bought for forum members to "ooh" & "arr" over, I don't have to justify it at the boozer, at work or the lodge or golf club. If someone likes what I buy & they see or just the opposite it doesn't alter my standing or boost my ego. I couldn't give a flying Censored .

But on an open forum (within the rules & bounds) it doesn't restrict me from making comment (if it's due or otherwise) sometime I will or may comments other time I may not. My choice.
If D5 owners, potential owners or afficinados take exception to this they will have to live with it - as for my needs a D5 isn't a smart option (or for that matter any option). If exception is taken by D5 owners or potential owners etc, it may be what I have highlighted as regards function is factual, but they disregard these very obvious factors preferring to be dazzled by "style", being an early adopter or something else.

Maybe the Defender replacement will fulfill my (& many others) needs. Let's hope function will dictate form with this vehicle.

Not sure what you are on or what car you have been driving but I wouldn't order a car without driving or seeing it either. In fact I got an invite along with a few others on here to go to Solihull and see the D5 in the flesh when it was launched, we also got the chance to go an view it being built and to look at the underpinnings without the panels applied. I then placed a fully refundable deposit to hold a car for me until the dealer vehicles were available to test drive, furthermore I still had the chance to get my deposit back if I did not like the deal on the table when my potential car arrived.

As for buying an early production model with too small engines for the model, mine has a 3lt engine that is actually more powerful than that in the D3 and the vehicle is actually lighter than the D3, so if that is too small what does that say about the D3, a car and engine you are happy with. On top of that I have a friend who has spent a lot of time working with the D5 in pre production, with the press and in launches all over and I have had a fair bit of incite into problems or lack of them that they have experienced during this time. Finally some one has to buy the first few models and looking back the first few D3's were some of the better ones.

I know the D5 is not for everyone but it suits me. Yes it is a new model and yes it may have teething problems but it is under warranty and I know that both my dealer and LR will look after me if these problems that you speak of do materialise.

As for posting pictures on the forum, it is not showing off or bragging it is what we all do, this may be our cars, our mods or something totally different such as a house/barn build. At the end of the day we all like to look at what others have, have done or are doing.

At the end of the day that is what we are on this forum for to share and learn from each other and if we do not like what others say or do we have the option to politely make "A" comment and leave it at that.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #178981710th Mar 2017 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I bought an early D3 and put up with the knuckle draggers even had a Jeep owner ask me why I bought such an ugly car. In a year or twos time when the fuss has dropped they'll all come out of the wood work and buy one. Russell post more pictures and reports, its good to hear and learn from for when I'm ready to change Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #178983510th Mar 2017 10:00 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Russell...

The only "thing I am on" currently is specific drugs for cancer...which I'm reliably told don't affect brain or other functions.
I drive the vehicles listed below...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 11th Mar 2017 12:32 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178983610th Mar 2017 10:01 pm
Phil

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Very well put Russell, I couldn't have said it better myself Thumbs Up
 Disco 5, it's not every man's desire, but a connoisseurs choice Smile  
Post #178984010th Mar 2017 10:05 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I was an early adopter of the D3 and I still have that original D3. My old bus does everything i could want a car to do. In my eyes the D4 didn't offer any advantage over the D3 in terms of usability or practicality, so I decided to keep it and wait for the D5.

I am very fortunate that I am a cash buyer. I know i am very lucky in what i'm able to do and what I choose to do.

My posts are well documented on this site and show how disappointed I was with the D5 and the marketing Censored coming from LR. The D5 is not as practical or as functional as a D3 / 4 and as far as my kids were concerned, the rear seats were poor.

Yes I know i've had fun prodding a few posts with a sharp stick, and saying my piece through frustration and disappointnent, but at the end of the day its down to the individual to buy what they like and want to fit their needs. Yes some people buy new cars to show off - just come to my kids school to see what goes on, however, if thats what floats their boat fine. I know what's in my bank account, I know my net worth and no car will ever convey that and nor would I want it to.

So to all you D5 chaps and chapesses out there, enjoy your car. Its not the car for me or others on here, but perhaps the Defender will be, either way keep posting and wear a thick skin, the rear is still ugly and the middle row of seats are not as good as my old bus's! Laughing Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #178984510th Mar 2017 10:24 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Moo spot on Thumbs Up
Horses for courses
D4 camera club 

Post #178986010th Mar 2017 10:57 pm
sportcoupe

United States 

Call me crazy, I ordered my D5 sight unseen. The first ones won't be in America till sometime in May.

It is the ONLY diesel suv with a low range transfer case under $70k available in America.

Post #178987611th Mar 2017 12:58 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

I wouldn't be surprised if....

A long wheelbase version of the D5 follows the model on sale right now...
It would solve in part the chronic lack of rear seat thigh support & lack of leg room.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #179000711th Mar 2017 3:44 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

You can always have the new Ssangyong XAVL

Post #179002111th Mar 2017 4:23 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

That looks more like it should be amphibious and perhaps the D5 isn't so bad after all.....
 Andy

Post #179006111th Mar 2017 5:38 pm
BLFarrar

Ssanyong....WOW !

jimbg wrote:
You can always have the new Ssanyong XAVL

if you've ever been in a Ssanjong you'd be impressed, I was driven from Incheon airport to the ski resort Yong Piong in Korea some years ago, solid, fast, quiet, COMFORTABLE...they then used Mercedes engines.
for Korea & the surrounding area a domestic vehicle, with Hyundai & KIA being competing makers.

Might be worth a look...?
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #179007311th Mar 2017 6:09 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Landrover forum, ssanyong cars

I'm reminded of the saying

"stop digging"

Or

"strong in the arm .... "
 Peter  
Post #179008911th Mar 2017 6:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>