Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Test drive reports
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

To be honest I'm not bothered who said what and without wishing to be rude, I am not getting into a debate over this, you love it, I loathe it.
 Andy

Post #178267023rd Feb 2017 5:21 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Can't say I love it yet, I just enjoy opposing all the negative stuff.

Especially as the general public hasn't actually drove it.
 Peter  
Post #178267423rd Feb 2017 5:28 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The back is ugly in the flesh - ive seen loads for months.

The defender is a funny one - many LRs are better off road...it does depend on your definition (i might argue the range rover is the best)...but the defender is still the best because of the complete package - however deficient in many areas.

Yes i would prefer taking a rr any day of the week.
 Mike  
Post #178277023rd Feb 2017 8:17 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I thought this thread was about test DRIVE reports, not about how it looks Whistle

Post #178281023rd Feb 2017 9:06 pm
petersw

Yes, apologies

Here is a report on its driving qualities

Peter  
Post #178281723rd Feb 2017 9:11 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Booked in tomorrow myself for a test drive, just wondered what everyone else thought that it DROVE like rather than what it looked like, after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder so they say Thumbs Up

Post #178282223rd Feb 2017 9:22 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

petersw wrote:
Here is a report on its driving qualities

Isn't that just someone reading the press release while driving the LR approved route before a very nice lunch and business class return home?
Get real ! Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #178284223rd Feb 2017 9:50 pm
J77

Scotland 

I thought it drove fantastic, so much so I'm going to re-order an S 2.0 SD4 with a few options, which has everything I want apart from the better headlights at a far more reasonable price. From press test drives the 2.0 seems to be pretty good.

Love my current D4 but I enjoyed the 1hr 1/2 I spent with it yesterday, the build quality is pretty good a massive improvement over LRs of old, the wooden trim is plastic but looks more like wood than what's offered on the D4. The Incontrol Pro infotainment system is nice, swiping through the screens is very fluid. It does however feel like a tank on the road, not helped by the fact you sit in it more than on it like the D4, the rear seats do feel lower than the D4 and not as comfortable the loadspace does look smaller than the D4 and 3rd row not as easy to get into as the D4, as for the plank in the boot it felt sturdy but a bit of a pain and will give you dirt legs it you have the fixed height tow bar.

So after the slight disappointment of yesterday, I spent last night looking at replacements but kept coming back to the D5, so looked at what I want from a car. I don't tow and spend most of the time in it on my own, so do I really need the 3.0? No. I always have seat covers on my current one, so do I need the leather interior? No don't have it on my current one, Also do I need a premium metallic paint at £1660? No. So I've managed to slash almost £8k of my last order. So tomorrow I will be back at the dealers to see if I'm within my budget, failing that I will be happy enough with my D4.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #178284723rd Feb 2017 9:59 pm
petersw

Apologies CC
If people want me to stop posting here I will. Let me know.
 Peter  
Post #178284923rd Feb 2017 9:59 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Would be a shame if you stopped posting Thumbs Up

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #178285923rd Feb 2017 10:18 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

No need to apologise!
I'm just explaining how those things work... post away. Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #178286523rd Feb 2017 10:31 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

B16 KJR wrote:
I thought this thread was about test DRIVE reports, not about how it looks Whistle

Out on the road it drives nice, less road noise than the D4 and less body roll although i was expecting it to be more planted than it was on fast corners. Didn't test the Petrol which is the one I'm considering. The 3.0 was very nice but not the massive jump i was somehow geared up for. Take off when you floor it was more immediate and the gearbox was shifting well, it seemed to be dropping gears when you gave it some poke more readily than the D4.

Ive pretty much tested all the alternates in the last few months. The D5 wasn't the most exhilarating drive but it wasn't the worst either I would say overall road performance was "ok" but I am hoping to try the Petrol soon Thumbs Up

One thing that was interesting was there was definitely more resistance on the Park brake release. In all my D3/4s its always been hardly noticeable (unless it was on the blink Laughing ) this one had a very noticeable feel of resistance then release. Wonder if the design changed? haven't noticed it on the RRS or FFRR.

still looks like an absolute dogs dinner from the back, I hate the rears practical design and looks Whistle
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #178286823rd Feb 2017 10:35 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

J77 wrote:
I thought it drove fantastic, so much so I'm going to re-order an S 2.0 SD4 with a few options, which has everything I want apart from the better headlights at a far more reasonable price. From press test drives the 2.0 seems to be pretty good.

Love my current D4 but I enjoyed the 1hr 1/2 I spent with it yesterday, the build quality is pretty good a massive improvement over LRs of old, the wooden trim is plastic but looks more like wood than what's offered on the D4. The Incontrol Pro infotainment system is nice, swiping through the screens is very fluid. It does however feel like a tank on the road, not helped by the fact you sit in it more than on it like the D4, the rear seats do feel lower than the D4 and not as comfortable the loadspace does look smaller than the D4 and 3rd row not as easy to get into as the D4, as for the plank in the boot it felt sturdy but a bit of a pain and will give you dirt legs it you have the fixed height tow bar.

So after the slight disappointment of yesterday, I spent last night looking at replacements but kept coming back to the D5, so looked at what I want from a car. I don't tow and spend most of the time in it on my own, so do I really need the 3.0? No. I always have seat covers on my current one, so do I need the leather interior? No don't have it on my current one, Also do I need a premium metallic paint at £1660? No. So I've managed to slash almost £8k of my last order. So tomorrow I will be back at the dealers to see if I'm within my budget, failing that I will be happy enough with my D4.

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now!! Wink Thumbs Up
 Today is the oldest you've been and the youngest you'll ever be again.  
Post #178288723rd Feb 2017 11:24 pm
J77

Scotland 

It's not so much indecision, more priced out.

The only reason I went for the SE was to get the 3.0ltr engine and the LED headlights but, that was always going to push the budget. If it had been a Range Rover I may have been a bit more flexible with the budget. However the S spec suits me more both in price and kit level.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #178289223rd Feb 2017 11:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So the question is: Do you really need a D5 or will something else do?

I've also been pondering what to do. I went to buy a D5 in December, having waited so long for it, and didn't. I'm fortunate to be a cash buyer and for the past few months I've been deciding what alternatives there are and what to do.

This week I decided that I would use the £70k I had put aside for a D5 and use it to but two more buy to lets. Rather than lose a wopping lump in depreciation for a car that doesn't give me more than I've got, I'm adding another two buy to let properties to my portfolio. I'm a bricks and mortars man. I know its lousey on tax etc but at least I own them and have control and I know my daughters will be OK.

My view is that in two years time, when my old bus is 14 years old, electric and hybrids will have moved on significantly, and that's where the future is. In the mean time I shall enjoy reading the reviews and how people in enjoy them. Thumbs Up

So - do you really need a D5, is it worth the financial burden and what else could you do with the money?
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder