Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Respected motoring journalists take on the D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Many thanks for all the comments regarding Big Country. When I first started working my boss would call you in to his office to discuss your writing. He would scrutinize every single word, followed by each sentence, then paragraph. Why have you used the word big instead of large, for example? Why this sentence first? And he'd be shouting as he did so. Probably so you could hear him better. So yes it's likely that all these years later I am overly sensitive about writing, even when it comes to thank you letters! If I have caused offence to anyone then I apologise and will remove the references to sloppy journalism. Although I maintain that a better phrase or sentence could have been used.

Post #178942710th Mar 2017 8:09 am
Pelyma

England 

I think you'll find Big Country is a nick name for the mid west states, cowboy and Indian territory, which Utah most certainly is. It's a bit like the midlands and the Black Country over here.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #178944510th Mar 2017 9:10 am
kirkyworld

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's a brave new world out there not all of us are going to relate to. I look forwards to 10 years from now when people are ragging them round play sites and fitting Disco 7 front bumpers and headlights Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
I'm sure it is amazing to drive but then I think the 4 is too.

Post #178945310th Mar 2017 9:32 am
Landroverfan1

Did not know that. Heard the midwest referred to as the Heartland or the corn belt but never Big Country. But always happy to lean something new. Thanks for letting me know.

Post #178945410th Mar 2017 9:34 am
Landroverfan1

Returning to the D5: I agree with comments about the 2nd row of seats. I have not taken the car out for a test drive as yet but sat in one and when the driver's seat was in the most comfortable position (at 6ft 4) I could not get my knees behind the seat. In terms of the rearmost seats I think many on this forum and beyond would have been amused by my attempts to get in and out. There was nearly a moment where I thought I'd get stuck in there.

But at the end of the day some people will like or love the car and purchase it and others will look elsewhere.

Post #178946010th Mar 2017 9:41 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

HughMartin wrote:
I have to agree with BLF. Second row seats not comfortable for any length of drive. Don't know what the third row are like but they looked if there was not as much space as in the D4. Only saving grace was the presence of an arm rest in the D5 that I was in but don't know if that is standard. I always thought the D3 and D4 should have had an arm rest.

D3/4s do have arm rests
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #178946310th Mar 2017 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landroverfan1

My 2014 D4 HSE Lux doesn't have an armrest in the middle seat 2nd row. I have often wondered if this was normal as am sure I saw it in other D4s and 3s.

Post #178946610th Mar 2017 9:57 am
Russell

United Kingdom 
Re: Quick answer

BLFarrar wrote:
"Yes"
But the question in the thread didn't mention that...
I may read reviews....but I don't have or have to have my opinion made up for me......

Maybe those who have bought a D5 or are going to will have thier egos boosted if they read a review that's not negative...maybe.....
..but as said before I feel really sorry for those who have to buy a D5 because it's the esteem thing to do or what's expected of them......

Even though in (not just) my opinion the D5 is far from ideal in critical areas ....like providing comfort for passengers. Fundamental stuff for a lifestyle vehicle that's meant to carry passengers..

Note: Others on here have said the just the same as I have....

You clearly do not like the D5 and that's great because we are all allowed our own opinions
However please don't tar me with your view "ego boasted esteemed thing" I buy a car because I like it and because I work hard in two jobs which allows me to be fortunate enough to change my car if I want to.
Had I not brought a D5 I would probably have brought an XC90 twin engine for a change
As for posting in here people want to see about the new car and hear what it is like and there are things which aren't as good as the D4 but at no time have I forced my opinion on others or tried to belittle or be nasty about them because they do not share my view or because they are not in a position to afford one. As far as I am concerned anyone who has a Land Rover is cut from the same cloth and will always earn my respect
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #178946810th Mar 2017 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well said Thumbs Up

Post #178946910th Mar 2017 10:07 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #178947110th Mar 2017 10:11 am
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, well said Russell
Thumbs Up
 Peter  
Post #178948910th Mar 2017 11:03 am
mini8334

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Quick answer

Russell wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:
"Yes"
But the question in the thread didn't mention that...
I may read reviews....but I don't have or have to have my opinion made up for me......

Maybe those who have bought a D5 or are going to will have thier egos boosted if they read a review that's not negative...maybe.....
..but as said before I feel really sorry for those who have to buy a D5 because it's the esteem thing to do or what's expected of them......

Even though in (not just) my opinion the D5 is far from ideal in critical areas ....like providing comfort for passengers. Fundamental stuff for a lifestyle vehicle that's meant to carry passengers..

Note: Others on here have said the just the same as I have....

You clearly do not like the D5 and that's great because we are all allowed our own opinions
However please don't tar me with your view "ego boasted esteemed thing" I buy a car because I like it and because I work hard in two jobs which allows me to be fortunate enough to change my car if I want to.
Had I not brought a D5 I would probably have brought an XC90 twin engine for a change
As for posting in here people want to see about the new car and hear what it is like and there are things which aren't as good as the D4 but at no time have I forced my opinion on others or tried to belittle or be nasty about them because they do not share my view or because they are not in a position to afford one.

Best part!

[/quote]As far as I am concerned anyone who has a Land Rover is cut from the same cloth and will always earn my respect[/quote]

DAANNNGGGG! Thumbs Up
 2016 D4 Landmark
Santorini Black
Removable Tow-Trust
Spare Wheel Guard

-------------
Previous:
2007 D3
TDV6 GS
Automatic
Blanked EGR
V8 Brake Upgrade
Harming Sat Nav Mod
Beanie Grill
De-Tango 

Post #178949110th Mar 2017 11:14 am
J77

Scotland 

well put Russell Thumbs Up

No one has to like it or buy it but we can surely refrain from nasty comments towards those that do buy one. I'm buying one because my 8 previous LRs have been totally reliable and I receive excellent service from my dealer, the new one suits my needs, doesn't suit everyone thats fair enough. I looked at the Volvo but the dealer was completely uninterested hence I stuck with the Disco.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #178949510th Mar 2017 11:24 am
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's the bit i cant understand the nasty/horrible/negative comments.... no need for them.

Post #178951410th Mar 2017 12:00 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

ENVY
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #178952010th Mar 2017 12:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >