DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

MY16 Landmark cf MY11 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
MY16 Landmark cf MY11 HSE

I've just spent two hours driving my folks' MY16 Landmark up to Shukers to get a few things fixed. Here are a few observations on the differences between that and my MY11 HSE.

Headed off in the dark, immediately noticed the lights are so much better than my car. Cornering lights noticeable on slight bends in the slow road which was a bit odd at first. Dipped beam and full beam much better.

Power & delivery nice and smooth, tried flappy paddles a few times but mostly didn't bother. The 8 speed box seemed quite happy to find its own way and didn't do anything I didn't want.

Satnav is just same-old, same-old LR rubbish, clunky, often late and inspite of new layout isn't any better than I had in an 06 D3 HSE. Entry of characters in a field is stupidly slow and results in misspelling and having to start again. It does have the phone battery/sig strength on the display which is useful and the change in the instrument LCD bit is useful.

Sound/bangin toonz are better than my HSE, much better. Back to on a par with my 11 year old D3 S. Well that's some sort of progress s'pose. Odd thing with the radio is that if I stop and am on the phone it kills the BT connection. I spent quite a long time on the phone in my HSE yesterday, incl 30 minutes after I parked up, and it didn't do that.

Reversing camera is rubbish resolution still. I think Apollo 11 had better cameras on the moon almost 50 years ago. Yellow wiggly lines are useful along with amber bits to warn of things close behind.

Stop/start would take a bit of getting used to and, if it was me, I'd be looking to switch it off perminantly. Was interesting at a set of lights when we were 3 abreast and we almost had a 3 way starter motor shoot out when the lights changed to see who had the fastest reflexes.

And the elephant in the room, the absolutely woeful heating system. Best I could get was luke warm when dialled up to 28c, or if the temp is dialled to HI it's soon far too hot. No way of setting a comfy temp I could find so oscillated between the two and moderating HI with the fan. How you lot put up with that I don't know. I'd give them two, three max, chances to fix the car, if that didn't work I'd reject the car. It is seriously pants and for a so called quality manufacturer to churn out cars is unbelievable. Obviously a bit of British Leyland lives on. LR should seriously hang its head in shame, though I suspect they don't give a monkies as there is a new model coming out and think why should they bother?

Sorry for minor rant but sitting in the dealer's showroom keeping my mind off other matters.

Post #177845214th Feb 2017 9:44 am
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I've just completed a 1500 mile jaunt to Southern Germany and back and agree there is something amiss with the Climate Control. At high speed 28 is too cool, turn up to high and someones turned the sauna on Shocked Seems to have more control at lower speeds.

Generally though, a superb cruiser, had to give it some beans and on the unrestricted stretches of the Autobahn, and I bottled out long before the Disco ran out of steam, 110mph was like sitting at 80!!

Sat Nav was ok, although sometimes leaves the last voice instruction a second too late. Although it did take me all the way there without going on a Toll road without prompting. It must know I'm a 'Tight Wad' Whistle

Forgot to add, Stop Start would be OK if it worked 100% of the time, mine just has a mind of it's own and works when it feels like it, which is about 50% of the time.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #177846014th Feb 2017 9:57 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

I had a 2016 loan car while my 2010 was in for a service, and found it pretty underwhelming, considering it was 6 years and 80k miles newer it pretty much felt like being in the same car with a worse reverse camera! I can't say I noticed the heating issue as it was in the summer but must say that it's pretty off putting, is it a problem with the system that exists in ALL newer D4's or is it just for the unlucky few?

Is there a way of permanently turning off the stop/start?

Post #177847314th Feb 2017 10:24 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Don't know in answer to both questions. Don't get me wrong, it a lovely car to drive but still suffers from the LR "that'll do" approach.

Post #177847414th Feb 2017 10:29 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The BT and heating issues need to be sorted, I don't have these problems.

If anything, I think the lights on my MY10 HSE were better Laughing

In my experience the reversing cameras vary wildly in quality. I've had good and bad, luckily the one in my MY16 is fine, but not as good as the MY10.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #177851214th Feb 2017 11:53 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I've owned 2 x 16MY Discos.

The first one had a perfect climate control and stop/start. The second one had exactly that problem with the heater and a non functioning stop start.

One trip to the dealer later and the the climate control has been "recalibrated" and now works fine, whilst the stop start now works, it too has a mind of its own! The logic is very odd and best of all, it seems to know when I've arrived somewhere and it will now not only cut the engine, but turn the ignition completely off as well. It's done it a few time now and never at a stop in the midst of a journey Confused

Post #177853814th Feb 2017 1:09 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

They've just shown me the sensor surround/foam bit and it is the updated bit. Hoping reseating the sensor and/or software update will sort this out. Confused

Post #177854314th Feb 2017 1:14 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

I'm viewing a 2014 in a couple of hours, I'll be sure to check the heaters! Is it just that they dont get warm that I need to be looking for?

Post #177854714th Feb 2017 1:17 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I don't think the problem goes back that far, MY15 & 16 or is it just MY16? Can't remember as didn't really pay much attention when it first started. Confused

Post #177854914th Feb 2017 1:20 pm
Dave T

England 

my March 16 heating works exactly the same as my 2012 did, it is a strange problem! As for clunky Sat Nav, you should have tried the 2012 version, the 2016 is infinitely better!!!!!
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #177855214th Feb 2017 1:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've moved from a MY2015 to MY2016 and the heating is definitely different, in my old car I just always left it on auto at 22C with the new one I'm having to have it turned up to 26c and still the top half of my body is cold Evil or Very Mad This one seems to mist up a lot which I haven't had with any of the previous ones.

If I'm on the phone and come to a stop and turning the engine off, the bluetooth keeps the connection going until I finish the call Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #177855314th Feb 2017 1:25 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The heating on my MY16 is not as good as my previous MY13. Its OK - ish.

Starts off from cold and gets warm pretty quick, but once its up to the temp it thinks it should be at it then starts to cool off so lots of fiddling. I did have the fixes applied to get it to read the correct outside temp and this seems to have made a bit of difference unless I am imaging it.

The start / stop - my is usually OK and I have gotten used to lifting my foot a tad when at lights so that it starts up. The bit that is intermittent is when I come to a stop on the drive, sometimes it just stays on, sometimes it goes in to what feels like start/stop but you have to still hit the button to switch it off, other times ( for no reason) it seems to switch itself completely off ( I thought it was if I removed my seatbelt but could be wrong). Issue is I then hit the start/stop button not knowing what mode its in and start it again. painful

Its the first time in LR that I have had xenons, they are OK but only a bit better than the halogen I had on my previous one, not a patch on my PHEV though

The lag I had on my MY13 is not there and super smooth so pleased with that.

The sat nav compared to my MY13 is MUCH better
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #177856914th Feb 2017 2:09 pm
hilly10

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

MY15 HSE I have no problems with the heating at all. Reverse Camera is as good as my daughters Merc. Every now and again the stop start plays up. Very rarely use Sat Nav. When I had my E Class in two years i only used it twice and that was in France.
 17 Golf GT TDI Tornado Red
BMW 5 Series Touring

New Toy 1974 TR6 Memosa Yellow 

Post #177859514th Feb 2017 3:37 pm
Pelyma

England 

After the update my heating is fine, set it at 22c and I don't have to fiddle with it. Biggest issue I have is unlocking the boot when the engine is running Evil or Very Mad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #177860914th Feb 2017 4:27 pm
LT

Can't you open the boot with the engine running provided the gearbox is in P ?
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #177861414th Feb 2017 4:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >