Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

D5 rear (2nd row) seats - design fault?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Swiss4x4

D5 rear (2nd row) seats - design fault?

I know this has been mentioned by a few people before.

Unlike many on here, I was actually a big fan of this D5, I liked the looks (but not the sloping C pillar), the boot space was fine for my uses, and I loved the new interior. I could live with the one piece tailgate if I absolutely had to, as I also could with that ridiculous off set rear plate, but...........

Having just tried the 2nd row seats at a dealer (having read on these threads that the seat bases were low), I can confirm they will provide absolutely no under thigh support at all for any one over about 5'6", making long distances an uncomfortable place for back seat passengers. This has become a deal breaker for me, as we do several very long trips a year across Europe, and these are the worst rear seats I have tried in any premium car ever! Thinking I must be wrong, while at the dealer I tried all the other models in the showroom (DS, RRS, FFRR, etc,) and they were all so much better. Even the 'little' DS was way better than the apparently premium D5. I then compared it to the Insignia hire car I was using for the day, and that was better as well. What has LR done?

I think maybe they screwed up the panoramic roof and support placements, and as a consequence had to mount the 2nd row seats much lower than they normally would want to, after all, as I said, the other models LR sell do don't suffer from this design fault.

When I pointed these low seat bases out to the very nice and helpful sales guy, he agreed (he was about 5'10") and had no under thigh support at all when I got him to try it. He said that literally dozens of people have crawled all over their showroom D5, and absolutely nobody had ever mentioned this before I did! How is this possible? Do most potential customers of this class of car really not care what it is like to sit in the back?? I just don't get it.

In my opinion, most of the controversial issues on the car that get talked about on this site (overall body shape, sloping C pillar, small boot opening, one piece tailgate, long rear doors, etc.) were a deliberate design trade-off decision by the design team. I can only think that making the back seats the most uncomfortable for adults in the whole LR model range must have been something else, and a consequence of a design mess up with the roof or something.

Anyway I really wanted to love this car, but now I guess I need to re-look at the XC90 again. Oh dear.

Last edited by Swiss4x4 on 25th Feb 2017 6:21 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178321424th Feb 2017 7:34 pm
artschool

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

i think the rear seats are low to enable the loadspace to be flat(ish) when the seats are down.

Post #178337325th Feb 2017 12:40 am
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I guess everything is a compromise. I tried with my kids, 2 of whom tower over diminutive me. No question, the seat squab is quite low, but with the middle seats all the way back, there's more than enough room to extend your legs and not have your knees around your shoulders. It's not sit up and beg like the D4 - is a bit more recumbent.
 Java TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and a few other fancy bits
BMW C1 200 with too many options to list and the world's worst image 

Post #178338125th Feb 2017 2:07 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Spookily I was looking over the D5 in the showroom whilst waiting for my RRS to come back from service... brilliant design everywhere else but the salesman actually pointed this out to me and warned me of the issue.
He said when he was first shown the car he spoke to LR about it and recognised that it would be a deal breaker for many.
He told me to try it and he was exactly right....fine if you were only putting little ones in but dreadful for adults...

On the plus side he did say for me to try the front headrests! Boy are they comfortable! Very Happy

Post #178341225th Feb 2017 8:47 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Swiss4x4

Well said...
Honest view based on practicality.....after looking & buying a car you have to sit in it.....
(One of Jaguars sales lines is "it's a nice place to sit")

Not considering your passengers is to me a bit (maybe a lot) selfish....passengers have to have first of all safety then comfort....the urge to have "seven seats" above other (basic) things is to me ridiculous.
Seven seats - yes
Comfort (legroom, support etc) compromised - no

Having to live with the one piece tailgate......well that is a given & non negotiable....LandRover marketing & design made a choice based on some criterion....maybe to appeal to other markets to gain a wider customer base...but silly & impractical when it's been a success on the preceding model & on the FFRR
What will tell are volume sales...

Fundamentally when testers compare with comparable vehicles & comment on factors like these actual that's where potential sales will be reduced....people read & abide by test reports & base thier decisions to buy on these factors.
Seat positions & tailgate designs can't be facelift out or altered as an aftermarket kit.
The design concept is the foundation that takes a vehicle from launch to end of production....in the D3/4's case a brilliant concept with few drawbacks & to me no compromises.
Function dictated form

In the D5's case form dictates function....lack of comfort is something that will be a fact....uncomfortable passengers defies logic unless their all 5ft 6" or less

I feel really sorry for those who have the need to buy one.....I don't feel sorry at all for those who placed orders with car unseen.
Selling a perfectly formed & perfectly good D3/4 & moving to D5 ownership is to me a retrograde step - especially a D5 with a too small engine....I can see these vehicles as being hard to sell on....real Lemons
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 25th Feb 2017 10:32 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178342525th Feb 2017 9:27 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

As a footnote....anyone over 6 ft is going to brain themselves on the corner of the tailgate.... really sharp corner that is not head friendly! Very Happy

Post #178345325th Feb 2017 10:23 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

That's so they can sell you a first aid kit for a few gazillions. Whistle

Post #178345625th Feb 2017 10:34 am
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Odd to make a car with 7 seats - where you're clearly aiming for family and friends practicality - and then have all but 2 of the seats not really suitable for adults.....

Aftermarket could possibly provide alternative rear door/tailgate (but massively expensive) but the seat position is harder to properly resolve.

Skoda Kodiaq looking a good replacement. Or maybe it's a ploy as the new Defender will be ideal for our needs.....

Post #178350525th Feb 2017 12:41 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Isn't this down to rear headroom design slopping back and seats being incorporated for a gadget electric seats folding combination.As this has been a big issue on adverts press your phone appt to change seats remotely ? who gave this the go ahead no idea perhaps in a concept version yes but main streamfollowing on from D4 i just don't get it.
Like most manufactures each new version seems to tweak small body parts/engines etc of which if you are loosing the twin chassis surely this concept would of fitted on new chassis.
These cars i thought were tested by people ( perhaps owned D4 that use 7 seats alot and what you want out of it.
It seems now bosses now go with probable stats based on previous cars in range and how many they can sell, lost their way yes can it be rectified not short term and not in current discovery.
Landrover ask you to take survey about your needs did or have they listened ? not much quite a few have stated more faster screen probably using knob like most use improvement in quality of seats ? front yes rears not so.
How many wanted rear tailgate kept for it's uses did they ?NO so are they concerned or listening to these issues no because they know whats best and at what cost long term?

Post #178352325th Feb 2017 1:24 pm
Swiss4x4

I really think it's something to do with the panoramic glass roof. The overall thickness from the headlining to the glass is huge. As a consequence, LR needed to lower the seats from their normal (comfortable) position to allow for the headroom.

If only LR could offer a higher seat height if the car was ordered without the panoramic roof. I'd jump at that.

I am also interested from those that have ordered this car and plan to use it with adults in the back. Are you really not concerned about this? To me it is a big deal, can't imagine any one wanting to do a long trip in the back, yet isn't that the point of a car like this? Maybe I just have an unusual use case, though judging by the amount of (mainly UK registered) D4s, RRSs, and FFRRs I see on European motorways, I don't think I am alone in this.

Post #178360325th Feb 2017 4:34 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I was going to "re join " the forum so that I appeared to be a fresh poster with new views but decided it would be childish.

Peter  
Post #178361025th Feb 2017 4:53 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

"Re join"? Did you flounce? Shocked

PS, ah, understood. Being a bit slow today. Embarassed

Post #178362725th Feb 2017 5:19 pm
sportcoupe

United States 

In Peter's picture, you can clearly see the lack of under thigh support for second row passengers.

Post #178369425th Feb 2017 7:30 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

I presume the second row is not slid back in the photo to allow legroom for the 3rd row?

Post #178370225th Feb 2017 7:36 pm
J77

Scotland 

Swiss4x4 wrote:
I really think it's something to do with the panoramic glass roof. The overall thickness from the headlining to the glass is huge. As a consequence, LR needed to lower the seats from their normal (comfortable) position to allow for the headroom.

If only LR could offer a higher seat height if the car was ordered without the panoramic roof. I'd jump at that.

I am also interested from those that have ordered this car and plan to use it with adults in the back. Are you really not concerned about this? To me it is a big deal, can't imagine any one wanting to do a long trip in the back, yet isn't that the point of a car like this? Maybe I just have an unusual use case, though judging by the amount of (mainly UK registered) D4s, RRSs, and FFRRs I see on European motorways, I don't think I am alone in this.

If I was concerned I wouldn't have ordered Thumbs Up

I sat in the back and I'm not exactly small, yes they seem lower but I wouldn't say I was uncomfortable, 3rd row seating also fine for adults.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #178378225th Feb 2017 10:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >